Veendam - When being Renovated?

MalNZ

Hi

Does anyone know when Veendam is going into Dry Dock?

I thought that she was the first ship of the HAL group to renovate, but I noticed that one of the others ships, (sorry forgot name), has been completed.

We are in cabin 514 on Main Deck - is this area OK, as have two children aged 6 and 7?

Thanks for you replies

Mal NZ

Does anyone know when Veendam is going into Dry Dock?

As far as I know, she's still scheduled for March 29, one week from this Sunday.

We are in cabin 514 on Main Deck - is this area OK, as have two children aged 6 and 7?

Not sure exactly what you're asking here :confused:... There's not much trouble they could get into I should think.

If you go to http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Veendam you can view deck plans if you need to.

Perhaps if you have more specific questions others can help. :)

Also, the 'Signature of Excellence' program is being implemented in phases, with different ships being updated to 'different levels' at different times. The Veendam will be the first for this next round of improvements. Check http://www.hollandamerica.com/SOE for more info. :D

Is cabin 514 in a noisy area?

Our Panama Canal cruise was in a stateroom in almost the same position.

Other than 'normal ship noises' it should be pretty quiet except with the ship is coming into or leaving port. You may hear thrusters, anchor chain/motor sounds, etc. that can can be surprising to hear the first time or two.

If the ship encounters very rough waters you may hear other sounds too. ;)

If anything sounds 'scary' or you don't think it sounds right, please call the front desk - they're used to it, and if something IS wrong they need to know.

When the door is closed and the lights are off your room will be very, very dark. Many people - especially those with children - who have an inside stateroom bring a night light to plug in during their cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Is cabin 514 in a noisy area?
When we were in an OV in that vicinity we were kept awake (for a few nights anyway) by the bow-wake roar all night long, but you probably won't hear that in an inside.

When the door is closed and the lights are off your room will be very, very dark. Many people - especially those with children - who have an inside stateroom bring a night light to plug in during their cruise.
Or if you leave the TV on all night, tuned to the bow-camera channel (43 I think?), you will not only have a tiny bit of light but also an "artificial window" when the sun comes up!

I have just saved some money on our cruise, but now are in cabin 690 in L Category, still on main deck. Very near the back of the ship though. Anyone stayed in this area of the ship.

What are the positives and negatives.

We have asked for a upgrade if comes available at a good price.

Thanks

Mal NZ

I have just saved some money on our cruise, but now are in cabin 690 in L Category, still on main deck. Very near the back of the ship though. Anyone stayed in this area of the ship.

What are the positives and negatives.

We have asked for a upgrade if comes available at a good price.

Thanks

Mal NZ

The aft area on the main deck can have some vibration and a little bit more 'ships noise' as you are low down and towards the back.

There are often good prices to upgrade to an HH category obstructed view cabin on the S ships. It might be worth checking - I personally love these cabins as although they have a blocked view, they still have a window where light gets in, and their location on the promenade allows you to be outside and taking in the air in just a few moments - it's what I call the poor mans balcony cabin ( me being the poor man ;) )

Archived