Dolphin swim - which company to go with?

kermiefrg

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best company to go with for a dolphin swim? I'm looking at Dolphin Dove, Shore Trips, and Dolphin Discovery.

TIA!

P.S. I just found this board yesterday and it has been SO helpful in planning our trip. Thank you for all the valuable info!

There are only two dolphin operators in Cayman - Dolphin Discovery and Dolphin Cove.

Any other companies purporting to offer a dolphin swim in Cayman are simply acting as booking agents for one of the two actual operators. They can pass along your reservation information and take a commission. They may be able to provide additional services such as arrange transportation or arrange an additional tour.

Look closely to see if you are getting good value for your money or if you would be better off booking directly with the company that actually offers the swims.

Both dolphin operations in Cayman are quite new. The original poster may receive some feedback but I doubt anyone on this board has had the opportunity to go with both operators and provide a comparison.

We are going with Dolphin Cove and chose them because we did not have to pay up front, and they will pick us up at the pier. Also, I understand that the swim here is in a cove, whereas the other, dolphin discovery is in a pool. Dolphin Discovery wanted payment up front, and if we were unable to stop at Grand Cayman due to rough seas preventing tendering, which occurs frequently, we were to fax or mail a letter from the cruise line, on cruise line letterhead to them, to get our money back. Not worth the hassle.

I am interested in doing a dolphin swim in Grand Cayman also. I can find Dolphin Discovery and Dolphin World on line but I cannot find "Dolphin Cove" that MrBill923 And CECRN were referring to. Am I missing something? lol.... help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thanks Drew. Dolphin Cove could definitely use a bit of work on their website. I was wondering if it was a legitimate excursion or not. It would be nice if they posted prices.

Kermifrg did you book? I'm still a little confused about not paying upfront and definitely concerned about having to cancel for whatever reason because of the ship or something else.... I guess I'll email them and ask them all my questions!!! Thanks again.

I didn't book with them yet. Something about the Dolphin Cove website just makes me nervous. I looked at our cruise excursions and it's about the same price to go with them...I'm wondering if I'd just feel better if I booked through the cruise line.

I didn't book with them yet. Something about the Dolphin Cove website just makes me nervous. I looked at our cruise excursions and it's about the same price to go with them...I'm wondering if I'd just feel better if I booked through the cruise line.

dolphin discovery is way much professional, just have to look at their web pages and the recognitions they have, they have in other islands like cozumel and the british virgin islands,

cheers

That was my reaction to their website too. We were thinking dolphins in GC since we're doing a beach day in Cozumel and then that just left a "dolphin encounter" in Roatan....what to do, what to do.lol.

I agree with you manatsea and may just end up booking with them and through the ship....

• 3 weeks later...

We used Dolphin Discovery in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico last year. They were OK. We swam with the dolphins previously on the Big Island of Hawaii, and personally, we preferred that experience. DD was good, just different than we were expecting. As long as you are comfortable in the water, you should have a good time.

I am considering Dolphin Cove only because they offer a "dolphin encounter" program, while Dolphin Discovery does not. My daughter is 6 years old, so she can't do a "swim" -- only an "encounter." So our only option in Grand Cayman is Dolphin Cove.

However the Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel offers an encounter for the littler ones -- so we could do it there instead. But then I'd have to give up my Dune Buggies. Has anyone done the Dolphin Discovery encounter in Cozumel? If so, how long does it take? Dolphin Cove in Cayman says their encounter lasts 1/2 an hour.

Thanks!

Leadft:

My daughters and I did the Dolphin Swim in Cayman (Dolphin Cove) just last week. People were doing the encounter there as well which I think lasted about 1/2 hour. Very nice facility. We had a great time. Nice 10-15 minute bus ride to Dolphin Cove and you will see some beautiful birds as you walk to the entrance of Dolphin Cove.

Just back from the Freedom. Used Dolphin Cove. It was very nice. Water was cold at first, but once you are in......NO PROBLEM MAN! Spent about 1/2 hour in water with one dolphin interacting with 10 of us. It was great. Bought DVD for $60, but have not watched it yet, as we just got back last night. They did not have lockers, but have seperate area close to water to sit and change, and have cubby holes to put stuff. They are within view of the water, and there are no strangers walking around.

Archived