Dawn Review 2/7-2/14/09

red sox girl

This was my 1st NCL cruise but my 5th overall all others have been on carnival. This was just me and a friend that went she has been on NCL 1 other time.

We both flew in the day before and stayed at the Embassy Suites Miami. We used SAS transportation they were on time and waiting for us. At the Embassy Suites there isnt a lot to do in that area but we took a taxi over to a stip mall and bought some last minute stuff. The Embassy Suites was great nice rooms and strong drinks. They have a breakfast in the morning it included cold cereals hot pancakes all the meats and cooked to order eggs and omlets.

Morning of the cruise we decided to just use a taxi to get to the port it was 25.00 the shuttle the hotel offers is 12.00 pp so we decided for an extra buck we can leave when we want. We got to the port at about 11:30 and we were on the ship at noon. It was very fast getting on the lines moved very fast.

Seeing it was just us 2 girls we decided on an inside (no need for romantic nights on a balcony). the cabin was very small and I couldnt imagine a 3rd person. The cabin was always kept clean the only complaint I had was they always only gave us 1 facecloth. I like my friend but not that much. Not that big a deal but a pain when it was time to shower I had to use a hand towel. I didnt spend much time in there except to shower get dressed and sleep.

The ship was great I didnt see anything wrong with it they were always cleaning and painting. I spent most days by the pool I didnt do any bingo and only saw a few shows. The one show from the 1st night I wasnt that impressed and it almost seemed like a sales pitch. They would show an act then John the crusie director would talk about bingo or pictures then another act would come on and once that act was done John was talking about buying strip tickets. I know times are tuff but come on. That was a big turn off and we ended leaving before the show was over. The magician was great fun to watch. We saw 2 of his shows. Most nights I was in the karaoke bar Dazzles. I met lots of great people in there. The last night they even got me up to sing. I did alot on this ship I entered a contest came in last but it was fun. I did line dancing on the pool deck parties. me and my friend went to the white hot party and everyone thought we looked great with our big white boas and hats.

106.jpg.0f396ef00e5022379e63d4bddb12d17e.jpg

Ports

Samana we had a private excursion but they cancelled due to ruff seas so we decided to just saty on the ship and run up our bar bill. Most people we talked to wished they had done the same.

St Thomas we had both been there before we did some shopping. Then went to the beach it seemed everytime I went to lay out in the sun it would rain. I took cover under a tree and it would stop. Finally we just went back to the ship and drank some more.

Tortola we took the ferry to Virgin Gorda used speedys ferry and it was great. My friend didnt want to walk to the ferry and tried to get a cab but they wouldnt take us said it was to close and it was. Once out of the port area take a left and walk maybe 5 minutes and you are there. Once at Virgin Gorda we went to the baths. Sat on the beach swam in the ocean and I mannaged to get a little red that day. She didnt want to go into the caves so I went bymyself. Very easy to walk thru I heard a lot on these boards that it is tight but I didnt think it was at all. I did manage to get lost in them I couldnt find the beach on the other end and back tracked to where I came in. I didnt want to miss our taxi back to the ferry I spent about 30 minutes in the caves. I was probably right at the end when I decided to turn back. Once we got back to tortola we did some more shopping then back to the ship.

GSC we managed to get on the 1st ferry (thanks Lee) we had chairs right up front with an umbrella still a little sore from my burn. We went swimming and I decided to walk on the coral to the light house. Another friend I met on the ship took me there. he knew the way and it was a hike. But well worth it make sure you have shoes for it. the coral is sharp and you have to jump over spots. Well I guess you dont have to but I didnt want to walk in the little ponds of water with algee growing in it. My friend said I was gone for 2 hours but it didnt seem like it. I think the lighthouse is a mile away from the beach where you tender into.

Food

well that is hard to say. I didnt have anything I wouldnt eat but most things were just average. We did go to the japanese restaurant woth the 25.00 but that was the first time I ever had that kind of food so it was good to me. The chefs made it fun and it was one of the best meals I had on the ship. The fish and chips were excelent. the lobster was very small when the waiter took it out of the shell he was so embarrased he brought me 2 more without me asking. Im not kidding the first one the meat was about the size of my thumb. We went to Aqua 1 night and the wait staff wasnt up to par I asked for coffee after the meal and he brought me an empty cup me and my friend just laughed then he finally got me a refill on my empty cup. She had asked for more butter for the bread and a iced tea she got that after we were done eating. I had the steak and was very disappointed in it. it was smothered in gravy. I was expecting a nice cut of steak but it wasnt. But overall the food wasnt bad.

I was everywhere on the ship I did as much as I could I was up at 7am everyday and in the cabin most nights at 3am when everything shut down. We had a meet and mingle on Sunday and it was a great turn out. We did a small gift exchange and had the chance to meet some of the ships officers. And me and my friend did the drawing for Dinner with the officers and won so that was neat.

I had a great time on the Dawn I would do it again. the ship was nice the crew was great and it was just a really good time.

Archived