where is the best snorkeling in So Caribbean?

tomlpzoo

We are going on Celebrity Summit March 7. Where do u recommend we snorkel....I am a second timer and my companion is a first timer. We need to be provided equipment including life vests. We want to see colorful coral and a variety of colorful fish. Our ports are San Juan, St Marteen, Dominica ,Grenada, Barbados, Tobago. We are also looking to spend time on a typical picture perfect tropical beach with pure white sands,palm trees and clear tourquoise waters..What is the best beach? Thanks

The best snorkeling in the southern Caribbean is in Bonaire, but unfortunately you're not going there.

As to the ports that you are going to, I would suggest a snorkeling trip to Champagne Reef booked through the ship's shore excursions. That way you'll end up with an operator who can provide all of the equipment that you'll need.

We are going on Celebrity Summit March 7. Where do u recommend we snorkel....I am a second timer and my companion is a first timer. We need to be provided equipment including life vests. We want to see colorful coral and a variety of colorful fish. Our ports are San Juan, St Marteen, Dominica ,Grenada, Barbados, Tobago. We are also looking to spend time on a typical picture perfect tropical beach with pure white sands,palm trees and clear tourquoise waters..What is the best beach? Thanks

Hello,

First off... buy your own snorkel equipment. It will pay for itself. You do not have to spend alot, just make sure you get a mask that fits well.

San Juan; For a nice resort type day with okay snorkeling, nice pool, beach, loungers and beach, go to Hilton Caribe. Go to the front desk and pay for day pass. $20 last time I was there. If they tell you they don't do day passes, tell them you have done it before and you plan spend copious amounts of money on drinks and food and drinks.

For a lower cost venue, go to El Escabron Park. There is a decent beach and decent snorkeling around the rocks. Best to go in the morning if possible. You will have the place to yourselves.

A taxi can take you to either place. You can arrange for pickup by the same driver at a set time, phone them, or grab an available cab.

St. Maarten; Take a taxi to the Ferry to Pinel Island. Awesome beach place. Choose your lounger according to which restaurant/bar you want to patronize. I think we used the orange umbrellas. They were great. Snorkel by the rocks to the south of the dock. If you have extra cash to spend, try one of the just caught lobsters. Arrange a time to be picked up by your taxi driver. You will not get stranded. Allow some time to stroll around Phillipsburg and hop the water taxi back to your ship.

Dominica; Arrange a tour (we used Beto). You can usually customize your tour. Go to emerald falls (a bit of a hike, use bug spray especially on you ankles and legs). Go for a swim under the falls. Awesome! Spend some time snorkeling Champage Reef. Listen to the bubbles coming out of the rocks. Very good variety of fish and coral. You need to enter the water on a rubber mat. Slide in on your rear. Trust me it will much more graceful. Dominica is not an island of beaches.

Barbados; For snorkeling, go to Folkstone Park. It's not great, but it is a nice place. Have Banks Beer and say hi to Sinclair for me. He owns the little bar/snack shack. For one of the best beaches anywhere, go to The Crane Hotel and Crane Beach. They charge a hefty fee, but the beach is a stunner.

There are many other options on these islands. I have been to all these islands multiple times and these are the things I have enjoyed the most. Any questions, let me know.

At the end of March we will be sailing on the Carnival Freedom to San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. I think we will end up heading to Barcardi in San Juan - so other than that - any recommendations for the best place to snorkel? If you had to choose to snorkel at only one of the stops, where would it be?

Thanks for any info!!

Antigua, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, Santo Domingo Dominican Republic, any suggestions for great places and deals?

Why did you recommend to bring your own equipment?

I recommend getting your own equipment for several reasons.

The investment is not that much. Everything is sure to fit properly. You have the ability to snorkel wherever you want, not limited to expensive excursions and places that have rental gear. I know where my snorkel has been. Have you seen how they "wash" the rental snorkels? :eek:

At the end of March we will be sailing on the Carnival Freedom to San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. I think we will end up heading to Barcardi in San Juan - so other than that - any recommendations for the best place to snorkel? If you had to choose to snorkel at only one of the stops, where would it be?

Thanks for any info!!

If you can, do an excursion to The Indians. These rocks are a boat ride away from Tortola and near Norman Island. The best snorkeling I have done in the BVI and USVI. This would be my numero uno pick.

On St. Thomas, Coki Beach has pretty good snorkeling. When facing the water, go to the rocky shore to the left. It can be kind of high pressure here. Just go with the flow and let one of the "vendors" adopt you and pay $5 for a couple of loungers. They will take care of you. As always, watch your valuables.

Have a great cruise.

If you can, do an excursion to The Indians. These rocks are a boat ride away from Tortola and near Norman Island. The best snorkeling I have done in the BVI and USVI. This would be my numero uno pick.

On St. Thomas, Coki Beach has pretty good snorkeling. When facing the water, go to the rocky shore to the left. It can be kind of high pressure here. Just go with the flow and let one of the "vendors" adopt you and pay $5 for a couple of loungers. They will take care of you. As always, watch your valuables.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the info - I'll take a look and see if I can find anything for The Indians.

Vegas Man;

Main reason to why not to take ship's excursion is because it's less expensive? If so, you got my vote! There will be 6 of us traveling with 2 kids(12 and 8). Assume that taxi drivers will make sure you get back on board!

Thanks

In Barbados take a cab to Payne's Bay, this is where they feed the turtles. No need to take a ship's excursion unless you really want to.

attachment.php?attachmentid=104511&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233771961 attachment.php?attachmentid=104512&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233772003 attachment.php?attachmentid=104513&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233772040 attachment.php?attachmentid=104514&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233772077 attachment.php?attachmentid=104515&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233772109

Vegas Man;

Main reason to why not to take ship's excursion is because it's less expensive? If so, you got my vote! There will be 6 of us traveling with 2 kids(12 and 8). Assume that taxi drivers will make sure you get back on board! Thanks

We usually will only go one one excursion or tour per cruise or vacation. We prefer to take a taxi or bus and go where the locals hang out. We loved the Tiami catamaran tour in Barbados. I would love to just go to Payne's Bay next time and spend all day with the turtles. It was $99 pp through Carnival. $85 through Tiami. I would guess a taxi would be less than $40 RT. Lunch, chairs, drinks and umbrellas will not cost you $400. More like $150-200.

I didn't know I was running for anything. Or are you talking about a few years ago when everyone and their uncle was on the ballot for Governor?

I agree the sooner you buy a snorkel, mask & fins the sooner you will enjoy the freedom of snorkeling over other adventures. You can just grab a taxi and head right to a prime beach and dive in.

I have been in Aruba and taken a $5 taxi ride north from Eagle Beach and walked right in. Within an hour tour boats costing $35-50 pp came into shore and anchored 200 feet off the same beach! Two hours latter our taxi driver returned and drove us back. Half the hassle, a half the time, and 1/50th the cost four our party of four. :p

totally agree-can't tell you how many times on many islands we have seen tour boats come to where we are snorkeling from the shore. the eeewww :eek:factor is enough to make you want your own CLEAN,well fitting equipment. my husband LOVES his new,short,split fins that fit in our carryon(we only take carryon). i don't use them. we paid a lot of money to snorkel off grand cayman. were driven about 2 min,got on the boat,took forever for the "talk",etc. finally time to leave and they told us to jump off the back of the boat that was docked!!! a while later they moved the boat out a little bit-i could easily have swum from the shore. since then we do our own trips. these boards provide all the info you need.

Archived