Venice

We were staying near St. Mark's and caught the vaporetto there. Took quite a while to go all around the island. On the return trip, I noticed that if we got off at Ospidale (sp?), it was less than a 10 minute walk to the hotel! Conversely, if you were comfortable, you could walk to the other side of the island to catch the vaporetto and save yourself about 30 minutes!

Cathy

;)Hey, sparky 1664, just printed out the map you sent me. We are on Legend of the Seas, sailing from Venice on Sun. June 21, also. So there will be a shuttle from the ship to where? I really appreciate your help, if you were sailing on the same ship I would hire you to be our tour guide:pMartha

Hi Martha,

Well it looks as if you are all set for day 1. The ship's tour should take care of the transport to St. Marks & then you can head off to Burano on your own. :)

As for the port shuttle, it goes to/from the port to Piazzale Roma. I suspect it will only run from about 8am until 4-5 pm, whilst the ships (MSC) are in port. It is a single decker bus/coach & anyone can use it. The only thing is, I'm not sure how often it makes the run.

On Sunday then, you can look for the shuttle or maybe walk to Piazzale Roma. From here you can take a vaporetto.

You mentionned Mass. There are plenty of churches in Venice, but I don't think they all offer Mass. Not the nearest, but perhaps the easiest to get to/find, is S. Maria della Salute which is right on the Grand Canal, very close to the Salute stop. (vaporetto 1 from Piazzale Roma)

Mass appears to be at 11am, (and also perhaps 9am)

Not sure if this link will work directly, but if it doesn't you can use it to find the church on the map.

http://maps.venicexplorer.net/venice-mapquest/index.php?hlangs=en&s=v&p1_id=1143&p1_db=esercizi&src_module=culti&action=search&luogo_id=&categoria_id=27&nome=maria%20della%20salute&nearest_categoria_id=&nearest_categoria_howmany=

Other links you may find useful are:

http://www.holidaysinvenice.com/churches.htm

http://www.venice-art-tours.com/church.html

Edit: The map link appears to work. The red flashing circle is the church & if you look along the edge of the Grand Canal you can see the Salute stop.

You're very welcome. :)

There will be Masses in other churches, including St. Mark's. They will be more frequent in St Mark's but I just suggested that one as it will be very easy to find & you won't have the problem of crowds.

Another one...there is a church at the St. Stae stop which is nearer to Piazzale Roma, but not sure if & when there are Masses here.

Archived