Question about Coral Breezes Tour

OntCruise

We have booked the Manatee Watch, Reef Snorkeling, Bannister Island Beach Break tour through Coral Breezes.

The website say the tour starts at 8:00 am. We are on the Glory and the website says we dock at 8:00 am.

Can someone expain the island/ship times to me? Has anyone been on this tour recently who can comment on when the tour leaves and what time we should arrive at the office? It's our first visit to Belize so I have no idea how long it takes to tender in and get to the tour office where the tour begins.

Thanks!

We just returned from Independence of the Seas and did this same tour. Ship time is Eastern Standard. Belize is Central. So if your ship docks at 8:00 a.m. it means 8:00 a.m. Eastern, 7:00 a.m. Belize.

Tendering time depends on how crowded it is when you go. I think it's probably more crowded right away. The tender boats hold about 200 people and they have them coming and going continuously (i.e. you aren't waiting for one to bring the people to the dock and then come back). The actual time for tender boat to get to shore once it left ship was about 15 - 20 minutes.

The tender line at the end of the day was LONG, but went fairly fast. It looks worse than it is.

Our Coral Breeze tour said it leaves at 9:00. It meant Belize time. We weren't sure about the tendering thing, so left early and got to the dock in Belize at about 7:45 Belize time and ended up sitting around doing nothing. There aren't many shops there and there is nothing else to do except wait. You will go check in with Coral Breeze right away and then they tell you to relax until about 20-30 minutes before the tour leaves and then they fit you for the snorkeling gear. You would seriously be fine getting there (to check in) about 8:45 a.m. Belize time - get your gear and then you would still be waiting. The boat loaded up and left about 9:10/9:15 Belize time.

The boat then drives to Banister Island and lets the people out who are just doing the Island break. Everyone gets off the boat to look around and get a beer or use the bathroom or whatever for about 15 minutes. Then the snorkelors get back on and they drive you to the snorkeling area (about 10 minute drive). They divide the people up into groups of 5 - 8 (depending on how many on board) and each group follows one of the guides. You snorkel with your group for about 45 minutes, then get back on boat where they have bags of water for you. Then they drive you back to Banister Island where you stay for about 2 hours. This surprised me. I didn't realize we were staying that long and we didn't come prepared with a book, snacks, water or anything. They have a food shack there that serves grilled food that is actually pretty decent and they have a bar that serves everything. The beach itself has lots of chairs, a volley ball net, a big bouncy trampoline thing in the water, hammocks to lay on, playground equipment, kayaks. It's beautiful.

After 2 hours they take you on the manatee watch, which is on the way back to Belize anyway. It took about 20 minutes, I would say. Interesting - they tell you all about manatee. The guides saw them - I wasn't quick enough to see them.

We got back to Belize about 3:25 (ship time). Last tender supposedly left at 4:00 (ship time). Some people on our tour were nervous about the time, because the tour had supposedly said it would be back no later than 3:15. The tour guides are very relaxed about time, schedules and life (as are all the Belize people, I believe). They are very experienced and do this for a living and are very aware of ship time and how long it takes to tender, etc. So they were confident we would make it back in time and everyone did, no problem.

This excursion was great. The tour guides were fun and knowledgeable. You will love it!

I think the only thing I would do different with future ports that tender is that I will look more closely at the excursions offered by the ship. If there is one that is offered by the ship that basically does the same thing, I would seriously consider doing that instead. The reason being that then they pick you up right at the ship and take you directly to your excursion (so Banister Island and snorkeling, for example). You avoid having to spend the time going in to the dock to wait and then having to tender back. To me it would be worth it not to have to worry about tendering time, ship vs. island time, etc. If you are more of a worrier, this might be the way to go. If you can relax and want to experience a great local tour guide, then the coral breeze tour is perfect for you!

Topshelf--

Thank you for such a detailed description! I've read that you can also buy tickets thru CoralBreeze Tours at the Pier. Is that true? Apparently they may be a little cheaper. I'm 'ok' with buying tours thru private companies (rather than thru the ship), but I've never done a last minute thing like that.

Thanks!

I don't remember seeing anyone buying them on the dock. When we got there they had our name and checked it off their list and told us there were 24 others with us. It seems like there may have been more, so it's possible people signed up last minute. I'm sure if they had the room, you would be able to do that. But then you need a back up plan for if they don't have the room.

I believe we're going to do this excursion with them, but I have a question regarding their boats...Did you feel crowded in them? Were they good to snorkel from? Did you feel that they ran a good excursions...professional wise? I have read that sometimes they pack you in like sardines and it is very crowded. What's your opinion?

I believe we're going to do this excursion with them, but I have a question regarding their boats...Did you feel crowded in them? Were they good to snorkel from? Did you feel that they ran a good excursions...professional wise? I have read that sometimes they pack you in like sardines and it is very crowded. What's your opinion?

They usually will wait until they have a boat filled. If you get there early you may sit there awhile waiting for them to sell more tickets. So yes you can usually get your tickets on the dock and yes the boat are somewhat crowded. When we went every one was satisfied with the tour. They were professional and the boat had easy access to the water.

Archived