Bugs on Roatan?

dreamfinder222

Ok, so this is our first cruise to the Caribbean and I'm hearing rumors of tiny too-small-to-see bugs on the beaches in Roatan. :(

My wife is not really an "outdoorsy" kind of person, if you know what I mean, but loves to spend time in the sun on the beach and by the pool.

Will these biting flies ruin the day for us/her? Does bug spray keep them away well enough that we're not going to be miserable the rest of our trip?

Specifically, we're looking to spend the day at Fins & Flippers. I've read the F&F thread, but I need some reassurance!!!! :D

Thanks!

Eric

Just spray your exposed areas before you leave the ship and whenever exiting the water. There were 4 of us there last week, and only one bite was felt. It is very common on the island, but bug spray works great. We used OFF which has DEET.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the question would be if you and your wife are usually bug targets. I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with the chemistry of your body. I was in Roatan (Tabyana Beach, Anthony's Key Oct 2005 and going back this month) and never had even 1 bug bite. Neither did my husband. Have a friend that goes to Anthony's key for a week about every year for the last 10 and he never reports a bug bite. I am a "comfort creature" so can understand your concern.

I was just in Roatan Last Tuesday, March 3rd. We spent the morning at the Zipline and were on the beach from 10:30 - 3:30. We brought bug spray with but never put it on.

We walked almost the entire beach and never had one bite. My wife and son both laid in the sand for 2 hours or more, no bites at all. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Beautiful island. Wonderful people. Keep your eyes open during your drive through the island. I have never seen poverty like this. On TV yes, in real life no. Even though they are poor, they are upbeat, happy and look forward to better times for the island. I wouldn't have traded my day in Roatan for anything.

I have to agree with you, minn55441! We were in Roatan on the 26th and it was the best Port of Call we have been too!

We did horseback riding and I made sure to bring the "Off." Sprayed our family and never had a problem. Even went over to Fosters for a swim after our ride and no problems with bugs there.

I did get a few bites when I was there, and my sister got none. they really didn't bother me much though and were gone in a day or two. I would take some bug repellant just in case. I like the pre-packaged wipes. They are easy to carry along and reapply if you go in the water.

I'm going back next month and can't wait.

I was at Fins and Flippers 2 weeks ago. I was on a lounge chair on the beach so I did not think it would be an issue but I ended up getting about 20 bites on my back. Had only sprayed bug spray on my feet so probably serves me right. This did not seem to be an issue by the pool.

bring the bug spray.

we were there last tuesday (10th) and i was bothered by bugs while we were up by the bar eating but other than that did not *feel* them.

i am currently covered in itchy bites over a week later. didnt feel most of them. i was not vigilant with the bug spray though.

if its more of a question of her seeing them or feeling them bite i dont think you will have too much of an issue.

if its being upset later on with many bug bites then just be thorough with the bug spray.

interestingly enough my husband also got bitten several times but his went away teh very next day.

maybe i am mildly allergic???

Hi punkmuse, we were there the same day as you. We all got a few bites that were barely noticible, a little red spot with white around it and the white changed to red later in the day. Now, 11 days later these spots are itchy for us all - strange.

But worth every itch, Fins and Flippers was a beautiful place. I almost feel guilty when my children refer to the beauty and peacefulness of Roatan. They do fundraising for schools in Honduras, but they will go back to school on Monday and be completely unaware of the poverty that was there.

They are doing alot of constuction on Fins and Flippers, and I imagine that it will be a busy place soon.

Try the Funditos - Honduran Fondue. The pool has a shallow area and is great for small kids.

It was my favourite stop on the cruise.

thank you for posting that jjjet because i was starting to really wonder why i WAS STILL ITCHING. my husband said i still had fleas on me :eek: which is like next to impossible considering swimming in salt water, taking showers, (was there any chlorine in the pool or the hot tub or was it just salt?), changing clothes, washing clothes, and traveling thousands of miles!

of course i keep itching and picking at them so i guess its my own fault :p

We were in F & F on Wed. the 18th. I spent the day at the pool and my friends stayed on the beach, and no one has any bites. We were the second tender out and the last back. It was a wonderful day. The place is beautiful. I heard people saying that the snorkeling was the best they have seen. It was too shallow for me to go out. I like to see the coral from far away, not up close and personal.

• 1 month later...

Archived