Costa Mediterranea Panorama Suite Layout (Cat. PS)

Cruise4Andy

After completely enjoying the our fist Costa cruise in January of 2004 onboard of the Costa Atlantica, we are ready for another one.

We are booked for Eastern Carribean onboard the Costa Mediterranea, sailing January 30, 2005.

Originally we were booked in a Suite (Category S), but already got upgraded to a Panorama Suite (Category PS). Our assigned cabin is # 5266, which is a corner suite in the aft of the ship.

Anybody been yet in an aft Panorama Suite? Anyone maybe having a layout plan, as this suite seems to differ from the Panorama Suites in midship?

(I know it has a huge balcony of somewhere around 200 sqft.)...

Would any of you prefer the midship cabin over the aft cabin?

Any input is appreciated... maybe even somebody who sails on Jan. 30!

Hey Cruise4Andy, that's a great cabin!!! There is a 360 view of it at the Costa website. Click this link and use the drop down and select (PS) it shows both styles!! Your cabin is long and thin vs short and fat. You will love the balcony, the aft ones are huge. We had a grand suite a few floors up last year. Have the butler serve you lunch on the veranda! It's also perfect for private sunbathing since the side ones don;t get much light. Here is the link:

http://new.costa.it/Costa/USA/CostaSite/OurFleet/PresentFleet/Flotta/CostaMediterranea/ComeOnBoard.htm

Hi CruisinMatt:

Thanks for the info... The one thing I can't figure out is where the bathroom would fit in this particular cabin? I know the midship one's are pretty much all the same and I found even a "floorplan" for those on one of the website. But I could not find a "floorplan" of the aft cabins whatsoever...

So your preference would be the aft cabin vs. the midship cabin?

Maybe it is just an optical illusion, but the aft cabin actually looks smaller than the midship ones... but then again, those 360-virtual tours are often misleading...

Thanks for the input

It appears that the bathroom and dressing area are opposite the cabin door when you first walk in. I would choose this cabin because of the larger balcony. I think the cabin square footage in equal to the midship cabins, just a more unique layout.

Let us know what you decide! :D

I think I'll stick with the recommendation from you and also the travel advisor.

I certainly love the idea of a roomy and spacious balcony, where you can actually turn around and sit comfortable. My travel advisor even mentioned that we may have a chance of getting upgraded even further, so that would be the Grand Suite then...

When we come back, I will let you know how it was! I am sure it will be another wonderful and exciting Costa experience.

we booked a Grand Suite aft.. because of the balcony.. can you tell me what the interior on the GS aft is like.. i realize it isn't square but is the sitting area in like a separate room???.. thanks for the info.. we leave jan. 23

HostStar:

You must be going the week before us on the Western cruise... I loved the Western Carribean. We went last year on the Atlantica.

Have not been yet in the suite, but go to http://www.costacruises.com, click on "OUR FLEET", click on "PRESENT FLEET" and select "Costa Mediterranea".

Click "COME ON BOARD" and select the first Panorama Suite option from the scroll down menu. That will give you a 360º view of the PS.

Maybe the link will even work...

http://www.costacruise.com/Costa/USA/CostaSite/OurFleet/PresentFleet/Flotta/CostaMediterranea/ComeOnBoard.htm

You can also check out the Panorama Suite in mid ship. Seems to be similar in regards of amenities, but different shape, and smaller balcony.

The information what I could obtain from Costa:

Midship Panorama Suite: 270 sqft. + 90 sqft. of balcony

Aft Panorama Suite: 270 sqft. + 277 sqft. of balcony

So it seems to me, that you have a huge balcony with those aft suites, compared to the midship one's. And as CruisinMatt said, I am sure you can catch more sun in the rear, as it is not blocked from above. Those rear balconies are the same size as you would get with the aft Grand Suite... so not a bad bonus for the prize.

I would let you know how it was, but you go on board first... so have fun and enjoy your cruise...

Andy

we booked a Grand Suite aft.. because of the balcony.. can you tell me what the interior on the GS aft is like.. i realize it isn't square but is the sitting area in like a separate room???.. thanks for the info.. we leave jan. 23

The Grand Suite aft has a separate living room with a TV, dressing room, walk-in closet, large bathroom, bedroom with a TV. All the comforts of home but with a butler. Well, our home does not have a butler, for that matter nor do we have a maid, and not much of a cook! (I'm still smarting from Thanksgiving dinner)

Hei1980:

LOL... Good point! We don't have a butler either (even if we wish we would).

Can you tell us about the Aft Panorama Suite as well?

Thanks!

We had a Panorama Suite one time, it was mid-ship. A larger cabin with a nice size bathroom. Not sure about the Panorama Suite Aft, would assume it would be the same as the Grand Suite? Maybe, someone else can let us know?

Concerning the Grand Suite, neither the living room or the bedroom is large, the word, cozy, fits. On other cruise lines the Grand Suites are much larger. I think you pay more for each inch of space. I can live with cozy!

I thought so! By the looks on the deck plans, the aft Panorama Suite is almost identical with the Grand Suite. It sure looks like the same balcony space.

But maybe somebody has stayed in either cabin # 5266 or # 5295, which are the ONLY two Panorama Suites in the aft. And then who knows... maybe there's another chance of being upgraded once more... ;-)

Thought I would give my input about the suites. We are booked in Feb on the Mediterranea (have the two aft grand suites on deck 6) Called Costa and they told us that our cabins are 295 sqft and balcony is 271 sqft deck 4 is 336/239 deck 7 343/282. They all very a little, but your deck 5 cabin should be just a little smaller than ours. Hope that helped.

GOBOLTS:

Thanks for the input and the information. That sounds about right on what I could find out from Costa...

We'll have a great time regardless of the size, but I sure have to admit, that I love the thought of a huge and oversized private balcony!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been in an aft Panorama Suite on the Atlantica or Mediterranea?

I know they are are same layout, as they are only on deck 5 on both ships... except of the decor, they are sisters anyway.

Cabin in question # 5266 and # 5295.

Thanks for any input or information!!

Andy.....I'm sure it will be great!

We're relative newbies to cruising, this is our 3rd. The wife and I are looking forward to getting away more than anything. No kids, no jobs, no phones, etc..... Very simple expectations.

I'm amazed that people post such negative reviews. Cruising is still a great value, no matter if your food was cold, etc. I'll eat McNuggets for all I care. We want a clean ship, nice balcony, nice bathroom and a few bottles of Champagne. We don't expect to be pampered.......we make our own fun. :)

We just came back from the Atlantica 12-12-04 departure, and it was great!

The layout in the Costa cruise book is very vague....

We got the port corner room..I can't remember the number....

Anyway, you can see your door from the long hallway when you're walking in. When you walk in, there is a long thin hallway that you can see the back end of the ship. To the right is a counter, telephone, refrig, and desk, with light and shelves. To the left is a wall which is the other side of your bathroom. About 5-8 steps in, there is a couch after the desk with a small round table, and a chair. To the left of the wall is a TV, shelf with water, ice bucket, glasses, and more cabinet space. Make a left turn and there is another small hallway.

To your right is the door that goes out to your balcony, to your left is a sliding door to a sitting/dressing area. In there they have a lighted mirror, chair, drawers, electrial outlet. Also in the top drawer they have a hair dryer already plugged in.

If you go straight and a little left, there is a door leading to the bathroom, dual sinks, tub with jets. The water pressure was very strong...

If you turn right, there is a door leading to the bedroom, another TV, dresser, telephone, 2 nightstands with lights, window to balcony.

There are 2 doors in you bedroom, right next to one another; one goes to dressing area/bathroom, the other the little hallway which leads to your balcony, or sitting area.

The balcony is huge...it does wrap-a-round a little bit, maybe 3-4 feet.

It comes with 2 chairs with pads, table, and 1 lounge with pads.

If you order meals in....The butlet brings in a round table, very cool....

We had a blast....

Jeanie & George

We just came back from the Atlantica 12-12-04 departure, and it was great!

The layout in the Costa cruise book is very vague....

We got the port corner room..I can't remember the number....

Anyway, you can see your door from the long hallway when you're walking in. When you walk in, there is a long thin hallway that you can see the back end of the ship. To the right is a counter, telephone, refrig, and desk, with light and shelves. To the left is a wall which is the other side of your bathroom. About 5-8 steps in, there is a couch after the desk with a small round table, and a chair. To the left of the wall is a TV, shelf with water, ice bucket, glasses, and more cabinet space. Make a left turn and there is another small hallway.

If you order meals in....The butlet brings in a round table, very cool....

We had a blast....

Jeanie & George

there has been chatter that there is a charge for hot meals, even in the suites.. were you charged for any meals served in the suite by your butler?.. thanks for the info.. we leave jan. 23 and have a grand suite aft, corner... looking forward to it and first time on Costa...

We ordered the dinner of lobster and there was no extra charge...:)

Also getting the Grand Suite you get one free meal in the speciality restaurant, priority boarding and unboarding, champane the first night, frest fruit every day....:)

Hope your cruise is a great as ours was....

George & Jeanie

Thanks Jeanie and George!

Glad you had a wonderful time. We don't have a Grand Suite, but one of the two Panorama Suites on the Orfeo Deck, Deck 5 (our should I say Ponte Cinque). We are also booked on the port side corner of the ship, so our cabin should be right underneath the one you stayed in.

There are only two aft PS, which are # 5266 and 5295.

I am sure the balcony is wonderful with great views!

My latest information from our travel agent and Costa representative is, that FULL SERVICE meals (in suite dining) is complimentary and included with the fare. No extra charges will apply. I tell you more about that when we return.

We only got one dinner meal served in our room. It was cool, but there was a few drawbacks....

The butler has to order it after dinner starts, so we didn't get served until late, I think 8:45 or so. And it wasn't piping hot, probably because it had to travel so far. He brings all the food together and sets it on your desk. He put the ice cream in the refrigerator but it got a little soft by the time we ate it.

We found the lunches the best service in the dining room, and very good. (maybe because the dining rooms weren't full) It's open seating for lunch, we got to sit right next to a window for a nice view.

Our dinner seating was in the middle on a big round table. Too many to serve so the service was just so-so.

The only window tables were way in the back, very different to most of the shiips we sailed on. But at dinner its dark anyway, so not much to see?

I posted one of the dinner menus on another thread if you're interested.

You can ask your butler for the menus and he'll bring you one each day, that's way we have them!

George & Jeanie

We only got one dinner meal served in our room. It was cool, but there was a few drawbacks....

The butler has to order it after dinner starts, so we didn't get served until late, I think 8:45 or so. And it wasn't piping hot, probably because it had to travel so far. He brings all the food together and sets it on your desk. He put the ice cream in the refrigerator but it got a little soft by the time we ate it.

that's way we have them!

George & Jeanie

yikes, that's not the way its supposed to be.. he should have set a table with linens and served you course by course. what he did is more like room service not butler service

Archived