Carnival Miracle Itinerary Change

whitnam

We are booked on the May 24 sailing our of NY. The itinerary when we booked was St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola. Apparently that has now changed to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. We aren't as thrilled about this itinerary as we were the first, but we booked a mini suite with a wraparound balcony in the back of the ship which seems to be impossible to book on another sailing.

Is there anything about the Miracle worth keeping this itinerary, or should we start shopping around for a new cruise (and maybe a new cruise line!)?

We are booked on the May 24 sailing our of NY. The itinerary when we booked was St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola. Apparently that has now changed to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. We aren't as thrilled about this itinerary as we were the first, but we booked a mini suite with a wraparound balcony in the back of the ship which seems to be impossible to book on another sailing.

Is there anything about the Miracle worth keeping this itinerary, or should we start shopping around for a new cruise (and maybe a new cruise line!)?

What are you looking for in your cruise? Are you beach people? If so, HMC gets OUTSTANDING reviews. Though I have never had a wrap balcony, I would love to as I am really a balcony person. As you said, I doubt you could find one available this close to that sailing date.

Sort of beach people, but traveling with our kids (and mother in law) for the first time, so not knowing the locations, we planned on getting the kids off to explore a bit. I think we are just more annoyed that rather than more Eastern Caribbean, we are basically hanging out in the Bahamas.

That alone might make me want to go on this cruise. Of course, in your case I don't know how many times you have been to the new ports of call.

We are doing the same ones on Destiny out of Miami. I know Grand Turk is big for snorkeling, and has a nice beach. It is small and easy to get around based on info I have read. I have not been there. It has a dock, so you don't have to mess with tenders if those annoy you. I hope this helps.

Sort of beach people, but traveling with our kids (and mother in law) for the first time, so not knowing the locations, we planned on getting the kids off to explore a bit. I think we are just more annoyed that rather than more Eastern Caribbean, we are basically hanging out in the Bahamas.

I can understand being annoyed that the itinerary has changed since you originally booked this cruise, but Carnival announced this change back in August 2008, some six months ago. You still have a fabulous balcony for 8 days and nights, with four days at sea, and a day at Half Moon Cay which is gorgeous. Life could be a whole lot worse. ;)

I would love that itinerary. Half Moon Cay is absolutely the best Beach that I've ever been to. I really liked Grand Turks. Nassau is OK.

I think that you will really love those islands.

Joanne

I think just having the huge balcony would be enough to enjoy the cruise. Worst case scenario, if you don't like a port, hang out on the ship and enjoy an empty ship. Miracle is a great ship!!

I have heard HMC is beautiful, and I really want to go there myself!!! Just have a good attitude and research the ports. Anytime I cruise with family we have a blast.

Personally, I would like the 'new' itinerary better, but it depends on 'what' you want..!:) I can't compare, tho' I've been to San Juan, Nassau and St. thomas.. HMC is supposed to be GREAT! Have been to Labadee, and had a great time!:D Would probably pick Nassau over SJ, but 'thats just me'..

Miracle is a great ship, and altho' I've never had a Cat 11 aft/wrap, we are dedicated 9A aft/wrap fans on the Conquest Class ship.

We do have one of those Cat 11's booked in June on the Legend tho'.. Supposed to be wonderful!!:p

We sailed RCI Explorer of the Seas from NYC.. I think we would have preferred the Miracle.. Have a great time!:cool:

The aft cabin with the wrap around balcony is worth the price of admission all by itself. That combined with sailing from NYC and watching the city disappear behind you will make it extra special. Stick with it and in my opinion, you won't be sorry!

Yep...Did this itin on the second leg of a B2B on the Destiny. Have been to HMC 4 times between HAL and Carnival. Love it.....

Went to Grand Turk for the first time and it was great, though back in early Nov. they were still piecing things back together from the hurricane they had in early Sept. many water sport types of things to do...

nassau is well....Nassau......

By the way...I have been to all the private islands with cruiselines except Disney. Half Moon Cay (which is owned by HAL) is the nicest of all the ones I have been to......

I appreciate being annoyed at the change, but given that you are getting HMC, I don't think it is that bad of a trade; I am considering the same trip from Baltimore on the Pride in another year or so. Granted Nassau would not be my first choice, but the snorkel with the sting rays at Blackbeards is supposed to be good. You also might consider Atlantis or Paradise for some neat animal encounters or water time. The kids would love either of these...check them out on the ports of call board.

Good luck and I am sure you will have a great trip.

We did this same itin with our kids three years ago when they were 10 and 14. They absolutely loved it. We did snorkeling at Grand Turk and hung out at Margaritaville. This was the best snorkeling I have ever done. It was amazing. The kids loved it. They also loved the party atmosphere at Margaritaville. The Half Moon Cay day was perfect. They rented water mats and could float along and see the fish through the clear water. My DD loved Nassau because of the straw market. Go figure! The knock off purses had her from the moment she stepped off the ship. We took the ferry over to Atlantis and explored a litte. In my opinion, it was the perfect itin with kids.

...which in my opinion won't be hard! As others have stated HMC is really, REALLY nice and a very enjoyable day. I liked Grand Turk, which is relatively undeveloped and has amazing snorkeling and beaches (and if you just hang out at the beach by the dock it's almost like another private beach day, all be it louder.)

As others have said Nassau is Nassau, but my experience is if you're going to an "iffy" port do your research ahead of time and book an independent tour for a better experience. Check out the boards here for the ports of call and make arrangements before you get there. I find if you arrived with things booked is much more relaxing and you can walk past the chaos at the pier. Some quick suggestions are a daypass to Breezes Resort (an all inclusive beach day, you can tell what I like!) do the dolphin encounter at the blue lagoon (there's one at Atlantis too but it's likely breath-takingly stupid expensive like all the other overpriced things at Atlantis) and all the usual players in island shops (diamonds international, Columbia emeralds, little Switzerland, Del Sol, etc) are close to the dock. The one thing I was really disappointed in was Atlantis, which while incredible in a theme park meets Vegas kind of way, was so insanely expensive ($100+ to get a day pass to the waterpark, food extra, or $35 to go through a aquarium telling me the culture of a fake civilization?) I just can not recommend it (go walk around Disney or the lobby of a better Vegas hotel, exact same experience.) Also the Astrada Gardens was a let down, but that might have been because I missed the flamingo show (as in the birds, not the dance)

Thanks to all for your input! I think we have decided to stay with this itinerary and I am definitely excited to hear so many nice things about HMC. I think I was initially annoyed that we were not notified (we booked in June 2008 after cancelling from the year before because we were pregnant and our son would be too young to travel), so we waited a long time and booked early, but were not notified of the change, and our PVP isn't really on the ball it seems. Rates went down from when we booked and we contacted her and have yet to hear back.

We were on the Spirit in 2005 and loved it - then on the QM2 for our honeymoon in 2006, which will be hard to beat. Everything I am reading about the Miracle sounds great...we are looking forward to it!

Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau was the original ports of call when we booked this cruise...three months ago! This isn't any new change...

We booked in June 2008 and the itinerary matched the one in the Carnival brochure for 2008-2009.

We have sailed the Miracle twice before and booked a cruise again for this May ONLY because of the itinerary change. While we love the ship, I would not go back to the same islands again under any circumstances. The staff certainly make the cruise while on the ship and we look forward to seeing the new islands which we have wanted to see for awhile.

Having just done this itinerary in the fall, I vote YES! Although I have been to Nassau a number of times and am not wowed by it, there are some good excursions you can do. I loved Half Moon Cay...beautiful beach and the cruiseline brings food over for lunch. All the kids I saw were having a great time. Loved Grand Turk as well, and hopefully they will have recovered more from the hurricane last year. Right at the port is a Margaritaville that has an enormous pool and entertainment. Beach is next to that. Just beautiful! We went on a snorkeling excursion in the morning and met the resident barracuda who hangs out with the snorkelers and waits to be fed. Way cool for kids to tell stories about! I think you will really enjoy it....making me think about booking on Miracle and saving the airfare for our next cruise! Love the spirit class ships!

Have fun....I know you will!:)

Thanks to all for your input! I think we have decided to stay with this itinerary and I am definitely excited to hear so many nice things about HMC. I think I was initially annoyed that we were not notified (we booked in June 2008 after cancelling from the year before because we were pregnant and our son would be too young to travel), so we waited a long time and booked early, but were not notified of the change, and our PVP isn't really on the ball it seems. Rates went down from when we booked and we contacted her and have yet to hear back.

We were on the Spirit in 2005 and loved it - then on the QM2 for our honeymoon in 2006, which will be hard to beat. Everything I am reading about the Miracle sounds great...we are looking forward to it!

I would call Carnivals 800 number and tell them about the price reduction before the price goes back up.

Since the change was 6 months ago and your PVP hasn't notified you and he isn't responding to you maybe he doesn't even work there anymore.

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.:)

Bill

Archived