Entertainment on NCL

cruiser92837465

I took my first cruise since working for Princess back in the late 70's this past year and have found myself hooked on wanting to cruise some more. I was on the Freedom in July and the entertainment was stellar!!!! I am checking out different cruises on Princess, as I think it would be fun to go back, but am also interested in NCL. I was talking to a friend who told me the entertainment on NCL is some of the worst in the industry and that they had a copyright lawsuit pending as they perform well known theater works without permission. What are the opinions here on NCL's entertainment offerings?

Thanks!

In general, I have heard that NCL's entertainment is some of the better entertainment at sea in comparison to other lines. On most ships the production shows are Jean Ann Ryan shows. The traveling entertainment, magicians, jugglers, bands are hired thru NCL's production team.

I'm not aware of any copyright lawsuits involving NCL.

I was talking to a friend who told me the entertainment on NCL is some of the worst in the industry . . .
I wonder where your friend got that impression. If you read through the NCL threads on this board (and any others), you'll see the overwhelming opinion is that NCL's entertainment is superior to other cruiselines' entertainment. We've been on HAL, Princess and RCI, and in my opinion NCL's production shows make the other lines' shows look like high school productions.

Here is a big secret!!! There is a brand new show coming onto the NCL Jade direct from Branson... We have found some great entertainers on NCL, particularly Jane L. Powell.does anybody know where she is going to be cruising/singing.. Our one experience on RC was a nightmare.. the dancers were dressed in fright wiges and the costumes looked like leftover upholstery material. Have seen some great shows on Celebrity..entertainers brought in at special ports... The Celebrity Constellation had a comic on our last cruise, Fred Klefft or something like that who had me bent over with tears coming out of my eyes...a story teller..a woman who plays for all the great movies..and two L.V. type acts.. Parrot Pop and I are very particular about entertainers on ships..and are theatre goers.. so call me a snob and that's okay.. I'll let you know after we do the Pricness in a few weeks and the NCL Gem the end of November

Thanks for the input. My business is entertainment, so of course, the entertainment offerings will be one of my first priorities when I book a cruise.

My friend just choreographed a show for Celebrity which is where I heard it. He has worked for Jean Ann before but he told me it was a rumor and you know how much stock you can put in rumors!

I've been scouring this site for entertainment news and so far, seems as if RCI is favored, followed by NCL, followed by Disney (although those with kids say Disney has the superior entertainment). It's a bummer for me that there isn't more info on all the cruise line's shows to help me make my decisions.

I wonder where your friend got that impression. If you read through the NCL threads on this board (and any others), you'll see the overwhelming opinion is that NCL's entertainment is superior to other cruiselines' entertainment. We've been on HAL, Princess and RCI, and in my opinion NCL's production shows make the other lines' shows look like high school productions.

I agree that NCL has great shows.

Thanks for the input. My business is entertainment, so of course, the entertainment offerings will be one of my first priorities when I book a cruise.

My friend just choreographed a show for Celebrity which is where I heard it. He has worked for Jean Ann before but he told me it was a rumor and you know how much stock you can put in rumors!

I've been scouring this site for entertainment news and so far, seems as if RCI is favored, followed by NCL, followed by Disney (although those with kids say Disney has the superior entertainment). It's a bummer for me that there isn't more info on all the cruise line's shows to help me make my decisions.

You can make book on it coming.. but I don't know when.. This person personally went down to Branson to work with/on the show.. Naturally, I can't name names, but I know this woman personally and her mother.. She did work for Jean Ryan for many of the ships and was contracted out to other ships, but I'm not sure who she is working for now, but I know as well as I know my name that she is on the Jade.. and will be after she goes back..

As for Celebrity. we have been on their Century, Galaxy and Constellation and sorry we were not impressed with their p roduction numbers..and lets not even talk about the disaster on our t/a on RCCL.... Individual performers in some areas have been o outstanding.. can't think of the english comic (lennie ?) who was doing the Century..quite a character.. he used to be on the Premier...and left just before it sank. If you ever see Jane L. Powell advertised.. don't walk, run as fast as your feet will carry you.. I will book a cruise if I know she is on the ship.. she calls herself The Chocolate Goddess and is absolutely beloved by all.. including the crew.. If we ever meet I'll tell you a story about her and a member of the audience.. there is a character either loved or hated on the Connie who sings/plays piano in Michaels Bar who is completely in our opinion obnoxious..lol but others disagree.. he is so camp and cruisers, especially women eat it up. yechh

I have always heard very good things about entertainment on NCL ships and will have an opportunity to see for myself in May. Entertainment, and the quality of entertainers, can vary from line to line, ship to ship, and even cruise to cruise. We have seen the same production shows with different casts on some ships and thought one performance was head and shoulders above the other. Some of it is subjective and your enjoyment of certain types of entertainment might be quite different from mine. Our tastes won't necessarily match. I must say that we have seen some excellent entertainers onboard cruise ships - some- "name entertainers" , others - "unknown" but very talented performers. :)

I have always heard very good things about entertainment on NCL ships and will have an opportunity to see for myself in May. Entertainment, and the quality of entertainers, can vary from line to line, ship to ship, and even cruise to cruise. We have seen the same production shows with different casts on some ships and thought one performance was head and shoulders above the other. Some of it is subjective and your enjoyment of certain types of entertainment might be quite different from mine. Our tastes won't necessarily match. I must say that we have seen some excellent entertainers onboard cruise ships - some- "name entertainers" , others - "unknown" but very talented performers. :)

One of our favorites for many years on the Majesty was Robert and Mandy France..they maybe doing Princess now.. I would think now with the Jewel, Jade, and Gem they would have their best.. whether in the lounges or the stage. Coming from Rockland y ou must of seen them years ago, did you?--In Fireworks Lounge

One of our favorites for many years on the Majesty was Robert and Mandy France..they maybe doing Princess now.. I would think now with the Jewel, Jade, and Gem they would have their best.. whether in the lounges or the stage. Coming from Rockland y ou must of seen them years ago, did you?--In Fireworks Lounge

I don't recognize the name, but the last time we sailed on Majesty, it was Royal Majesty and not yet a member of the NCL family. I do remember a very different and creative repertory group which did some a few one act plays in the Fireworks Lounge. It was something that I still wish cruise ships would include in their entertainment repertoire.:)

I haven't sailed on any other lines in recent years, so can't comment on their entertainment.

What I can tell you is that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the production shows on NCL. I owned/operated a dinner theatre for many years so have a little bit of experience in the field and I can say that the talent in the NCL production numbers was 2nd to none. In addition, the costuming and props were very professional.

CG

I don't recognize the name, but the last time we sailed on Majesty, it was Royal Majesty and not yet a member of the NCL family. I do remember a very different and creative repertory group which did some a few one act plays in the Fireworks Lounge. It was something that I still wish cruise ships would include in their entertainment repertoire.:)

Yes, we cruised every year it was the Royal and one year twice.. loved that crew.. Food and service was by Apollo.. Was on it the week of the change over when the crew rioted...then engineers were onboard planning the second pool, shops, etc. and then spliting the ship in half.. We have cruised to Bermuda at least 12 times... but not in recent years.. have been doing trans-atlantics on Celebrity.

People can put down NCL, but they have been innovators in free-style, home ports, etc.etc. no matter what other cruisers say.

As with any production show they are all about the same - a variety of singing & dancing based around a theme. I haven't seen the Musick nor the NCL Productions, only JAR productions so I can't say. DS said the Gem shows are Colours (all songs mention colours) World Beat (songs from various countries) and a 70s show. He feels all the shows are pretty equal in talent, sets etc. and enjoyed the ones he's seen. (Some a thousand times over! Week after week after week!)

To be fair, I have also seen a few (very few) abysmal performances. The one that comes immediately to mind was on a transatlantic onboard Celebrity's Constellation when, one evening, the featured "entertainer" was the "World's Champion Whistler". :rolleyes:

As with any production show they are all about the same - a variety of singing & dancing based around a theme. I haven't seen the Musick nor the NCL Productions, only JAR productions so I can't say. DS said the Gem shows are Colours (all songs mention colours) World Beat (songs from various countries) and a 70s show. He feels all the shows are pretty equal in talent, sets etc. and enjoyed the ones he's seen. (Some a thousand times over! Week after week after week!)

Just "googled" him and found he is in Nashville..and it's easy to put two and two together..lol He had or has a group on the Celebrity Summit.. wonder if he had one on another of the Celebrity ships.

To be fair, I have also seen a few (very few) abysmal performances. The one that comes immediately to mind was on a transatlantic onboard Celebrity's Constellation when, one evening, the featured "entertainer" was the "World's Champion Whistler". :rolleyes:

That's funny.. he wasn't on our 2008 t/a of the Connstellation..we had a fabulous comic..Jeff Klefft

anybody have a contact to ask about what entertainment will be on the Pearl March 29th when I am sailing on her?

Before our Connie Ta, I emailed the Celebrity Captain's Club and they responded with a list of the entertainers scheduled for our sailing. (don't remember if they included the whistler;)).

Archived