Pacific Sun - stairs when re-embarking? Noumea, Lifou, Vila tours?

Sydney Spider

Hi, guys! This is my first post. :D

I'm going on my first cruise with my 26-year-old daughter on 7th March. It's the Week Fantastique Cruise on the Pacific Sun and the stops are Noumea, Lifou and Vila. Got butterflies!!

I just have some questions....

I have difficulty with climbing stairs because of a muscle weakness problem. This means that I'll be using the lifts when on board the ship, but I'm wondering if I might encounter a problem with re-embarking at any of the ports. I saw a photo somewhere of people embarking the ship at one of the ports, and the stairs were so long. I definitely wouldn't be able to manage them.

Also....I am in the process of deciding which shore tours to book - these are the ones currently piqueing my interest.

Noumea - City Sights and Aquarium (just love dem fishies!) There won't be time for more than one tour here because the ship arrives at 2.00 pm.

Lifou - Melanesian Encounter (my daughter is interested in seeing a different culture) Also.....Leucila Beach-Scenic Drive.

Vila - Rainforest-Plantation Horse Riding (also love dem horsies! I've had considerable experience when a young person, but my daughter has had none.) Also interested in the Semi-Submersible Boat Trip.

I'm interested in getting some feedback about these tours from anyone who has taken them. In particular.....I was wondering if Leucila Beach is any good for snorkelling, or if it is just a nice swimming beach. Since we live on the Gold Coast and have access to beautiful swimming beaches here, I'm really more interested in the snorkelling side of things. I've heard about Jinek Bay which sounds preferable but I need to know just how much walking is involved in order to reach it, and whether it is a reasonably flat walk or if there are any hills. Because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (bummer for touring!), finding out these details ahead of time is essential. I may just do one tour or activity at Lifou and Vila anyway, because of my limited energy levels.

Any other ideas that people might have are welcome! I just have the problem of not being able to do anything too strenuous. The rest of the time, I'm looking forward to just having a relaxing break on the ship.

can help with a little bit of your questions. When embarking or disembarking they werent stairs as such, just a tilted walkway - on our cruise unfortunately, we did not get to Lifou due to a cyclone so cant help you on that one. I understand it was a 15 minute walk to Jenki Beach, but others will be more helpful than I. People who did the aquarium said it was terrific, but not sure about walking time. Good luck with your trip - hope other CC'ers can help more.

Hi Sydney Spider,

Disembarkation is normally from deck 5. To disembark the ship at Noumea and Vila you would have to walk down a long flight of stairs. Obviously you have to walk up these stairs when you return. There is usually a second set of stairs from deck 3 that is used by crew. I wonder if you have a letter from your doctor, they might consider letting you disembark from deck 3. There could be a problem, however, because the security checking machine is in place at the deck 5 door. If you could disembark from deck 3 you could go down to that level by lift.

At Lifou disembarkation is by tender so you can take the lift to deck 3. There are still stairs before you board the tender, but not too many.

We virtually always do our own tours so I can't comment on those you mention. To walk to Jinek Bay you would have to walk up a short hill, walk on level road and down a hill to the snorkelling area. Total length of walk is around 600m.

Evon.

just to add the wonder advice people have said , on P&O where there are a few to many stairs they use there motorized gang plank, hope you now what i mean, they have a motorize wheel chair that walks down and up stairs, some have one that, like in some high set homes where it runs on a rail attached to the wall , but there is a attached to the gang plank. as i have seen they realy go out of there way for people with a disability.

Hi Sydney Spider,

The ship's crew will go out of their way to help you. They are fantastic.

I still suggest you have a letter from your doctor because I assume your disability is not be obvious to people looking at you. :):)

Evon.

just to add the wonder advice people have said , on P&O where there are a few to many stairs they use there motorized gang plank, hope you now what i mean, they have a motorize wheel chair that walks down and up stairs, some have one that, like in some high set homes where it runs on a rail attached to the wall , but there is a attached to the gang plank. as i have seen they realy go out of there way for people with a disability.

yes a letter from your doctor would com in andy as well thanks evon

Welcome to the boards,Sydneyspider.

Jinek Bay on Lifou is a bit of a walk...maybe 500m from the ship? We saw the turn off while walking up to the church. It's the main snorkelling place from what I've read. I can't comment on the excursions. For a top cultural encounter, there is also the Ekasup village in Vila.

Hope you have a great time.

Anna

Hi Sydney Spider,

I too would like to welcome you to tha CC boards.

The others have helped re getting on and off the ship , and I can help with the Noumea City Sights And Aquarium. We went on that tour last year and thourghly enjoyed it. The only stairs you will encounter are the steps of the bus and when they go to a lookout at Ouen Toro, but where the bus stops you can see the fantastic views from that level withourt going up the extra stairs. The Aquarium is amazing. It only has fish and coral from their own waters, and it really is a must to see. The only complaint about this tour is you do not have enough time in there, we could have sat and watched one particular display for 1/2hour but after 5 mins we were asked to move along. In total we were at the auqarium about 25mins.

We have not done the Melanesian Encounter, but friends of ours did and they said it was great, and recomended that we do it next time we go to Lifou. Last time were we ther P&O didn't offer any tours and we did a private drive around with a local wich cost just $10 ea, but the driver couldn't speack english , so at each stop he would oppen our door and pretend to taske a photo...we took it that this was a good spot for photos. We did go to the Chiefs hut and small museum, church, and somewhere where there was spectular views. Also at Lifou, just down from where the tenders dock, there is a beach and you do not need to take the 15 min walk over to the other side, where there is a steep ladder climb, to get to the water for snorkling.

Hope this info helps and you enjoy your cruise.

Hi Sydney Spider.

Welcome from me too! :D

Just to back up what Marg said. Apparently the stairs to get to the snorkeling area at Jinek Bay in Lifou are very steep and can be slippery. I've also read elsewhere that the bottom step has been broken for a few years now, and depending on the tide you may have to jump a couple of feet to get to the water. I haven't been there myself (going in August :D), so I can't really judge, but thought you should be aware of possible difficulties. Perhaps someone who has been recently may be able to fill you in on the current conditions.

I hope you have a fantastic time :)

Hi Sydney Spider,

If the aquarium is your main interest and you want more time there, you could go independently. Entry costs 1,000 Pacific francs for adults and 750 for over 65s. You could go by taxi and include a sight-seeing tour in the taxi ride. A taxi would cost the equivalent of AUD$40 per hour. You would need francs. If you want to get a taxi let me know and I can tell you where to find the taxi rank. I don't think the Noumea Explorer bus would work for you because you will only have a couple of hours. :):)

Evon.

Thanks so much for these replies - I do appreciate it! This info is helpful.

I figured that P & O would have some alternative way of boarding for those who can't manage stairs, but I might just give them a call to clarify how I would organise it.

The steep staircase at Jinkek Bay does sound like it would be a problem, especially on top of a long walk to get there.....so I might follow the suggestion of MargnGrah and stay at the beach near the jetty. I'm glad I found this out beforehand.

I forgot to include another question....does the ship operate on island time, and if so when does the change-over occur? I am assuming that the destinations are only one hour ahead of EST.

Yes - the ships operate on local time. There is a 1 hour time change before getting to Noumea, and then of course, one on the way back. Cruises that go further east have several time changes. On our recent cruise from Brisbane to NZ, we had a time change of one hour on three consecutive nights. :):)

Evon.

Archived