Walking from SD Airport to the Pier

AustinSooner

I've seen lots of discussion around the feasibility of this... from my perspective it is very doable.

I went out jogging this morning and jogged from the pier (elation is in port right now) to the airport and back. I timed myself coming back... stopped took some pictures, etc and it was less than 20 minutes jogging. I don't jog so fast and I included the time it took to take pictures.

Here are my recommendations:

1) Exit the airport (I jogged from Terminal 1) on Harbor Island Drive

2) Follow Harbor Island Drive across to the sidewalk on the bay side. You have to cross a stop light here. It is very fast.

3) Follow the bay to your left running parallel with North Harbor Drive. On this side there are real streets to cross and only one courtesy light. Smooth sailing up to the pier.

I plan to exit the ship this way and walk to the airport. So if anyone is interested, I can post how long of a "walk" it is. I suspect it will take me about 30 to 45 minutes. Not a bad walk at all.

of course, you will to have a roller bag ;)

...I plan to exit the ship this way and walk to the airport....
Is it possible the ship is closer to the airport while it is the harbor sailing to the final docking spot? :confused: Perhaps, it would be more efficient to jump off the ship as it approaches the dock and turn the airport trip into a combined swim and walk! ;)

ok.. so I did it. Took me 35 minutes to get to terminal 1.

Very nice day... no rain.

Had the large roller suitcase and I had a backpack sitting on top of it holding my ibm thinkpad (heavy model).

Definitely doable.. and after all of the excesses of the cruise. Very necessary.

not a worry.. if you really want to make it easy take the "express ship" option off the ship. They take your luggage and ship it through to your destination port.

Is it possible the ship is closer to the airport while it is the harbor sailing to the final docking spot? :confused: Perhaps, it would be more efficient to jump off the ship as it approaches the dock and turn the airport trip into a combined swim and walk! ;)

It does pass the airport... I was up at 5 am watching as we went by.

Archived