I have seen the new terminal in bayonne

Deecruiser: I am Cathy, the kids are: Will (9)& Katie (3). Maybe a place like Penn Station has lockers (but don't know if I trust them). I do remember from our visit to the Museum of Natural history, they have an attended coat room(I think a fee was involved)that maybe you could drop your bags off there & either see the museum or go somewhere else. Don't remember if the coat room was before or after the admission fee process. See you on board. We are on Deck 8

Hi Cathy:

Worse comes to worse, we'll lug it around with us! With security the way it is in New York, I'm not sure anyone is anxious to have pieces of luggage checked in to their coatrooms.

We're on Deck 6 (atrium cabin).

Has anyone started a Roll Call for this date on the Voyager yet? I can't seem to find one in the roll call area.

Voyager 4/00
Explorer 1/02
Navigator 4/03

there was a roll call at one point, but I can't find it either. Maybe we should start a new one. Less than 30 days to go! Don't know what your plans are in NYC, but (especially if the weather is rainy) you could consider a bus tour like Gray Line. That way you could keep your bags with you.

Two things.....

Firstly, when RCI announced the use of Bayonne, they admitted that for the inaugural season, it would be a building site and that for check in they would use the existing buildings, as they decided on the change pretty late in the day, but they have plans to totally remodel the site for the 2005 sailing season.

Secondly, as someone else said above, don't write the place off just yet.... all I ever heard was people complain about embarking a ship in Manhattan, crowded, bad parking and unorganized, so RCI have done something about it. I for one think it is a good thing.

There are always people who are ready to moan whatever, the same people that complain about Costa Maya are the same ones who probably complain about ships always going to the same ports..... OK, there may not be much in Costa Maya right now, but they will not build until the Cruise Ships come..... if anyone ever went to Cozumel 20 years ago - there was NOTHING there..... now look at the place!

Anyway - now that is off of my chest!

We received our docs and they say to show them to the guard at the guardhouse and drive onto the site. Therefore, we have to assume that we're going to park within walking distance of check-in. It also notes that parking at $12 a day and no credit cards accepted.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

kegraties is not well informed about the new RCCL site at Bayonne.
Here is the real deal....
Reason for RCI moving to Cape Liberty: Manhattan's terminal could not adequately handle the Voyager of the Seas turnarounds as there was no space to do a simultaneous debark and check-in. Trafiic is horendous on the westside and there were no place to put buses, cabs, etc. RCI listened to our complaints about NY and did something about it.
Regarding Bayonne: The old MOTBY peninsula is definitely run down. It is an old WWII military base for gosh sakes! RCI obviously sees the potential for the long term development of the site to turn it into a world class port. This will not happen over night however. Give it a few years.
The sewage treatment plant that kegraties references has been out of service for years so there is no smell!
The water around the peninsula may not look appealing but is clean enough to support fish ans waterfowl and in fact the flats off the peninsula are breeding grounds.
Let's face it, many ports are not esthetically pleasing as they are primarily commercial in nature (Baltimore) but RCI is at least trying to deal with the problems in Manhattan to our benefit.
RCI also has 1000 parking spots right on the site and very close to the terminal. Cost is $12 per day (versus $25 in Manhattan) and the vendor, Central Parking,accepts cash and credit cards. There will be a shuttle fron the lot to the terminal.
For those of us flying into EWR airport, it is literally a 15 minute cab ride for $35. Sure beats sitting on the West Side Highway for 2 hours trying to get to a cramped old terminal!

We came off the turnpike at exit 14A on Friday night and they have finally put up a sign for Cruise Ship terminal. I didnot take Rt. 440 but I'm sure they have signs when you approach the exit on 440. I don't know how "rustic" the accomodations at Bayonne will be but I'm sure it will still beat the Manhattan traffic and the hassle of sailing from there.

We will be on the 5/21 cruise so I will post details of the terminal when we get back.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ

It'll be interesting to see how check in goes, especially since the terminal is about 1/2 mile from where the ship docks.. they will be bussing everyone from the main terminal to the ship-- My advise is to get there EARLY!

Bob

NCL Sunward II / Emerald Seas
HAL Veendam (old and new)
HAL Zaandam
HAL Volendam (old and new)
HAL Maasdam / HAL Statendam
RCI Song of Norway
RCI Nordic Prince
RCI Sun Viking
RCI Song of America
NCL Southward / NCL Norway
Home Lines Homeric
RCI Sovereign of the Seas
RCI Majesty of the Seas
RCI Monarch of the Seas (2x)
RCI Grandeur (2x)
RCI Enchantment (4x)
RCI Vision / RCI Splendour
Celebrity Galaxy
Carnival Tropicale
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Destiny
RCI Nordic Empress (2x)
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
HAL Noordam / NCL Sky (2x)
NCL Sun / NCL Dawn
NCL Sea / NCL Majesty
Carnival Victory
Carnival Glory
RCI Voyager (2x)
RCI Explorer / RCI Adventure
RCI Navigator / RCI Brilliance
RCI Serenade (2x)
RCI Mariner 11/12/03
RCI Nordic Empress 12/20/03
RCI Radiance 12/28/03
Cunard QM2 1/30/04
RCI Mariner 3/21/04
HAL Oosterdam 5/2/04
RCI Serenade 7/18/04
And more to come.....

I'm also on the 5/21 VOS cruise. Does anyone have directions from NY Thruway??

Thanks

Judy
RCCL Voyager 5/21-5/30/04
CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04
NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03
DCL Wonder 5/16-5/19/02
DCL Wonder 5/3-5/8/01
CCL Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Just wanted to let you all know that yesterday I was given the opportunity of taking a ride around the Penninsula at Bayonne, where the ship will be sailing from. It was a pretty neat experience considering the area controlled by guardhouse. My friend who works for the Engineering Firm that is involved with site development just drove up and said he worked there and wanted to look around and the police officer let us through. For those of you driving there is definitely ample parking, and there is good sinage directing you all the way to the location... on the highways as well as on the penninsula itself. From what I could see, the construction workers were in the process of installing air conditioning to the exisiting building that we are going to be using. My friend had also told me that RCCL plans to build almost the exact cruise terminal on the penninsula that they are currently operating out of in Miami.

Nordic Prince Summer 84, Meridian 8/94, Song of America 8/95, Song of America 7/97, Horizon 7/98, Nordic Empress 7/99, Paradise 7/00, Nordic Empress 7/01, Navigator of the Seas 1/03, Norwegian Sun 3/03, Adventure of the Seas 3/04, Voyager of the Seas 7/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;2;10;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Voyager of the Seas

FinelyCruising I found a page I printed a long time ago on Cape Liberty Port and it does give me directions. I will also use mapquest to get an idea of driving time. Can't wait!

Judy
RCCL Voyager 5/21-5/30/04
CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04
NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03
DCL Wonder 5/16-5/19/02
DCL Wonder 5/3-5/8/01
CCL Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Hi! 24 days and cruising!!(5-30!) On another thread today, you can read about the Cape and its benefits--wonderful views from the pier according to the newspaper. I just want to be on VOS and relax. I want to be pampered and waited on....I want to cruise!! (Am I anxious!)
We are flying to Newark and will take a cab to the pier. Plan to get there early...I can wait at the Cape as easily as sitting at my hotel! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Sharon K. Perry

Anyone Know where a good view of the Voyager coming into port would be. Its scheduled to arrive around 5 am next Friday morning. Actually considering a ride up to get a view. I'm wondering how far off the coast it will be sailing on its way in? I live at the Jersey Shore and wonder if she will be visible.

Sandy Hook Maybe?... Not sure how close you will be to see it...

or if you are willing to trek to Bayonne then go to the strip mall right next to the penninsula... with the stop and shop etc... and you will probably be able to see it there...

here is an article of interest...

[url="http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1083838317243090.xml?jjournal?nba"]http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1083838317243090.xml?jjournal?nba[/url]

Nordic Prince Summer 84, Meridian 8/94, Song of America 8/95, Song of America 7/97, Horizon 7/98, Nordic Empress 7/99, Paradise 7/00, Nordic Empress 7/01, Navigator of the Seas 1/03, Norwegian Sun 3/03, Adventure of the Seas 3/04, Voyager of the Seas 7/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;2;10;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Voyager of the Seas

also was able to get to see new port yesterday and today also saw empress of seas today, they are making great progress getting port ready, only major problem so far they had to reposition the leaving point instead of being docked direct from checkin terminal, the ship is a good distance about 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the pier/port, because the channel was too narrow and other cargo ships couldnt get by with orignial position, so once you check in they are going to bus you down pier to area where ship is docked.they were painting floors today in termimal, new central air system, inside terminal rccl has huge several banner large size pictures of ships etc nice touch, they were sweeping lots, working on landscaping, so a effort was being made big time, huge area to check in and for luggage, parking at pier will range from 5 to 8 night cruies from 65.00 dollars to 110.00 large parking area, the view from this port is great, new york skyline statue of liberty, lots of space over 400 acreas of land it is huge, once you get onto turnpike you get off exit 14A and go about another mile to pier, you go onto route 440 there is cruise port signs all over the place on right side, as you get close to pier the signs will ready ocean terminal bayonne but you cant miss the cruise ship being docked in port. Once they get going here this should be big time for rccl and new jersey, yes there is some old buildings but they can be over looked and in due time will be removed. it is lone of largest size ports that i have ever seen and we been on 42 cruies, there will be some bugs that must be worked out, but go get em rccl bayonne and new jersey

[This message was edited by rpsinnj on 05-07-04 at 04:56 PM.]

A question for those of you living in the NYC / Bayonne area:

We are considering a Bermuda cruise combined with a visit to our son, who lives in Manhattan. Is the new terminal far away from Manhattan? What would be the best way to get from Manhattan to the terminal?

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=939097554&m=765101151"]CLICK[/url] to read about the Roatan CSI School/Orphanage cruisers are 'adopting.'

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;23;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]   'til we re-board our beloved Sovereign!

then, Sovereign again ...
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Sovereign 01/02, 11/02, 6/03, 08/03, 09/03
Fantasy 06/2002
Mariner 12/03 , Radiance 04/04

At the Baltimore terminal, you have to shuttle from the parking lot and they also take cash only so Bayonne is not alone in these features. Looking forward to May 30.

Jan from New Jersey

Celebrity - Carribean - Twice
RCCL - Alaska, Carribean
Holland America - Panama Canal and South America

Just returned from an overnight cruise on the Empress of the Seas leaving from Bayonne. The terminal is well marked for those driving to it. The checkin terminal is towards the back of the pier. The inside is spacous with a fresh new paint job. Checkin went quickly as they have alot of stations to checkin at. They shuttle you on buses to the ship, about a 2 minute ride. The only downside I saw is that you have to climb up a large staircase to board the ship and it is not easy to do juggling your carryons. They had plenty of room for parking your cars. I am sure the few bugs they have will be worked out as time goes by.

<applet code="countdown.class"CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys"width="203"height="25">,param name="font"value="1cdbo"><param name="year"value=2004><param name+"month"value=2><param name="day"value=22><param name="hour"value=17></applet> Voyager of the Seas

Archived