Black pudding

sparkyrmc

Stop this politically correct bollocks this instant.

I am gay and have no problem with the meat ball dish in question being known as ******TS!

If you have a problem with that, then get a fornicating life.

Rich

Dear Rich,

I don't think anyone on this board has the slightest problem with the use of the term FAGG0TS. Nor do I believe that anyone here could give a tinker's cuss whether you are gay or not!!!

However, if you examine your post very closely indeed, I think that you will find that your own use of the word "FAGG0TS" has now been converted into a string of asterisks. That is because it is not us (the posters) who are doing this. It is the demented software employed by CC to police the use of offensive language on the board. Sadly, whilst this piece of software is very cleverly put together, its AI and fuzzy logic are not of a sufficiently high standard to discriminate between the subtly nuanced ways in which this word can be used.

J

Stop this politically correct bollocks this instant.

I am gay and have no problem with the meat ball dish in question being known as ******TS!

If you have a problem with that, then get a fornicating life.

Rich

Rich, Fantastic news, you're gay. well what do you do with a black pudding?

No hang ups with being gay, here.

I do have a hang up with political correctness however.

As the god Billy Connolly said, "political correctness is the language of cowardice." The moment you start worrying that people will be offended by what you say, it is only a short step before you start worrying whether or not people will be offended by what you think. That to me is infinitely more offensive.

Let's gang up on the board moderators so we can put a stop to all this PC nonsence once and for all!

As for what I get up to with a black pudding, well I like nothing better than popping it in my mouth and swallowing. Obviously!

Back to the orriginal subject though, I heartily recommend a full Scottish breakfast, the full works plus white pudding (not too keen on that), haggis, and smoked salmon. Get it down ya, Zulu warrior indeed.

Cheers, hoping that the Ozzies have a lovely time with good old Queenie this evening/morning,

love Rich

Let's gang up on the board moderators so we can put a stop to all this PC nonsence once and for all!

I totall agree with you about political correctness.

However, in this case, the trouble is that it isn't the moderators who are doing it. The process is entirely automated. Ganging up on the moderators will only ensure one thing - a lifetime ban for all concerned.

Personally I prefer the quiet life and the odd asterisk.

J

Please note they do taste a lot better than they sound :). I like mine boiled, frying them makes them a bit dry for me.

I agree- I prefer them boiled and with mustard - but when boiled they are more of a light meal rather than a breakfast item. The breakfast black puddings are often the straight sausage shape (wrapped in some sort of plastic) rather than the links of the Bury black puddings.

As for fagg0ts, we used to call them Yorkshire Ducks or Savoury ducks which we ate as 'duck a muffin'. I don't suppose that will be served on Cunard ;)

Both these delicious foods were bought at the local market- the fast food of their day!

Oh I'm sure they will be every bit as good Myles!! Try QV and see.

J

I wonder which fagg0t came first, was it the one with the definition of an English dish or the slang term meaning an effeminate man. Also there is yet another definition for fagg0t, or fag0t, meaning a bundle of sticks.

Is there anyone who has studied linguistics who would happen to know when and where that each of the definitions originated.

It is hard for me to understand why a word would be blanked out if its meaning is the name for a kind of food. It really seems a bit juvenile to me.

I wonder which fagg0t came first, was it the one with the definition of an English dish or the slang term meaning an effeminate man. Also there is yet another definition for fagg0t, or fag0t, meaning a bundle of sticks.

Is there anyone who has studied linguistics who would happen to know when and where that each of the definitions originated.

It is hard for me to understand why a word would be blanked out if its meaning is the name for a kind of food. It really seems a bit juvenile to me.

It is again one of those english words that divide our two countries. I remember as a schoolboy age 11, first year in senior school, we were referred to as f@gs. Basically you were at the beck and call of 6th formers to run errands. A cigarette in the UK is also referred to as a f@g. Back on topic, my sister reminded me of a dish we ate as kids, chitterlings, and bread and dripping, especially beef dripping, not sure whether things have improved or not:D:D

It is again one of those english words that divide our two countries. I remember as a schoolboy age 11, first year in senior school, we were referred to as f@gs. Basically you were at the beck and call of 6th formers to run errands. A cigarette in the UK is also referred to as a f@g. Back on topic, my sister reminded me of a dish we ate as kids, chitterlings, and bread and dripping, especially beef dripping, not sure whether things have improved or not:D:D

You don't say if you like chitterlings or not. I believe here in the US chitterlings are often called chitlins and are served in the south.

You don't say if you like chitterlings or not. I believe here in the US chitterlings are often called chitlins and are served in the south.

Yes, I do like chitlins:D but with so few real butchers about in the UK now, they are increasingly difficult to find, in fact most offal has gone, with the exception of livers, tongues & kidneys. I cannot remeber the last time I saw tripe, but that was not one of my favourites, very bland. I also remember my grandparents eating pigs trotters back in the mid 50's.

Yes, I do like chitlins:D but with so few real butchers about in the UK now, they are increasingly difficult to find, in fact most offal has gone, with the exception of livers, tongues & kidneys. I cannot remeber the last time I saw tripe, but that was not one of my favourites, very bland. I also remember my grandparents eating pigs trotters back in the mid 50's.

Pig's trotter's, are they pig's feet? I really liked tripe when I was a kid. Over here it was always pickled. Is it pickled over there as well? Come to think of it, I haven't seen tripe for a long time either.

I'm back to the black pudding which here in Quebec is called boudin. Funny thing, I tried to make it once as a favor to my father-in-law who was Hungarian( he called it hoorka sp?). He told me to buy lamb gut for the casing. The butcher said it was 10 cents a meter which I thought was really cheap so like the last of the big time spenders, I came home with 20 meters! Pa never let me forget it.:D

I'm back to the black pudding which here in Quebec is called boudin. Funny thing, I tried to make it once as a favor to my father-in-law who was Hungarian( he called it hoorka sp?). He told me to buy lamb gut for the casing. The butcher said it was 10 cents a meter which I thought was really cheap so like the last of the big time spenders, I came home with 20 meters! Pa never let me forget it.:D

OK - so apart from getting the world record for the largest black pudding ever, we've all got to know...

Was the stuff you made any good?

J

There is a French bistro in NYC on 5th I think called Les Halles run by a TV chef called Bourdain and they sell the best boudin noir, served with a relish to cut the richness. That is where I will have lunch when I am there on 4/14. A small glass of Rioja but hold the fava beans. Fantastique.

There is a French bistro in NYC on 5th I think called Les Halles run by a TV chef called Bourdain and they sell the best boudin noir, served with a relish to cut the richness. That is where I will have lunch when I am there on 4/14. A small glass of Rioja but hold the fava beans. Fantastique.

Sounds yummy, apart from the Hannibal touch. I once had a crepe in Paris filled with boudin noir and apple - wonderful. We may need to try Les Halles.

OK - so apart from getting the world record for the largest black pudding ever, we've all got to know...

Was the stuff you made any good?

J

Actually considering I am not myself Hungarian it was judged very good but I only used 2 meters and I never attempted it again. I'm looking forward to Cunard's version of it.

Archived