Port Vila and Noumea questions please :)

meljup

We are just looking at finding our own way around these two ports, sightseeing and shopping. There are 7 in ur family though, how far are the main shopping areas and sights from the ship dock, and what is the best way to get around (price wise too) bearing in mind we would need two cabs etc.

Thanks in advance

We leave on Saturday :D

In Noumea the wharf is only a couple of mins walk to town. In Port vila you can walk to the town but it takes a while. On the wharf you will find taxis or minivans. I think the taxi is $15aus and the minivan costs $3aus each one way. We usually just catch the minivan. From town there are always heaps of taxis and minvans waiting to come back to the ship.

If you read some of the reviews you will find information on what to do and the costs.

As Ruste says there are plenty of transport opportunities in Vila, just make sure you get a firm one price for the van for your group, will be cheaper than PP.

I wouldn't try and walk into town, too far, too hilly and usually too hot and sticky.

Noumea is hard to find transport, you will have to go looking for a taxi. I never could understand why that is, a cruise ship in town with people wanting to spend money and no transport!!!

We have caught a taxi to anse vata and another time to Lemon bay but had to go looking both times.

Coming back we even gave up on taxis and caught the bus back which was a similar price for the 4 of us as a taxi.

You can however walk into the main town in noumea.

Noumea - On one trip when we arrived about 4pm, we got a taxi for 4 adults. We had to walk about three blocks to the taxi rank and wait a while for a taxi to arrive. They will only take Pacific francs, and the cost worked out at around AUD$40 for an hour. It would be simpler (although a little more expensive) to all go on the sightseeing bus. You can pay for this in the cruise terminal on the wharf. A sightseeing tour by bus costs AUD$15 each. I am not sure whether you are arriving at 3pm on the Pacific Sun or in the morning on the Pacific Dawn. If you are there all day, look for Vivienne in the cruise terminal. She also has longer tours (two and a half hours I think). They are excellent.

Vila - Walk outside the wharf area to where the taxis are lined up. On one of our visits last year we were a family group of 7. We simply went for a people-mover type of vehicle and it seemed to cost no more than a normal size cab. The going rate for a trip to town is AUD$15 although they will try to charge much more. Agree the rate before you get in the vehicle, and when they pull the "per person" stunt, refuse emphatically. I recommend asking the taxi driver to take you on a short sightseeing tour (Chiefs' Meeting House, Parliament House, Lookout) and then go to the cascades for a swim in the most unbelieveably beautiful surroundings you will ever see. This necessitates a 20 minute walk with some steps and walking through very shallow streams. Wear waterproof footwear. The entry price to the cascades of AUD$20 per adult (don't know about kids). It is worth the money. Negotiate the deal with the driver. It would probably cost AUD$25 to go to the cascades, but negotiate a return deal. He will be prepared to wait for no extra price because he probably wouldn't get another fare in the time anyway.

Go to Fung Kuei shop in town for duty free, then have a look at the markets in town.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Evon.

I suggest in Vila that you get a 'maxi taxi' (or people-mover taxi) that will cost you AUD$15 to go to town and they will go when and where you want. For no extra cost you should be able to have a little bit of sight-seeing on the way to town.

If you go in the shuttle bus it would cost $21 for seven people, and it will only go when it is full and will drop off at the closer end of the main street, not at the far end where Fung Kuei is. :):)

Evon.

All good advice from the others, but just wanted to mention that in Noumea they have a siesta between around 11am to 1pm sometimes 2pm. Most of the shops will be closed. Strongly suggest you take a tour from the terminal building for around $15pp. This will give you a very good look at Noumea and surrounds, and is well worth the money.

Cheers.

that's great advice thank you, do you just book the tours from a store front at the wharf or something ?

will I need pac. fr before we get there or should I be able to pay with cc ?:confused:

As I mentioned in my previous post, the cost is AUD$15. If your cruiseship berths at the normal passenger wharf, it is beside the terminal building (a large white square building). Tour operators and small markets stalls are set up inside. They all take Australian currency.

If you are arriving first thing in the morning you might like to go to the markets (about 600m from the cruise terminal). It closes at 11am. Although we had francs with us, we found that the stallholders took Aussie currency at an exeptionally good exchange rate. We kept our francs for Tahiti!

You would only need Pacific francs if you get a taxi and want to buy something from the shops. Some other places (aquarium and Tjibaou Cultural Centre) also require Pacific francs. If you are not going to go to any of these places, I wouldn't bother changing currency. If you want some francs, you can buy it on the ship, but make sure you don't have more than you need because you lose a lot when you sell back the excess.

Evon.

I apologise I read somewhere that AUD was ok in Vila but not Noumea, thanks again.

You are correct saying that AUD is not generally accepted in Noumea, but luckily for us visitors, everyone in the cruise terminal takes it. I have heard that there is an occasional shop that takes AUD, but we haven't found it! Be aware that if you use your credit card your bank will probably charge you an international currency transaction fee of 3%. On small purchases it doesn't make much difference, and if you decide to buy something expensive, you probably don't have much choice anyway.

We were very surprised that they offered to take AUD in the market, and we were even more surprised that things were not very expensive. This was only a few months ago. I got a very long string of beautiful black freshwater pearls for AUD$100. These are very evenly shaped, and are long enough to loop three times around your neck. I also bought a beautiful hand embroidered cashmere wool shawl.:):)

Evon

I have heard that there is an occasional shop that takes AUD

In all my visits to Noumea (5 times now) the only places I've seen take AUD were

• The markets in the terminal
  • The supermarket opposite the terminal (exchange rate comparable to what you get on the ship)
  • The gift shop on Amedee Island (but they preferred CPF)
  • Macca's (at an outrageous exchange rate)

Excellent Thanks ! I am really looking forward to Noumea, I am an amateur Photographer, and am salivating over the photos I will get there !.:D

If you've got time, walk up to the hill behind the central town area, you get some lovely views from up there;

2487561240078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

And also around the harbour in the afternoon around sailaway time

2118315110078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

2985196870078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

2207812440078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

And if you can get out onto the water - some good shots of the ship at the terminal

2995604720078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived