Has anyone tried the "Baboon Sanctuary" or the "Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary?"

cruisinqt

Has anyone tried the "Community Baboon Sanctuary" or the "Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary?" We will have our two kids ages 6 and 8 with us and these two excursions sound very educational. Most cave tubing tours say they require kids to be at least 8 years old to participate, so that rules out cave tubing for us.:(

We've thought about snorkeling, but the only one who really wants to snorkel is my husband. I have heard that some of the snorkel tours will drop some of your party off at the beach while the rest snorkels and then you will meet up again at the beach. We have given this some thought and it is definitely an option.;)

I hear the zoo is very primitive and not in very good shape, so we've decided not to go there. The Mayan ruins sounds interesting, but I think my kids would be bored looking at the crumbled ruins of ancient buildings, so that's out.

So we've narrowed it down to a snorkel tour where some of us can be dropped off at the beach. Or, just taking a water taxi over to Goff's Caye or Ambergis Caye for some beach time. Or taking a tour of the "Community Baboon Sanctuary" or the "Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary." But the last two I've mentioned are rarely talked about at cruise critic.:( It seems like most of the discussion is about either snorkeling or tubing. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with any of these tours that they'd like to share?

• 2 weeks later...

I found a tour agency that would do both of these sites and the Altun Ha for 99/person(for 2) or 75/person (for four). I have not seen anything about either of these sites. I did read something in Cruise Critics about the Baboon Sanctuary having questionable value.

:confused:

we were in Belize during our Thanksgiving week cruise and went to the Baboon Sanctuary with our daughters ages 14 and 17....we had a terrific time watching and feeding the howling monkeys....but be sure to take mosquito repellant.....with DEET

preferably....we had some regular off and it worked on a couple of us but the kids had

allergic reactions to their bites and puffed up unbelievably.....other than that.....it was really fun.....

Archived