OBC - Use it or lose it

lmmn

Good Morning:

I have never lost a remaining balance from our OBC. We have always had OBC's for booking while on board and our stock. We have either gone on the last night and gotten it in cash or have received a credit on our credit card.

We just got off Independence the 15th and I just received my credit card statement and we had our $35.00 balance credited to our credit card.

That's one of the changes I've read about. RCI will use up "cash" type OBC's first. Cash OBC's are from TA's, fuel surcharge credit, Visa points, etc. Essentially anything that came to RCI as cash. After the cash OBC's are used, then they will use non-cash OBC's, like next cruise OBC or shareholder OBC. You can get a refund of any leftover cash OBC, but not non-cash. Say for example, you had $100 Visa points OBC and $100 shareholder OBC, for a total of $200 OBC. You spend $150. You get no refund because you used $100 of your cash OBC (this is used first) and $50 of your non-cash OBC.

I doubt they take the time to figure out the different OBC's. If you go to the pursers desk, they cannot quickly look at your statement and tell you what the different OBCs are. In fact, it may take about 1/2 hour. It sure would be nice if RCCL would clearly state on the statement if OBC is from coupon, stock, or booked onboard credit. I guess now it makes no difference, if they only allow one credit.

I doubt they take the time to figure out the different OBC's. If you go to the pursers desk, they cannot quickly look at your statement and tell you what the different OBCs are. In fact, it may take about 1/2 hour. It sure would be nice if RCCL would clearly state on the statement if OBC is from coupon, stock, or booked onboard credit. I guess now it makes no difference, if they only allow one credit.

Actually they do code each OBC on their computer. Last cruise they quickly went over the account and each OBC had a code listing what that code was (booking OBC, stock OBC and Visa OBC). They used the codes given from the cruise line first (booking OBC, stock etc), and then all others like Visa etc. last which makes more since to me. This entire time took 15 seconds. Maybe you had a new person that didn't know how to read the computer.

Rule of thumb for anyone, just spend the OBC whatever it is and don't worry about getting cash back. They aren't a bank, spend and enjoy!:D.

That's one of the changes I've read about. RCI will use up "cash" type OBC's first. Cash OBC's are from TA's, fuel surcharge credit, Visa points, etc. Essentially anything that came to RCI as cash. After the cash OBC's are used, then they will use non-cash OBC's, like next cruise OBC or shareholder OBC. You can get a refund of any leftover cash OBC, but not non-cash. Say for example, you had $100 Visa points OBC and $100 shareholder OBC, for a total of $200 OBC. You spend $150. You get no refund because you used $100 of your cash OBC (this is used first) and $50 of your non-cash OBC.
I think you have it backwards. You would get $50.00 OBC Back.

Actually they do code each OBC on their computer. Last cruise they quickly went over the account and each OBC had a code listing what that code was (booking OBC, stock OBC and Visa OBC). They used the codes given from the cruise line first (booking OBC, stock etc), and then all others like Visa etc. last which makes more since to me. This entire time took 15 seconds. Maybe you had a new person that didn't know how to read the computer.

Rule of thumb for anyone, just spend the OBC whatever it is and don't worry about getting cash back. They aren't a bank, spend and enjoy!:D.

And understand what an OBC is: onboard credit! And amount to spend for anything you want to buy while onboard that is sold by RCCL. Not cash to take home to spend. Never was to be, never should have been and now is corrected.

And understand what an OBC is: onboard credit! And amount to spend for anything you want to buy while onboard that is sold by RCCL. Not cash to take home to spend. Never was to be, never should have been and now is corrected.
Not the fuel surcharge. RCI states it is refundable.

Not the fuel surcharge. RCI states it is refundable.

Man you're good, you came through again!:D Personally, I think Visa OBC's (which they are) should be refundable. Just like my cash back from Discover Card, it's money from the CC company not the cruise line. I spend it anyway, so it's a moot point for me.

Archived