South Friars Bay vs. Cockleshell?

foxtrot2

We will be in St. Kitts on March 25th and are trying to decide where to go. This will be our 1st time there. My DH & I love to hang out at the beach in our beach chairs, have a cocktail or two at a beach bar, and play around in the water. I would love to hear which beach would be better for us. From the research I've done, it seems South Friars Bay or Cockleshell would be best.

Also, I would love info on how to get there - is it best to go on an excursion with the ship or find a taxi & go there ourselves?

thanks!

If you just want to go to the Beach & chill out with no pressure, take a taxi to either one. The ride is very scenic going to either. South Friars is the closest of the 2. Arrange for a time to be picked up by your taxi and agree on the price & return time. If you pay after he brings you back to the pier you off you know that he will be back to get you. There are alot of ex-pats that hang out at Shipwreck Bar on South Frars.

• 2 weeks later...
If you just want to go to the Beach & chill out with no pressure, take a taxi to either one. The ride is very scenic going to either. South Friars is the closest of the 2. Arrange for a time to be picked up by your taxi and agree on the price & return time. If you pay after he brings you back to the pier you off you know that he will be back to get you. There are alot of ex-pats that hang out at Shipwreck Bar on South Frars.

I have also heard about Banana Bay--what do you think? Are the cab driver's ok with you not paying them till they return you to the port. Are there cabs available at the beach to take you back if your cab driver does not show up? any idea ogf how much cab is to each?

There are no facilities @ Banana Bay, no bar,restaurant or restrooms. The car ferry to Nevis leaves from Banana Bay. If you arrange beforehand, your cab driver will pick you up for the return trip. Cab fares are regulated. The prices quoted are for up to 4 passengers. It is about $26 each way to the Southeast Peninsula where Cockleshell,Banana,Sandy Bank,Turtle & Majors Bay Beaches are located.

It is about $26 each way to the Southeast Peninsula where Cockleshell,Banana,Sandy Bank,Turtle & Majors Bay Beaches are located.

Do you know how much the taxi would run to go to South Friars? And is South Friars the same thing as South Frigate Bay, as in is it the same place?

South Fiars is past Frigate Bay. It is over the hill from Frigate Bay. The taxi would be less than going to Cockleshell. There is 1 beach bar called Shipwreck at the far end & may be more since I was there in Nov.

I was at South Friars Bay on March 8th. For a family of 5, we payed 25$ I think. It would have been less to go to Frigate Bay but I felt it would be less crowed at South Friars. I was right! The taxi left us at the end of the beach so we walked quite a bit to get to a nice place. I was disapointed at first when I saw garbage bags by the beach. :confused: We walked quite a bit to a nicer place. The view was great and the water was nice. The snorkling was wonderful. There is a nice reef not too far from the beach.

You could rent some chairs but they were not in good condition. There is also 2 little bars.

Overall, we had a nice day and the taxi driver came back at the time we had set.:cool:

We shared a taxi back in January so there were 6 of and it cost us 5.00 each way....that was after much bargaining and 1 taxi driver walking away and passing us off to another one. The original driver was not willing to go so low on the price. We paid our driver a deposit when he dropped us off, and the balance when we returned to town....no problem - he was back as promised.

We headed to Cockleshell beach and we weren't disappointed. It's not the nicest beach in the Caribbean, but the view is awesome and we loved snorkeling amongst the star fish. Next time we'll snorkle at the end of the beach where I believe, the fish are! The beach is nice for an afternoon.

I brought lots of cockleshells home.

Archived