Condition of Explorer

Erie Dave

We were on the Explorer last month. It is in very good shape. Not that I was looking very hard but I do not recall seeing many signs of wear and tear.

As a side note... We were on voyage #2 of the Radiance when she first came out. There were signs of rust on our balcony...

We just stepped of the Explorer yesterday. She's in great shape. I've started posting pictures on my Webshots page. I don't have all of the photo's up yet but there is over 40 on there right now if you'd like to see the ship and our room. I'll be adding more photo's tonight as time allows.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dougp26364

We just stepped of the Explorer yesterday. She's in great shape. I've started posting pictures on my Webshots page. I don't have all of the photo's up yet but there is over 40 on there right now if you'd like to see the ship and our room. I'll be adding more photo's tonight as time allows.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dougp26364

thanks so much for your pictures!!

we are going on the explorer jan 2 the western carribbean

can you tell us the can't miss things to do on the ship

I salied the Explorer a little of a year ago...She is a beautiful ship!

My can't miss suggestions would include:

The Parades on the Promenade

The Ice show(I went twice :))

All you can eat, 24 Hour Pizza in the promenade

Portofino's(definitely worth the extra charge)

Those are just a couple! Have a great trip!!! She my pictures below of our trip!

I salied the Explorer a little of a year ago...She is a beautiful ship!

My can't miss suggestions would include:

The Parades on the Promenade

The Ice show(I went twice :))

All you can eat, 24 Hour Pizza in the promenade

Portofino's(definitely worth the extra charge)

Those are just a couple! Have a great trip!!! She my pictures below of our trip!

loved the pictures if you don't mind another question

we have never sailed rccl only celebrity where they have a sail away party out on the deck with music etc

is the parade instead of the sail away or in addition to

thanks so much

I got off this ship on 11/7 and it was in good shape. The funny thing is I did notice signs of wear only because I walked around with my friend totally making fun of the people on these boards with comments like "oh my gosh! There is a chip in the arm of this chair in the theater! Now I totally can't enjoy the show!" or "Oh no! The corner of this table is chipped! My meal has now been ruined." She thought I was joking that people on these boards really complain about such things, but yes, they really do. If your day will be ruined by a chip in a table, well, maybe you should stick to brand new ships. :)

But the good news is that while there is wear, they were also actively working on the appearance of the ship. Employees seemed to be painting and fixing something everyday but always in an unobtrusive way. It was a great trip.

If anyone will be onboard soon, tell Melvin and Steve in the Crown and Kettle that Melanie and Laura say hi! Fun guys.

mortypro--enjoy that sail away party. The parades on the promenade are in the evenings. I believe they have about 3 during the cruise and that is in addition to the sail away party.

Sailed Explorer in 2000 and leaving for her again on 12/5 hoping the staff is just as great as they were in 2000. One of my favorite ships--

My inquiry is not about regular wear, but rather signs of disrepair. There were already worn edges and chips on the Jewel, that is expected. I was more interested, however, with things working properly, beds not being worn out, sinks and showers, that kind of stuff. Wear just institutes character in my opinion. Things not working, and looking terrible, are another. Thanks for all your replies!

ErieDave -

We sailed Explorer on 9/19 and the only thing I saw not working was that there were no toppings for the ice cream on the Sprinkles cart. This was a minor thing. Otherwise, everything was in good repair and functioning well. Elevators all worked, pools were all open, etc.

Erie Dave~ We were on the Explorer this past October. Plan on going again hopefully in 2006. What room did you stay in? We had an inside room when we went on deck 6. Looking to get a balcony room next time. Did you think it was worth the extra cost?

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the Explorer in just 5 weeks. I can't wait to sail her again and I am sure the ship will be in great shape. On previous cruises, we saw employees shining and painting in many different areas.....keeping the visual impact top of the line for passengers.

Thanks for the photos! Wow! Hard to believe you were on a ship. I will definately share them with the group I am going with to get them excited. Some photos reminded me of the Radiance, but not many. Do you get to choose which dining room to eat in? We have asked for a table of 11 for the "kids." Us adults will eat anywhere!

Thanks for the photos! Wow! Hard to believe you were on a ship. I will definately share them with the group I am going with to get them excited. Some photos reminded me of the Radiance, but not many. Do you get to choose which dining room to eat in? We have asked for a table of 11 for the "kids." Us adults will eat anywhere!

We did not get to ask for a particular dining room, but, we didn't even attempt to ask. I suppose you could but other than the color of the chairs, there really wasn't all that much difference.

We were moved from our original table, which is the table we had taken a picture of, after the first night. At first we thought maybe it was because we were a group of 4 and our table mates were a group of 4 and spoke a foriegn language. However, the next night I noticed that a family of 8 had been seated at our old table. I assumed they had been split up and we were asked to move in order to accomadate them.

In the end it all worked out well. The table we ended up at was with a very nice couple who apparently had been seated at a table for 6 and were going to end up alone. The first night they had company but, it ended up those people were at the wrong table. That first night must have been a little tough on whomever assigns tables for guests.

My inquiry is not about regular wear, but rather signs of disrepair. There were already worn edges and chips on the Jewel, that is expected. I was more interested, however, with things working properly, beds not being worn out, sinks and showers, that kind of stuff. Wear just institutes character in my opinion. Things not working, and looking terrible, are another. Thanks for all your replies!

The only point of disrepair IMO was the mattress on the bed. If you look at the picture, you'll see the mattress has scoped out sections where people have laid. It was not horribly uncomfortable but was rather form fitting if you know what I mean. I've never considered the cots RCI call beds to be very comfortable to begin with.

Take into consideration that we have a very nice pillow top king size bed at home so, I'm bound to be a little critical of a thin mattress on a plastic cot.

The only disrepair/ damage that I noticed were tears in the carpet in the Island Grill that were taped over and tears in the backs of some seats in Studio B. I didn't notice anything else in any of the public areas but, then again, I wasn't really looking. There was nothing wrong with our inside cabin. I was intially taken aback by the cot-like bed but found it comfortable and slept like a baby. I did push the bed all the way against the wall to gain useable floor space on one side rather than having an inaccessable strip (desk blocking one side and sofa blocking the other) on each side with the bed centered. I also put the coffee table in the closet and only brought it out the one morning that we had room service breakfast.

Archived