Bermuda Day - May 25, 2009...RCCL in port!

tbntr99

I am looking for some information after a heads up from a restaurant I was making a reservations at! I am sailing on Explorer of the Seas - RCCL - on a 5 night from 5/23-5/28. We are docking at the Royal Navy dock. I was making reservations for our gang at a restaurant I read nice reviews about and she advised me that while they are open, it is BERMUDA DAY - a public holiday that Monday since the true holiday falls on Sunday. She said the bus lines will be operating on a limited schedule and to plan ahead. I also read that a lot of businesses are closed unless they have a special license and that taxis will not be operating! From the looks of the 7&8 line to Hamilton, we can get there for dinner but cannot get a bus home till after 10pm! Is this really a shut down of the city? I am alsmost tempted to change our trip if we cannot see/get anywhere (we have a 5 year old with us). My husband had hoped to play golf but not excursions have been released by the ship yet..Could transporatation be an issue because of that day? Many thanks for any information on the true impact.

Many of the stores in Hamilton would be closed, but a number of tourist type do stay open on holidays when ships are in. Plus, the shops in the Clocktower Mall at Dockyard would be open. The taxis do operate on public holidays. You can always book ahead and reserve one if you are concerned about their availability.

On the 25th our annual Bermuda Day half marathon will be held in the morning with runners leaving from Dockyard and heading into Hamilton and then on to the finish line outside of town. It's a big thing here with lots of locals standing along the route all the way from Somerset into town cheering the runners and cycles on (there's a cycle race just prior to the runners heading off). After the marathon is the Bermuda Day Parade around Hamilton with some floats, marching bands and the gombeys. Very colourful and I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

All the normal tourist places like B.U.E.I., the aquarium etc all would be open on the holiday.

Hi BermudaMom. We are doing a land vacation in Bermuda this May. Staying on Shinebone Alley in St George. We will be there for Bermuda Day. Will it be difficult to get to Hamilton for the parade on Front St? We have been cruising to Bermuda for the last few years. Have also done 5 land vacations there. We were staying in Hamilton in 2001 for Bermuda Day and were so disappointed to have the whole day rained it. It poured buckets all day. Hope you won't mind if I ask for so advise as we get closer to going.

Thanks,

Susan

It should not be difficult. One thing with boarding in St. George is it's the beginning of the bus route into Hamilton. Will get crowded further along. They will though operate on holiday schedule I would think. I don't use the bus so don't know if they add any additional capacity for holiday days where there would be special events like the parade in Hamilton. Other locals on this site might know better than me. Likely there will be ferry transport between St. G & Hamilton as well. Both the bus and ferry schedules can be checked online though I don't think they've posted the summer 09 info yet.

May can be a rainy month here but can also be little rain and beautiful weather! Can never tell. I happen to love May as although it is warm, the real heat and humidity haven't yet set in.

Bella On-Line.....

Would you be kind enough to check last summer's ferry schedule for ferrys between the Dockyard and St Georges on holidays?

I was hoping that they would be celebrating Bermuda Day on Sunday but looks like everything will be in full swing on Monday.

Thanks!

The summer 2008 ferry schedule is here:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_7984_283_1766_43/http;/ptpublisher.gov.bm;7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/sea_express/routes_and_schedules/summer_ferry_schedule_2008_0.pdf

The service to St. George's (Orange Line) doesn't look particularly comprehensive. I am thinking that Bermuda wasn't thinking about servicing us cruisers when they set up the schedule. Biggest problem for me is that nothing leaves Dockyard before 8 AM. That will make getting to golf courses a bit more of a challenge. Maybe the taxi drivers have a lobbiest working on the schedulers?

Archived