Question re: Rx goggles...

MamaParrotHead

I think we're going to get DD9 RX goggles and a Jellyfish viewer versus investing the $100 in an Rx mask and have her A.) not dig snorkeling as much as DH and I do, or B.) have her Rx change before we can use it again.

My question is this...her Rx is -2.75 in both eyes, and most goggles only use 0.5 steps (-2.0, -2.5, -3.0, etc.). Does anyone know if it'd be best to go up or down the -0.25 point, and if she'd even be able to see the Rx being off that much?

I know I could call her optometrist and ask, that's my next step. But the office is closed for the evening and I wondered if anyone here knew the answer. Thanks.

I am no pro- but my correcting mask just arrived (in time for my March 7 cruise - hurray) and I will tell you what I learned in this process.

First, to answer your question, everywhere I looked said they would round to up the nearest number. That being said, you may end up with too much correction. I read somewhere else that it is fine to go down because some masks already provide for magnification.

Second, I assume you noticed that all off these products are just for those who are near sighted - they do not correct an astigmatism (sp?) That requires a true Rx.

My last Rx was -6.0 and -6.75 (I know - I can't even go to the bathroom at night without glasses). I looked at the masks where you order each lens and felt it was too much $. Then, on amazon I found a more generic mask by Body Glove. Comes in mild, medium and strong (and the strong was on sale) Strong shows as being good for -4.25 to -6.0. It seems plenty strong to me looking around the house and I am happy with the savings. It was still a lot for a kid and I don't know if they come in small face sizes. But still, the medium goes from -2.25 to -4.0 so could last a few years even if her eyes get worse.

Somewhere else in the internet I saw Rx swim goggles (as oppossed to a mask) for a lot less. These might be okay on the surface but never ever dive below the surface in them. But they might also do the trick if you just her to want to try the sport and would be good if she just wants to do lap swimming too.

My spouse (also nearsighted) and I rented on our last cruise and thought the general magnifiers did the trick. I wanted my own because they don't always have correcting ones at the rental places.

Good luck

I would go down to a weaker power. If the power is too high, I at least, have a tendency to get a headache.

The swim outlet was selling the goggles so cheap recently $9.95, that I bought both a -6.0 and a -6.5. It wasn't worth sending back the one that I didn't need.

For snorkling and scuba diving, I prefer to use the Tusa Liberator with the removable corrective lenses. I have a fairly odd prescription with astigmatism. They are not perfect, but pretty close. I don't even use my prescription mask with the correct prescription any more. Due to other limiting underwater visibility issues, you may not even tell the difference. You can exchange them if your prescription changes. Of course you can always convert them back to the original lenses for someone else. That way the mask is still usable for others if it doesn't work out.

Archived