Formal Night? How formal?

Kelcin

Formal Night dress codes only apply to the Main dining room/s. You do not have to dress in formal wear for other locations on the ship - so you do not have to stay in your room or quit cruising.

Agreed, 63Corvette. That is why there is the buffet dining option, for those who do NOT wish to dress up. The "formal dress" rules are only for the main dining rooms. (On RCI, anyway, where the OP was planning to cruise. I e-mailed them with this exact question, and that is the answer I got.) It does bother me when people don't follow the dining room guidelines, but I couldn't care less what they wear on the rest of the ship while I am dressed in my formal wear! IMO, that sort of "holier than thou" thinking sank with the Titanic!

Yes, the rule is for everyone, but it is NOT for everywhere! As for the traffic light rule: In this case the light is only red in the main dining room, but green everywhere else. If light A is red in Dallas, I don't have to stop at light B in Denver. :D

I hope I am never on a cruise with you, 2sunny. Such my-way-or-the-highway-ism is not very friendly. (Your name is ironic, right??):confused:

I'm giggling at the thought of everyone eating in the Windjammer in full formal Tux and gown... won't happen. Ever.

WOW you wore a suit, I am SO impressed:rolleyes:- my DH is a surgeon and when not is surgery and thus wearing scrubs he too wears a suit and tie. I worked in a business for 30 years where I was an Administrator and I dressed professionally also. I am retired from that business, but now own and run my own my business where I also dress as the occasion calls for.

None of this has 'anything' to do with people following the rules. If it is formal night on a ship, the passengers that wish to eat anywhere, other than their stateroom, are suppose to follow the dress code of the evening. My point was, if they do not wish to follow those rules, they should either stay in their stateroom for the evening OR choose not to cruise. I am not being mean, I am just being honest. I 'really' dislike all of the politically correct stuff. I do not say ANYTHING behind someone's back that I would not say to their face.

It is like a red light on the highway do you only have to stop if you feel like it? Or is 'everyone' suppose to follow the rule? I happen to believe if their is a rule or guideline it is for 'everyone'. I do not consider myself 'above' the rules why do you?

But we would be following the guidelines for the cruise by eating in the WJ and not disturbing anyone's sensibilities by turning up in MDR in anything less than collar and tie on formal night As in the general info. section of the RCL brochure.

But we would be following the guidelines for the cruise by eating in the WJ and not disturbing anyone's sensibilities by turning up in MDR in anything less than collar and tie on formal night As in the general info. section of the RCL brochure.

The post about "you have to dress formally or eat in your cabin" is complete and utter nonsense. You can wear casual clothing in the WJ no matter what night it is. If that disturbs anyone's sensibilities, it is their problem, not yours. :rolleyes:

The post about "you have to dress formally or eat in your cabin" is complete and utter nonsense. You can wear casual clothing in the WJ no matter what night it is. If that disturbs anyone's sensibilities, it is their problem, not yours. :rolleyes:

Thanks Houndmom, that's what we like about the buffet, we can relax and eat. Our last and next cruise is informal and on the last one we met so many who had cruised with the big cruise lines who insisted on formal that they were glad they did not have to dress up

Wow, who knew this would cause such an ongoing debate. It's somewhat entertaining.

Thank you to everyone who contributed nicely and for the entertainment value you brought to the discussion '2sunny'.

Happy sailing to all. I'm setting sail in just 6 more days!!! And I'll post a review after since I found them helpful.

;)

I know one thing. I'm very overweight, and a little cocktail dress just aint gonna work for me :D :o

I am having enough trouble just trying to find a nice blouse that fits me so I don't feel very out of place. Will be doing NCL "Freestyle" but I still don't want to be too casual. I would be out of luck if I had to dress formal. I can't ever find things that look good on me at that size..they always look like couch material :p

Wow, who knew this would cause such an ongoing debate. It's somewhat entertaining.

Thank you to everyone who contributed nicely and for the entertainment value you brought to the discussion '2sunny'.

Happy sailing to all. I'm setting sail in just 6 more days!!! And I'll post a review after since I found them helpful.

;)

Woohoo! I hope you have the best time EVER! I have to wait two more weeks. :cool:

Good to see you here again. I was afraid the Negative Nellies ran you off.

(It has been entertaining in an "I can't believe someone actually said that" sort of way. I have enjoyed it. :cool: )

Traveller 20074: I know one thing. I'm very overweight, and a little cocktail dress just aint gonna work for me

I am having enough trouble just trying to find a nice blouse that fits me so I don't feel very out of place. Will be doing NCL "Freestyle" but I still don't want to be too casual. I would be out of luck if I had to dress formal. I can't ever find things that look good on me at that size..they always look like couch material.

Traveller20074, here is a site that might be of help to you:

http://www.plus-size-clothing.org/plus-size-special-occasion.html

Hope it helps. :)

Thanks Houndmom. I've been going nuts. You know what they say, if you ever want business to increase, plan to be away. It never fails.

By tomorrow I'll say 'whatever, I'm out of here'

And to Traveler20074, if it makes you feel any better, I too shop in the big girl stores. And you're right, floral print and every pattern you can imagine. Not for me. So, I hear ya.

Thanks Houndmom. I've been going nuts. You know what they say, if you ever want business to increase, plan to be away. It never fails.

By tomorrow I'll say 'whatever, I'm out of here'

And to Traveler20074, if it makes you feel any better, I too shop in the big girl stores. And you're right, floral print and every pattern you can imagine. Not for me. So, I hear ya.

I hear you. For us, it's "as soon as you pay for your vacation, one of the critters is going to have a BIG vet bill!" And it has happened again, right on schedule! One of the horses got a nasty abscess in his foot, and we were worried we'd have to leave him home and in pain. I'd have worried the whole cruise... but it turns out all he needed was a course of antibiotics. Whew. Dodged the bullet, and the bill won't come till after our trip! :D

I'm an average size person, but I still don't get why they can't make equally stylish clothes for EVERY size of woman! Size shouldn't matter! :confused:

Whatever! I'm out of here! (Well, in a week and three days, anyway.) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've gone from ball gown to little black dress (in a big ol' size). Airline restrictions and a more relaxed attitude are responsible. The men wear suits. We aren't talking glitzy or sparkly but we certainly wouldn't be thrown out of the MDR. We love eating in the MDR and so we do cocktail dress and suit. We've yet to be asked to leave.

Archived