Drug wars in Mexico - Is it safe for cruisers

PittsburghGirlee

I just did a post on the Carnival board. I was researching this last night, and for all you positive posters - you may be giving bad advice.

Yes, I've been to Cozumel and had a great time. But last night I read about a cruiser who was walking back to his ship and was robbed at gunpoint in Cozumel, in daylight. Cozumel is not immune to the problems.

If you stay alert, aware, and stay with groups you should be fine. But, like another poster, we have changed our Costa Maya plans. It was a long cab ride to Maya Palms, and this is the type of situation they say to avoid with all the unsolved kidnappings of US tourists that have occurred.

Don't believe that it is only border towns. It's all over.

You can go and have a great time, just be smart and informed.

Do Yahoo or Google searches, you'll be surprised what you learn.

Anyone can be robbed or murdered anywhere. Just because someone was robbed going back to the ship in Cozumel does not mean that there is organized bands like the rest of Mexico. Cozumel is one of the safer places you can go. Stay smart and in groups if you go off the main paths but don't be afraid to go on excursions or take a cab somewhere or just shop.

I agree I think it would have been posted here, if something like that did happen.

There are ports I would stay on the ship, Cozumel is not one of them. I asked my wife if she felt safe in Cozumel, and her reply was yes more so than the Bahamas.

I would be most curious at seeing proof of that happening in Cozumel. It is almost impossible. All the local papers, TV and radio, it would be headline news and the talk of the town for days! Even if this happened to a local in an isolated non- tourist location, this would be major news There is massive police and military presence on the island, not from any threat or situation, but semi-fortified to prevent any criminal elements from reaching the island. I can't say it never happened or could never happen in the future, but so highly unlikely

I would have concerns and use caution in Playa de Carmen and anywhere on the mainland after dark. Personally I might not leave the ship area in Belize, USVI and a number of other ports. Safety is the primary reason that Cozumel is the number 1 cruise port for the Western Caribbean.

Unfortunately, the drug wars are spreading east. While, I, personally would not have a problem enjoying Coz anywhere on the island, I would definitely stick to the tourist areas in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. While tourists are not targets, the buzzheads don't care who gets hurt in their war.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-cancun-drugs2-2009mar02,0,3441309.story

We just had a customer return from a cruise last week. He went to Coz, Costa Maya (I think), Belize & one other place. He said they didn't have any trouble at all. I specifically asked about Coz sine that is where I'll be. He said no trouble at all there. Just thought I would pass it along.

We hired someone to take us around to the East side, currently we are sticking with that plan but if something changes so will my plans in the next months. I really want to check out Coconuts, etc but safety first if need be. I look at it no different (right now) than going to another town I am not familiar with. I am not going to be the stupid American tourist flashing cash around and letting it all hang out.

Archived