Environmental Awareness When Traveling Outside the US

jbroons

I thought that I would start this thread because a nice lady started a thread asking about bringing box lunches on island excursions. She was labelled as being selfish and ignorant of Cruise Rules & important environmental ramifications while traveling outside the US.

What do you think are important things to know regarding this so as to educate unaware travelers?

I thought that I would start this thread because a nice lady started a thread asking about bringing box lunches on island excursions. She was labelled as being selfish and ignorant of Cruise Rules & important environmental ramifications while traveling outside the US.

I think you may have misread that post. It was poster #8 that brought the BLT's to shore. I think the OP was just asking a question, a good one at that.

I think you may have misread that post. It was poster #8 that brought the BLT's to shore. I think the OP was just asking a question, a good one at that.

I totally agree...which is why I started this thread. I think the environmental issues outside the US are relatively unknown to most. I wasn't aware of many of the things I read on that thread!!

Missed the original thread. Could you link it so that we can see what those issues were? Something about bringing a BLT on shore???
It's still on page one of this forum, not hard to find, just look for the flames.

As for being environmentally aware: "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" pretty much sums it up.

It's still on page one of this forum, not hard to find, just look for the flames.

As for being environmentally aware: "Take only photographs, leave only footprints" pretty much sums it up.

Nice VegasMan....that does sum it up.

Thanks- yes did find it. And posted. To whit- maybe a brief review of the laws would help. It is NOT illegal to bring all and any food into countries. Each country has different laws. Into the US? Fresh fish for example is perfectly fine. Done legally all the time. It is too easy to simply cry doom and say that you can't do it at all. Better to find out what the regulations are. But I have to go to work, will see where this gets later.

you mean I wasn't supposed to bring back that little island honey on that last stop?? darn. Guess I'll have to go back to return her.

I think the laws are even harsher coming back into the US. When we stopped in Jamaica, we bought a coconut for the water. We were drinking it when we got back to the port building. I figured they'd tell me to get rid of it as I was going through security. I didn't see a trash can anywhere, so I figured they'd have one up by the checkpoint. Not only did they not say anything, but they didn't Xray the coconut or check it for anything??? I was allowed to carry it back on board the ship?? Noone there said anything either.

I think the rules state that you can bring prepackaged foods onshore from the ship, but nothing that is prepared and such. No sandwiches, no salads, but you can take those little cereal boxes.

This is a good topic and again I want to expand on it. Shouldn't everyone try to be aware of more than environmental issues when traveling???

One thing that bothers me is that sometimes people don't respect the cutoms of other countries too. When we were in Progresso, it was explained to us on the bus as we drove along the long port into the city, that the people of Progesso are extremely conservative and nothing like what you would find in other places such as Cozumel or Cancun. This was explicity explained to us. And since you HAD to take a bus to get from the ship down the long pier, I am sure thhis was explained to EVERYONE. Yet, while touring this city, where despite the heat, Mexican people were covered up very modestly, we saw a group from the ship carrying on so badly, and the women were running around in bikinis (and we were not on a beach) and two of the women had literally see through bathing suits.

Now, despite the fact that my DH thought this was great :p I can only imagine what the people of Progresso were thinking.

I think that it would be nice if people took the time to do a little research before they travel someplace and I think it would be even nicer if when they DO travel, and they are told what the rules or even just the customs are, they they should follow them. :)

Here's one from the other thread I find interesting.....Thanks VegasMan!

Here's how, happens ALL the time.

That BLT you stole from the cruise ship has a worm in the tomato. Instead of eating that worm like the cook that made the sandwich intended for you to do, you toss it to the side. The worm crawls from the tomato and starts to eat the nearest island vegetation it can find.

The worm being fat and healthy, then multiplies. Don't ask how one worm can multiply, it just does. Two years later as there are no worm eating birds on this island the worm and all of it's offspring have eaten every piece of vegetation on the island.

With no pretty flowers or palm trees on the island only RCL is willing to take passengers there. Riots break out and soon not even RCL goes there.

Now, if instead of tossing the sandwich had you poured a gallon of DDT or Malathion on the worm you would have killed it. Or created a new string of Malathion and DDT resistant worm.

How do I know this? I havd a B.S. in Agricultural Management from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Go Mustangs.

Now I'm confused. I've brought back at least 3 (ok 5 uh 6) things on this list to the states. Is this meaning I can't buy jewelry?

That list as presented is very deceptive. The list is of items on which there are restrictions.I tried to post just one paragraph and it put the entire thing in- go to the list yourself and read it. It is NOT a list of prohibitions- it is a complex list of this yes, this no, this sometimes, this ok in green not in brown, etc etc.

Archived