To pre-pay or not to pre-pay

Maryalyce

My family and I will be leaving from New York on the Miracle. We have decided to drive and park at the pier. I have been told that reservations are not accepted, also been told that reservations are accepted but not required. Also been told you can pre-pay parking and be guaranteed a spot.. Also been told there is plenty of room and just go there and you will have no problem getting a parking spot. I know members of this board have left from New York. Is it true. Can we just go there and have no problems with parking? Please clarify and many thanks in advance. Maryalyce:confused:

Did you post this on the departure ports board? There may be others who have gone out of New York who can answer the question.

There are also plenty of New Yorkers floating around the Carnival board which should be able to help you if no one responds in the Departure ports board.

My family and I will be leaving from New York on the Miracle. We have decided to drive and park at the pier. I have been told that reservations are not accepted, also been told that reservations are accepted but not required. Also been told you can pre-pay parking and be guaranteed a spot.. Also been told there is plenty of room and just go there and you will have no problem getting a parking spot. I know members of this board have left from New York. Is it true. Can we just go there and have no problems with parking? Please clarify and many thanks in advance. Maryalyce:confused:

I took a cruise from New York two years ago and there was no prepayment just drive up to the pier and there were plenty of spots. If there is a prepayment program that must be new.

What people mean by prepaying is that you pay when you enter the rooftop parking before you get on the ship. MC, Visa, or cash. There's plenty of parking spaces. The passengers on the previous sailing are getting off and leaving in their cars. No reservations. Follow the signs when you enter the terminal area at 55th Street & 12th Avenue. It's $30 a day, including tax.

We always aim to arrive between 11:00-11:30 A.M.

We've done it many, many times with no problem. At the end of the cruise, we have a porter bring the luggage up to the car, and put it in for us. Wonderful!

Thanks so much for sending all replies. When we get to the pier, do we have porters unload our luggage first and then have my daughter drive up the ramp with the car? If, as another CCer pointed out, you may leave from one pier and return to another, are the piers that close that my daughter won't be walking a New York mile to get the car at the end of the cruise? These things are really important for us to know because we will be four women travelling with a LOT of luggage. Thanks again for all your help. Maryalyce

There are porters on the roof at the entrance to the parking lot. In any case, there will be signs and also people to answer your questions. You didn't say how soon you'll be sailing. There is some construction presently going on at the ramp. It's not a problem. I'm just mentioning it. Follow the signs.

The ship usually returns to the same pier. We've never had a problem. You'll be able to see your car from the ship's deck when you arrive back in N.Y.

There are porters on the roof at the entrance to the parking lot. In any case, there will be signs and also people to answer your questions. You didn't say how soon you'll be sailing. There is some construction presently going on at the ramp. It's not a problem. I'm just mentioning it. Follow the signs.

The ship usually returns to the same pier. We've never had a problem. You'll be able to see your car from the ship's deck when you arrive back in N.Y.

? I have never seen porters on the roof. they are always on the first level you drive up to. You drop your luggage and your guests(they can check your checked luggage and wither wait at the curb with the hand luggage or go inside and wait by the escalator down from the roof) by the ship then drive to the end and make a right up to the parking level. I thought the construction is pretty much complete. I have returned to a different pier than I left from most of the time they have you park at the pier that you will arrive back.In any case there are three finger piers located at 48th street(pier88) 50th street pier 90 and 52nd street pier 92. It actually longer from the end of the pier to the front of it then it is between the piers.

each street in Ny is 1/20 of a mile so from pier 88 to pier 92 its 4/20th. a fifth of a mile....about the lenghth of most ships today...

Archived