Samana on Google Earth

marysb

I posted this on the ports board, didn't get any answers, so I thought I would post here.

When you look at the bay, where the tenders dock.....I am assuming it is the little docks on the north side (or right of the bay). How far a walk is it to the long foot bridge to the little island? Is this worth the walk? Can you walk on the bridge? looks interesting, and looks like it should have some good views, but I keep reading how people say they are disappointed if you stay in the port area.

Any comments?

thanks

Mary

The tender dock is the "T" shaped on in the ariel view.

I don't know if that bridge is accessible or not to cruise ship passengers. It looks to me like the access to it is through private property. I would guess that it is about a 10 minute brisk walk to the base of the bridge and about a 5 minute walk out to the island from there.

I would not suggest going there unless you can get some positive reviews here from someone who has been out there. Although the people that we met in the Samana area were nice to us, there are always bad elements in any society, and this island and bridge look to me like an ideal place for an ambush / mugging.

Yikes, is the port that scary?

Not really scary....just a very poor, basic area. We took a tour through NCL (self drive jeep safari) and did not have a single problem. I have heard that just walking near the dock is not the best experience, but we did not see anything negative going on. You will run in to begging, kids selling you things (you can't take any palm frond items back on the ship), and very poor living conditions, by US standards. Just like about 60% of the rest of the world.

It is definitely better than Haiti or Jamaica --- I would not walk around in either of those places, but I might in Samana.

here is a link to some pictures from our Jeep tour that may give you some idea....sorry none are of the "town" that is near the dock.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/SamanaDominicanRepublic

The tender dock is the "T" shaped on in the ariel view.

I don't know if that bridge is accessible or not to cruise ship passengers. It looks to me like the access to it is through private property. I would guess that it is about a 10 minute brisk walk to the base of the bridge and about a 5 minute walk out to the island from there.

I would not suggest going there unless you can get some positive reviews here from someone who has been out there. Although the people that we met in the Samana area were nice to us, there are always bad elements in any society, and this island and bridge look to me like an ideal place for an ambush / mugging.

I think we have pics of that bridge. I know we at least have video of it. IF it is the one I am thinking of it was to private property .. at least when we were there in 2006. I honestly can not wait to go back there this Nov. We loved the C.L. beach break.

I found this about the bridge and apparently it is an hour walk to get out there and back.....

"A few decades ago, there was a push to develop the area, and a bridge was built from the top of one of the hills to one of the islands and then onto another one. Political will changed, and an attempt to build a restaurant on one of the islands was stopped. There is a footbridge right across the bay in front of the Malecon, and it touches both islands. It starts at the top of the hill, goes down and across to the second island, and then it comes back. It is called the 'Bridge to Nowhere'. Quite a hike, but worth it for the photo opportunities! It was a great jaunt, and the view from there was outstanding. We walked along the Malecon and took some pictures. Interspersed at various intervals are these towers that go about 20 feet off the ground. There is a spiral staircase that leads to the top, whereby people can climb up for a better view for pictures."

Archived