Question regarding Miami Taxi fare

c_cruiser

We just returned from our first cruise and something has been bothering me since we got back.

We decided to fly to Miami 1 day early and stayed at a hotel by Bayside Market. We took a Taxi from the airport to the hotel, the fare on the meter was around $22. The driver told us that there is a $3 airport charge on top of the fare. We were surprised by that, because I didn't read it anywhere (and the driver didn't tell us before either). The driver gave me a very bad feeling, but since this is our first time in Miami, we just weren't too sure how the fare works.

On top of the $3 charge, we gave him a $2 tip, when my bf gave him the money, he gave us this disgusted look, and my sweet bf thought the $2 tip wasn't enough, and offered him an extra $1. The driver took the money, left the luggages on the street (not the sidewalk) and sped off. I guess my question is: is the $3 extra charge legitimate.

I just returned from Miami a couple of weeks ago and there was a flat fee from the airport to different Zones in Miami. Meaning no meters were used by the driver. I stayed in South Beach and it was a 28 dollar fee for that Zone. If I am not mistaken, I thought downtown was in a different Zone with a different rate.

If I remember correctly, the pricelist by the taxi stand at the airport indicates that to go downtown, the fare is normally between $19 to $22. That's why it is bugging me that we probably got ripped off. When I asked the front desk at our hotel if there is a $3 airport charge, the person at the front desk avoided my question and told me the meter is normally around $21.

I just want to be sure, so when we cruise again out of Miami, I will know for sure if we are getting ripped off. If I did get ripped off, I am sure not all Miami taxi drivers are like that. In fact, our taxi driver who took us to the port from our hotel was excellent, we gave this driver a $5 tip willingly.

Cab from airport to south beach stuck to the posted flat rates. the cab from the port to the airport asked me to pay the tolls at the port, which I did. I then read the fare guide in the cab: Flat rates from the port to the airport was $21, which includes all other charges. In otherwords, I didnt have to pay the $1. It also said that if you were on a metered rate, the extra charges would be only $1 or $2 depending on what you did, and it listed a few options.

When I arrived at the airport, I handed the cab driver a $20, and told him the $1 I paid earlier brought the total to $21. I paid no tip, because he did not explain what he was doing, only insisted I pay the fee, and was a jerk about it.

So, read the fare guides in the cab, and stick to them.

Archived