book Excursions early, but how early??

Hello, This is my first post after reading several hundred over the past few weeks - this is a great forum :)

My husband and I have booked our first cruise, we are going to the Med on Voyager of the seas this summer. We are not seasoned travellers so are planning on taking the ships excursions so that we do not have any stress about transport. I've read that people suggest booking these excursions early to avoid missing the ones that we want.

I've been checking and have noticed that twice in the past two weeks new excursions for the ports have been added. I wouldn't like to book an excursion then discover that they have added a new one that I would prefer. When would you suggest the best time to book?

I think my only caveat on that advice would be that if a tour is listed as having very limited availability, and you want to do it - GRAB IT!

One of the tours on my upcoming cruise was limited to 14 people; no way was I taking the chance that there would still be slots left when we got onboard. I signed up right away.

Another tour is limited to 8 but has several sessions; still, if I hadn't booked the 14-person tour, I would've booked one of those sessions as well.

When would you suggest the best time to book?

It depends on how important getting a certain excursion is to you. I would say, if you look at the list and there's anything you're absolutely sure you want to do, book it now. Otherwise, don't worry about it too much, maybe wait and do it a few weeks before the cruise just so you don't have to worry about booking this or that once you're actually on vacation and can just relax.

In my experience, they'll offer 20-40 or so ship excursions depending on the port and only maybe 5 will be sold out by your first day on the ship. Sometimes we've waited until we're on board to book our excursions, and in those cases sometimes our first choice is sold out, but there are enough other things we like that we can still find a fun way to spend the day.

This all goes for booking specialty restaurants/events on board too, by the way -- if you know you really want to do the mystery dinner theatre or wine pairings dinner or the like, these things too can sell out.

I agree with DireMongoose when this depends on the situation!

If there is an excursion that you are drawn to and know you do not want ot miss it, do it ASAP. Otherwise, you can do it the first day on the ship. If spots are limited, book it now :D

Specialty dining should be done ASAP because you can pick better times and not be stuck with a REALLY early or late seating.

Hello, thanks everyone for your advice. I think we'll look at the excursions tonight and maybe book our favourite two, then we'll have even more too look forward to! I'm so excited, has anyone ever exploded with the excitement of going on a cruise?! :D

Hello, thanks everyone for your advice. I think we'll look at the excursions tonight and maybe book our favourite two, then we'll have even more too look forward to! I'm so excited, has anyone ever exploded with the excitement of going on a cruise?! :D

No not yet,but nearly, or I wouldn't be typing this :D

I'm more likely to explode when the bills come through for the wife's clothes :eek:

We're off on LOS in June and I've already booked the main ones. Don't want to miss the pyramids and Sphinx or Ephesus. We'll book any extra minor excursions on board

Archived