GSC Snorkel ?

beachbunni77

We plan on bring our own mask and snorkel to GSC, however I read you have to wear a vest. Is this a NCL policy? Do they do this to make you rent their equipment? If we bring our own snorkel and mask will we be told we can't use it if we don't have a vest also? Do anyone know the prices to rent the floats? Any advice on what to do on the island and what not to would be helpful! How is the straw market, it there anything worth buying there or is it just junk? Sailing on the Gem in 26 days, can't wait! Thanks for the help :)

They do require the vest, it is a safety issue. They used to be complimentary but they have recently instituted a charge of, I believe, $5.99. We enjoy the snorkeling, and usually snorkel to the right of the tender lane facing the island, though you can snorkel on either side.

There will be a barbeque, drinks, music, volleyball, lounges and hammocks. I don't know the price of the floats. There is a trail you can walk to an old lightouse. The straw market is small and has the usual trinkets.

We love the day on GSC, very relaxing!

We plan on bring our own mask and snorkel to GSC, however I read you have to wear a vest. Is this a NCL policy? Do they do this to make you rent their equipment? If we bring our own snorkel and mask will we be told we can't use it if we don't have a vest also? Do anyone know the prices to rent the floats? Any advice on what to do on the island and what not to would be helpful! How is the straw market, it there anything worth buying there or is it just junk? Sailing on the Gem in 26 days, can't wait! Thanks for the help :)

I had been thinking of purchasing them as we love snorkling. If you cruise on NCL enough, it would probably be worth it. You can find them at net retailers and on ebay.

No one said anything to us when we didn't have them on over on the quiet side of GSC.....just FYI. I had rented them, but we only used them on the other side.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere NOT to buy and bring straw things back on the ship because of some type of bug? Or...was I dreaming? :o

we just got back from GSC and I noticed that most people were not wearing vests. I had thought that NCL required them but that was not the case last week. But the water was a little cold so not many people were in the water anyway.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere NOT to buy and bring straw things back on the ship because of some type of bug? Or...was I dreaming? :o

We were told not to bring back anything made of green palm leaves. A women was wearing a hat made of palm leaves and they took it from her when she came back to the ship. We were not told why we couldn't bring back palm products, but I just found an article on the internet that said trees in the Caribbean are under threat from the Red Palm Mite and is being unknowingly moved across national borders in souvenirs.

Make sure you read the Freestyle Daily before each port so you know what you can and cannot bring back on the ship.

How is the straw market, it there anything worth buying there or is it just junk? :)

It's just a tiny little place selling Tshirts and other souveniers. Nothing to write home about or save money to go shopping at.

CG

Archived