Best place to snorkel?

Ginger86

Where you looking to pay $100pp and snorkel off a catamarand?

If not, beach snorkling that I know of:

Barbados: Folkstone Marine park, 7 out of 10. $25r/t taxi

St. Lucia: Anse Chastenet, 8.5 out of 10. $60 r/t taxi

Antigua: Long Bay Beach, 7 out of 10. $40 r/t taxi

Does that help?

• 1 month later...

Barbados- Ship snorkel here. Wouldn't recommend it

ST Maartin- Reef Snorkel @ Grand Case(French Side). This was OK.

ST Thomas- Heard there is some really good snorkeling here. We are going to take ferry over to ST Johns and snorkel @ Trunk Bay in January.

We did Long Bay in Antigua, Anse Chastenet in St. Lucia and Trunk Bay on St. John's (from St. Thomas) I highly recommend all three! Our taxi driver in St Lucia was not thrilled about driving us to Anse Chastenet because it is back a rough road. If you have enough time in port you may want to arrange a boat to get you there as the roads in St. Lucia are a bit treacherous (narrow, winding, high, filled with animals, people and passing cars - YIKS!)(Check out Anse C. on-line because they do have water transportation there.) Long Bay had shallow water, Anse was deep, Trunk Bay (and Hawks Nest ? Maybe?) had mixed depths. All were excellent!

• 2 years later...
Where you looking to pay $100pp and snorkel off a catamarand?

If not, beach snorkling that I know of:

Barbados: Folkstone Marine park, 7 out of 10. $25r/t taxi

St. Lucia: Anse Chastenet, 8.5 out of 10. $60 r/t taxi

Antigua: Long Bay Beach, 7 out of 10. $40 r/t taxi

Does that help?

I'll second that vote Hoosier. Did you happen to meet "The King" while on Long Bay Beach? If you did you'll know what I mean...lol

This place is ***** Maybe my favorite snorkeling beach, Long Bay Beach in Antiqua!

Make sure to take your own gear!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am an avid snorkeler but I have been disappointed a few times by the winds and weather. You can make plans that seem just right but if the weather doesn't cooperate you might not be able to snorkel as planned. For example, I had it planned to go to a great snorkel spot on Roatan. But when we got to the island it was pouring down rain and wind making it hopeless to try to snorkel. This November I was in St thomas with a rental car. The weather seemed very nice but a bit windy. I first went to Sapphire bay....but the wind had whipped the waves up big time and the snorkeling visibility was extremely bad. So I went to Koki beach....but same thing, no snorkeling. I was almost ready to give up when I remembered a place I had been to 30 years ago on the other side of St Thomas. Secret Harbor. So we tried there and VOILA, it was very calm and perfect for snorkeling. We had a great time.

So the moral of the story is to plan to snorkel at several spots and hope that the weather cooperates because any one spot can bomb out. Stay flexible if you can and if you can't snorkel in one spot, try another.

By the way my vote goes to St John for the best snorkeling. Best of Luck.

Good advice and absolutely correct by Rsmith. If you can determine which direction the wind is coming from, and pick a beach on the leeward side of the island (where wind is blowing from land out towards water), it will usually be a little calmer.

• 1 month later...

Archived