Spirit Penthouse Suite AB vs AC?

ImPeaches

We are new to NCL and currently are booked in an AC suite (#10008) for a 7 night W. Caribbean cruise. We have an opportunity to upgrade to an AB (#10502) for about $200.

Since the AB cabins are facing the front of the ship, is the balcony too windy? Is there privacy, or can those in the bridge see directly down onto the balcony?

I've seen posts that say the AB have a powder room, but when I look at NCL's website, it only shows the one bath. I'm a bit confused, and haven't been able to get our PCC to call back yet.

For those who have cruised in both/either of these types of cabins, do you recommend the upgrade? My husband and I will be cruising with our 11 yr. old daughter.

Thanks!:)

We are new to NCL and currently are booked in an AC suite (#10008) for a 7 night W. Caribbean cruise. We have an opportunity to upgrade to an AB (#10502) for about $200.

Since the AB cabins are facing the front of the ship, is the balcony too windy? Is there privacy, or can those in the bridge see directly down onto the balcony?

I've seen posts that say the AB have a powder room, but when I look at NCL's website, it only shows the one bath. I'm a bit confused, and haven't been able to get our PCC to call back yet.

For those who have cruised in both/either of these types of cabins, do you recommend the upgrade? My husband and I will be cruising with our 11 yr. old daughter.

We have stayed in the AB twice on the Spirit.10002 and 10502 have a half bath. At night the front drapes have to be closed - if they are open the bridge will send someone to come in and close them. There is alot of movement in these cabins because they are so far forward. We found that the front balcony is unusable while we were moving because of the wind - but never had a privacy issue there. The front balcony is also not very wide in these cabins but there is a side balcony off the bedroom that we were able to use at all time. We have also stayed in a few AC cabins on this ship and the AB's are bigger.

Which ever you choose you will have a great time.

What dates are you cruising? I've read some things about 10502 and the additional half bath, which sounded like a good perk. However, I would also be concerned about the wind issue and movement. We had an aft cabin last year on a HAL cruise and while the aft balconies were fabulous, the aft corner cabins were actually very windy while the ship was underway, and often, the patio furniture on these balconies was blown up against the barriers. Our balcony had two lounge chairs but it would depend upon how we were docked and when we tried to use the patio as to whether we could withstand the heat and sun (Caribbean ports).

We are in 10508 for the week of 3/15/09 and I'm trying to find all the anti-motion solutions I can find! I've looked at the cabins on the front of the ship, but I'm too wimpy to try them.

Hi Robomom!

Sounds like we're on the same cruise! We're leaving out of NOLA on the Spirit on 3/15. We decided to keep our AC suite #10008, even though the extra 1/2 bath in the AB would be nice. We are a bit concerned with being so forward, but we booked at the last minute and this was the only AC suite available. I'm bringing wristbands for possible motion issues, but keeping fingers crossed for calm seas.

We hope to meet you on board---we'll practically be next door. I am cruising with my husband and our (nearly) 12 year old daughter. (Don't worry---she's a quiet one and won't cause any trouble.)

We have several excursions planned for the ports, so we're getting really excited.

Hi Robomom!

Sounds like we're on the same cruise! We're leaving out of NOLA on the Spirit on 3/15. We decided to keep our AC suite #10008, even though the extra 1/2 bath in the AB would be nice. We are a bit concerned with being so forward, but we booked at the last minute and this was the only AC suite available. I'm bringing wristbands for possible motion issues, but keeping fingers crossed for calm seas.

We hope to meet you on board---we'll practically be next door. I am cruising with my husband and our (nearly) 12 year old daughter. (Don't worry---she's a quiet one and won't cause any trouble.)

We have several excursions planned for the ports, so we're getting really excited.

We are taking our 19 year old, as well. She'll probably come and go as she likes, but she's usually not a noisy one. We haven't planned on any excursions, figuring we'll look into them when we get into port. I'm not sure if I'll go onto shore at all this trip as I am recovering from a serious illness and just want to chill out!

I, too, have wrist bands and always wear them. However, in my diving days (many years ago) most people on the dive boats called them "throw up" bands, since they didn't believe they worked. I've had modest results from them, having had spells of motion sickness with them firmly attached to my wrists! But hey! I figure, they sure can't hurt!

Sounds like the AC's are plenty fine, so we'll just send that positive energy thing out for calm seas, too!

• 8 months later...

While I have not sailed on the Spirit - I will be in AB 10002 this December. I have, however, stayed in a front suite on the Jade on a two-week Med cruise earlier this year (May). It will be exactly as windy on these front balconies as it is windy outside (I know that sounds like a smart-aleck answer but I don't mean it that way). The speed the ship is traveling will create some "wind" (wind resistance actually), that never even came close to stoping us from using our balcony any time of day or night. Now - if there is other than calm weather, the wind will increase and - depending on the wind direction - that can make the situation more or less tolerable.

I will tell you that there may have only been one night we didn't use our balcony and that was because of rain not wind. In fact we found on the Jade that by changing the position of our loungers relative to the wind direction, we could find all sorts of calm areas on our balcony as the sides and front of the balconies are solid and can form a wind screen.

One of the best parts of our amazing honeymoon trip was snuggling up in our robes on our loungers while we cruised at night drinking a glass of red wine... I even enjoyed a cigar or two (although I understand that makes me a rule breaker).

We also did not have any problems with the ship's motion - although it was very calm in the Med when we cruised. The seas were quite rough as we headed north out of the Med to France, Belgium and The Netherlands but we still didn't find the motion in our cabin to be upsetting.

I have also cruised in a aft balcony on the old Pride of Alhoha (not a suite) and will tell you my personal preference is to see where we're headed as opposed to where we've been.

Enjoy your cruise,

Jeff

Hey cdnsteelman - Take good care of AB #10002 for us. We will be in it in Jan. We were in #9006 on the Star and it is basicly the same cabin. On the Star it is an owner's suite. We also loved the front balcony and all the room. Having the side balcony made it the best of both worlds. I would choose it over a side cabin anyday.

wms95 - Keep in mind that on the Spirit only the corner ABs have the front and side balcony and the 1/2 bath.

Archived