REVIEW OF "THE SUN" 11/13 part 1

The Cellar Dweller

REVIEW OF “THE SUN’ 11/13

I will start off with embarkment, with a day-to-day review. Entertainment and Restaurants review will follow the day-to-day review.

Embarkment was the best ever. Arrived at the port around 11:15AM. As a Latitudes member (as in the past) used that line to be processed in. Reviewing all documents, identification, picture taken and swiping of your credit card included special forms (permission slip and medical form) because we brought our 16-year-old granddaughter with us. We were sitting ready to board by 11:25AM. Great Service. At 11:45AM we went through security and we arrived in our stateroom by 11:55AM. IMPORTANT: We had booked all our excursions on-line and all tickets for each excursion were on the bed when we arrived. In addition, the Welcoming Letter as a previous guest was also including explaining there would be an invitation to attend a cocktail hour with the Captain would becoming in the next day or so. After removing items from our carried on luggage (two small pieces) we went to lunch and became familiar with the ship. At 2:15PM I went back to our room, our entire luggage had arrived at the door. I’m not sure when it was placed there but two hours after we boarded was great.

Later that day we met several cruise critics who have been conversing over the past several months. One of the members approached NCL late October (by telephone) to arrange a get together. We were little disappointed as they just gave a spot to meet. Most of us assumed they would have supplied few snacks or complimentary drink. But that’s okay, as we became good friends.

What a beautiful ship she is. Well laid out and spacious. Very clean. More to follow.

First night getting to meet people including the Staff. The Cruise Director, Colin Kerr was outstanding. Of all our cruises (11) not only is he a great entertainer, but also he is a people person. Just ask my 16-year-old granddaughter who had the privilege of meeting him. I think she had a crush on him.

Sunday at Sea – some of us needed a TAN badly. Spent most of the day on the pool deck. The Band was not the best. Actually the music was not what I have experienced in the past 10 cruises. Not expecting RAGGEE all the time but once in a while would put you in the mood. The pool deck was laid out with two pools separated by 4 Jacuzzi’s. Pools approximately 6 foot deep (gradual). Days at Sea the chairs were gone by 8:15AM. The bar by the pool is out of the wind and the weather and very comfortable. The upper bar on the sun deck is in the Sun and the wind (maybe that’s why they call it the Sun Deck). You had to hold on to your shirt or hat if wearing one. But it was very nice. Both bars had great staff.

Monday – Yes, we went to Grand Cayman. Bad news for us, because of high winds the reef was off limits, no Stingray City. This excursion was canceled. NOT THE FAULT OF NCL. While most people were disappointed most understood. NCL offered a refund or opt for another excursion. We decided to shop or I should say my wife and granddaughter decided to shop. I went along for the walk. The island has a long way to get back to where it used to be. Many businesses are still boarded up. Lamp poles are in the processes of being replaced. A portion of the pier was being worked on. The landscaping is sporadic. I had to chance to speak to an islander, very pleased to have us spending money. This definitely is a good thing. From talking to fellow cruisers most thought their excursions were good. Plus for NCL

Tuesday – Roatan - No Tender service. Ship is able to dock at the pier. However, this day another ship The Sea also arrived. We were able to dock and discharge passengers. At the end of the pier there is a gate you pass through, like a security gate top of the gate had barbwire and razor wire. You get the impression there has been trouble or problems in the past. Then the Sun moved from the pier to allow the Sea to do the same. The Sun tendered the rest of the day. Very short only took ten minutes to get to the ship. We spent our day on an off ship excursion to Paya Bay Resort. We found this out through a cruise critic. Payment had to be paid in advance. We wired the money few weeks prior to embarkment. They met us at the pier with a van and had a 50minute ride east to the Resort. The road was paved for the most part but the last 20minutes unpaved through the jungle. This resort is private with 2 sandy beached. Has 7 cottages and a community room used for dinners etc. Unfortunately the weather was not the best raining and very windy. Later that day we were able to get out in the boat and my granddaughter and I did some snorkeling. The coral was the best I’ve seen in some time. Roatan is a very high in poverty. It’s sad to see children begging for money. It’s very sad to see the animals with bone protruding from their sides and backs. Enough of that. Look for separate review of Paya Bay.

Wednesday – Belize – What a beautiful port. You Better Belize It. Tender in to this port. Our excursion this time was to the Altun Ha Malayan Ruins. This Ruin was a temple type. Highly recommend this to all. It’s very educational. Pre-dates Jesus. The ride by air condition bus is good way to see part of the Island. Saw many wild iguanas anywhere from foot long to two and a half foot long. The tour guide was excellent. Well worth the money. Bring bug spray the ruins are in the jungle and there are mosquitoes and red aunts. Watch where you walk, the aunt hills are not what you have see before. They are hugh. If you step on one you will be sorry. The shopping is good. Barter till you get what you want. You have to try the Cashew Wine. Made from what we call the cashew nut. It’s actually a seed (I wasn’t aware of that). Duration of the tour was 4 hours plus the shopping my wife and granddaughter did another hour or soooooo.

Thursday- Cozemel- Ship can dock at the pier. We did the Catamaran Snorkel and Beach excursion. This was outstanding. They restrict 60 people per Catamaran. This was sold out very quickly. Board first thing and taken to a spot to snorkel. You can jump off the side of the Catamaran or you can walk off using the ramp at the bow of the catamaran. While there is some coral or fish it’s not the best. Water about 15 foot deep. Cozemel is not noted for its diving etc. While on board they serve Margarita’s, Supreme Beer (there brand) and several types of soda. After an hour we board and traveled to a very nice sandy beach for swimming, use of kayak and volleyball. You can also do horseback riding for a charge. Lunch is not provided but there is a shack that offers food for purchase. We stay on the beach about an hour then we board for the return ride to the ship. Getting to know the people on board is great fun. Ask my granddaughter who met a very nice you man. To bad for her and us she didn’t meet him earlier in the cruise. Yes, they spent lot of time the remainder of the cruise. One more thing, the crew on the catamaran was great. Worth giving them a good tip. The duration of excursion was about 4 hours. The island itself is a very nice.

Friday at Sea – Repeat of Sunday except I was on the deck at 6:45AM would you believe people started to take the chairs. By 7:45AM all the chairs were taken. You have to get there early.

Good review, Cellar Dweller. I've been communicating with your wife, and had to stop by and read your reviews. I'm so glad you enjoyed Belize. When we were on the Sea last year, it was our favorite port. I've read about a lot of people who didn't enjoy it, but we loved it (also did the Altun Ha ruins through NCL). Our tour guides were excellent, and we thought the ruins were magnificent. Hard to believe something like that can be covered up in the jungle.

Also, ditto your comments about Colin Kerr. He is a wonderful cruise director (we were on the Sun in Alaska with him). Very, very funny man. They taped the disembarkation speech, and we must have watched it on the ship's tv channel about 7 or 8 times, laughing the entire time.

Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. I'm hoping we get to do the Sun's caribbean tour from New Orleans within the next couple of years.

Archived