What to do near dock in Puntarenas

jp1

We are taking the zip line tour Mahogany Park and will have some time afterwards. What is there to do near the port in Puntarenas. Is there any shopping or ??? Thanks, JP

There are a quite a number of vendors to the left as you leave the dock and they have a large amount to the usual t-shirts but also a lot of local crafts. Look at some of the woodworkings...some of them are quite impressive.:)

Thanks, Putter!

:confused: Are there any outdoor bars in that area to just have a drink and "people watch"?

Sorry, I didn't notice as we were quite intent on finding sundresses for our little granddaughters.

We are on a cruise this fall that stops in Puntarenas for 12 hours. We were there 3 years ago, but took a long tour (13 hours), and didn't get a chance to see anything around the port area.

This year we weren't looking at doing any tours (last one was enough to last a lifetime! Crazy drivers, almost went off a bridge, narrow roads...not bathroom stops...etc), so we were going to wonder around the port area. Is it safe? Anything to do?

• 3 weeks later...
We are on a cruise this fall that stops in Puntarenas for 12 hours. We were there 3 years ago, but took a long tour (13 hours), and didn't get a chance to see anything around the port area.

This year we weren't looking at doing any tours (last one was enough to last a lifetime! Crazy drivers, almost went off a bridge, narrow roads...not bathroom stops...etc), so we were going to wonder around the port area. Is it safe? Anything to do?

There is a daily boat tour from Puntarenas that goes to an small unpopulated off shore island. You can book it yourself, but sometimes when cruise ships are in, arrangements for passengers can only be made through the cruise ship. It seems to depend on what cruise line you will be on. Contact the tourist office for info. It's a great day, peaceful....but I did not do this on a day when a cruise ship was in. I would think they limit the number of people going to the island because it is kept in a natural state and it is small. The beach has shade trees, hammocks, and a few picnic tables. A self guided nature trail winds around a small area. Puntarenas is not the nicest place in C.R. and there isn't too much to do in the immediate area. I there are some local bars.

This is not a recommendation, but here is a web page that discusses the tour to the above mentioned island, Isla Tortuga.

http://www.costaricauncovered.com/day-tours/cruise-tropical-island.php

I sure didn't take that cruise, but I am saving that web site for future reference. I'd consider that for next time. No white glove service on the one I was on. I must have gone to Sugar Loaf or San Lucas Island.

Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead. The Tortuga Island tour was the only one I uncovered in my research. It looked interesting but I opted to arrange a different tour with Oscar Brown.

Are you doing the 4/26 cruise? I am making arrangements now and I am deciding between the two. I sent the emails so i will see what happens. Decisions decisions!:eek:

Are you doing the 4/26 cruise? . . .

I'm on the cruise and looking forward to the M&M. I see where you haven't given Patti the cabin and dining info. Will make it hard to harass you if we don't have the info. :)

Only 30 days until we sail. :D :D :D :D Can't seem to stop smiling. :)

• 4 months later...

Help!

Can someone PLEASE tell us what to expect when we get off of the ship?

Are there any restarurants/bars overlooking the water?

If we don't take a shore excrusion, will be all right?

Replies would be greatly appreciated.

Help!

Can someone PLEASE tell us what to expect when we get off of the ship?

Are there any restarurants/bars overlooking the water?

If we don't take a shore excrusion, will be all right?

Replies would be greatly appreciated.

Not much to do there. It is a working port for the country. There is an office along the street by the marina that books catamaran sailings to an off shore island, lunch and drinks included. The island we went to is a nature preserve with a beach, shade, and a hiking trail. Great day.

Not much to do there. It is a working port for the country. There is an office along the street by the marina that books catamaran sailings to an off shore island, lunch and drinks included. The island we went to is a nature preserve with a beach, shade, and a hiking trail. Great day.

Thank you for your time to reply. Really appreciate it!

Do you remember the name of this above shore excrusion? HELP! We'd like to avoid it! :D

It was the tour to the hot springs. Was supposed to be 8 hours, but given the roads and traffic, we were hours late, and not the only bus to roll in to finding the ship waiting.

The springs were beautiful and we have often talked about going back to them specifically, but never again from a cruise ship!

It was the tour to the hot springs. Was supposed to be 8 hours, but given the roads and traffic, we were hours late, and not the only bus to roll in to finding the ship waiting.

The springs were beautiful and we have often talked about going back to them specifically, but never again from a cruise ship!

:o Thanks VERY MUCH! We were actually thinking of taking this one ... except the ship's excursion is now saying 10 to 10 1/2 hours. That's a LONG time.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also docking in Puntarenas and would like to know if we could wonder round on our own in town for a while. Have searched the boards but never found anyone else who has done this.

Have seen a video on U-Tube - Walking Tour of Puntarenas - Showed the ocean alongside a road she called the Tourist Avenue (or some such). Looked like it was a lovely walk alongside the ocean with palm trees, etc.

Anyone know how far from the Port/Ship this would be, is this where you get to when you 'turn left' from the pier as in another posting.

Thanks,

Lyn

Archived