Input please: Pearl balcony vs. mini-suite

jeffthx

I'm considering a Pearl cruise in November with my family (wife, 2 kids). My wife and I have been on 7 or so cruises in the past, including NCL, RC, and Carnival. Some were balconies, some were window cabins. It's been a few cruises since we had a balcony, and I'm sold on the idea of spending the extra $$ to go back to a balcony. Looking at the pricing of a Mini-Suite, however, it's around $340 more for us to go up to one of those cabins (over a balcony). What are the major differences, and what opinions are out there about whether the differential is worth it? It's not a make-or-break amount of money, but I'm trying to justify the extra spend to myself. I want to take advantage of the $99 3rd/4th pass promotion going on now, so if I don't book the mini-suite now, I'm worried that I won't be able to keep the same rate for my kids if I decide to upgrade later (or is their rate "locked" once I make the reservation?).

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm considering a Pearl cruise in November with my family (wife, 2 kids). My wife and I have been on 7 or so cruises in the past, including NCL, RC, and Carnival. Some were balconies, some were window cabins. It's been a few cruises since we had a balcony, and I'm sold on the idea of spending the extra $$ to go back to a balcony. Looking at the pricing of a Mini-Suite, however, it's around $340 more for us to go up to one of those cabins (over a balcony). What are the major differences, and what opinions are out there about whether the differential is worth it? It's not a make-or-break amount of money, but I'm trying to justify the extra spend to myself. I want to take advantage of the $99 3rd/4th pass promotion going on now, so if I don't book the mini-suite now, I'm worried that I won't be able to keep the same rate for my kids if I decide to upgrade later (or is their rate "locked" once I make the reservation?).

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I would take the mini... more space for more people.

Looking at the pricing of a Mini-Suite, however, it's around $340 more for us to go up to one of those cabins (over a balcony). What are the major differences, and what opinions are out there about whether the differential is worth it? Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

I just got off the Pearl yesterday and was in a mini suite on deck 11. I would definately go with the suite if you are traveling with kids. It has a bathtub and seperate toilet area in the bathroom. The extra cabin space is nice and there is a curtain that seperates the bed from the couch/tv area for privacy.

I too was in a mini-suite on deck 11. I was with my grown daughter so didn't have any kids with me. Being a mother of 4 I would be a bit concerned about the balcony. Make strick rules with the children ahead of time. I don't think I would allow them out there without an adult. The rail is high enough not to fall over, but if they start playing around and climb up on a chair, they could go over. If you and your wife sleep on the beds and they sleep on the pull out bed near the door, I would be nervous about closing those curtains and not seeing what they are up to. I would lock that balcony door at night.

Sorry for sounding like an alarmist, but when u are a parent u scope the area and these thoughts came in my head even though I had no little ones with me.

Back to your question. Does the regular balcony rooms have the curtain? If not, I think I would go with the mini suite. Also as the other cruiser mentioned the bathrooms have a tub. I did read the mini suites are slightly larger than the balconies.

I don't think you are locked into a price. I booked over a year ago and was checking the ncl site one day and noticed the price went down. I called NCL and they refunded my money. You have to keep on top of this though.

I tried to upload a photo for you, but had difficulty. If u e-mail me I can send it to u directly.

Raine1306@aol.com

I just got off the Pearl on Sunday. Before leaving, I walked around and looked at cabins. Definitely take the mini-suite...more space and the bathroom shower area includes a tub. The pull out couches are bigger than a regular balcony.

Enjoy your cruise and take advantage of that 99 per 3rd and 4th deal quickly!

coka

I booked the mini-suite. It came with some additional OBC (part of their current promotion), so that helped offset (slightly) the higher cabin rate over the balcony. Right after I booked it, I took another look on NCL's site, and the price had gone up $140, so I guess my timing was pretty good. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Jeff

Archived