Lirica

tuffy88

My wife and I will be going on a cruise in Febuary or March, 2005. We have gone on the Norwegian Cruise Line ships each winter for the last 6 years. We were thinking of going this year on the Norwegian Spirit's 9 day cruise to the Southern Carribean. Our travel agent mentioned the MSC Lirica's 11 day Southern Carribean cruise in Febuary and March, 2005. No one from their office had cruised on the Lirica, but she said the price was better than the Spirit. That MSC was trying to get a foothold in the Carribean market and was giving very good prices. That they were a well established cruise line in Europe and well regarded there.

I guess what I am asking has anyone here been on the Lirica? What was your experience with the ship? The service, food, cleanness, ect., and in general how did you like the Lirica? Will look forward to your replies.

Charles

Welcome aboard, Charles!

You will find plenty of Lirica reading (good and not so good) if you check threads here. Also, get a copy of the Nov./Dec issue of Cruise Travel...the Lirica is featured as the "Ship of the Month".

I sailed the Lirica in May and have done several NCL cruises. December 4 I will be on the NCL Sun. This will probably be my last NCL cruise as I do not adapt well to Free Style cruising. I will give it another try. (Never say never!) I am looking forward to the Lirica again next spring.

Perhaps if you tell me what you like about NCL, I will be better able to make a comparison.

Happy sailing!

One of the things we like about Norwegian is Free Style Dining. We haver never had long waits. About 15 min. the most, and that only a couple of times. Usually go right in or only 4 or 5 min. wait. You write you are going on the Sun in December. My wife and I were on the Sun to the Western Carribean in Feb., 2003. It is a great ship. I think you will like it.

Charles

Hi Charles -

Well, there you have it! A major difference...no Free Style on the Lirica! I like traditional dining. Within a couple days a good waiter knows my preferences, will make suggestions,and not give me strange looks when I ask for a large glass of milk with my meal! I was last on the Sun in December, 2002..you're right...it is a nice ship. Comparing ships - I prefer the Lirica. It has much more of ship feel than a floating hotel feel.

My problem with Free Style is that I usually end up at the buffet! Before dinner cocktails with new folks we've met...then someone else shows up...the first couple leaves...don't want to end the conversation...someone else joins in...and next thing you know it's 11 p.m.! I do much better when I can simply say, "We have late seating".

The Norway was my all time favorite ship. Perhaps that will give you some idea of my tastes and preferences!

Happy sailing!

Yo nocaper-

We sailed the "Norway" twice - best cruises EVER!!!

As you can see we even had the "Royal Suite" booked for our 30th Anniversary this July-

We are really looking forward to our "Lirica" cruise March 30 - now only 4 months away-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

We had a wonderful time on the Lirica. She is truly a beautiful ship. The size was a plus not to big and overwhelming .The only bad thing was every thing said in every show was said in 5 languages. It did get a little old after a few shows.This may have changed since January but I don't think so . Have a great time .

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed on the Lirica last April to Panama Canal. We loved it !!

The food was great. If you love pasta, they make it fresh everyday, all different kinds and sauces. 90% of all the food was excellent. service was good, the staff very friendly. the ship was very beautiful and immaculate.

The prices are terrific as they are trying to break into the American market.

They have a group called the animation team that keep the party going all day and night long. they are a great bunch of young people. the entertainment was really good and very professionally done.

hope this helps your decision making.

Jeanne:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked the Lirica this week for 2/11. It will be our first cruise on MSC. We've read good and bad so we'll go with an open mind and see how we like it. Having cruised quite a few times, I think the fact that they do some things differently will be fun.

Carolyn

Today's news release indicates MSC and Mr. Sasso are comitting to this market. Despite very mixed reviews they seem to taking s shot at our market. I wish them well

Friday, January 7

From the putting down roots department: In a sign they plan to be operating in North America for the long haul, MSC Cruises has moved into their permanent headquarters building in Ft. Lauderdale. The 13,000-square-foot facility is next door to the temporary office they rented last summer as they were making plans for this winter's push into the Caribbean. The new offices house the 50-person staff of the executive offices, the sales and marketing departments, back office operations and reservations. The space also will accommodate their expected growth. The line also maintains their original reservation office in New Jersey. In another sign they plan to be in Florida long-term, the freight division transferred their Florida operation from the Port of Miami to Port Everglades (at Ft. Lauderdale), making MSC the largest tenant at Port Everglades. This gives the cruise line more priority in the port's eyes than if they operated a stand-alone seasonal cruise operation at the port, giving them much more clout than cruise cruise lines which have sailed from the port for many years.

My wife and I are on Lirica on 2/15 and we are bringing two other couples. I have done a great deal of research on this ship and its trips to the Caribbean because of all the negative reviews from last year. Bottom line, I think we are all going to have a blast on a beautiful ship. I question a lot of the negative reviews and look forward to a different cruising experience. Lirica is obviously a European experience and I look forward to that even though I have enjoyed a half dozen previous cruises on Celebrity. I have traveled in Europe and enjoyed the change in atmosphere and flavor. Rick Sasso, formerly of Celebrity, is now head of MSC America and it looks like he has ironed out the bumps in the road that were experienced last year but I hope he will keep the flavor of an Italian cruise line. We do not need another cookie cutter cruise experience, there are enough of them already.

Archived