No more Hors d’oeuvres at Captains Party?

beach410

We're off the Conquest 7 day about 3 weeks ago. No horse doovers at the Captain's party but we did have them at the past guest party. Missed the fruit punch, too. Also noticed that the Filet Mignon is now a "Petite Filet" and includes boneless spare ribs for filler. :(

I actually liked the braised short ribs better than the filet on Glory two weeks ago - but yes, it is making up for a smaller filet. I couldn't tell you about the Captain's party - DH took too long to get dressed and by the time we arrived there were no seats. We never even made it in the door. (They were supposed to use all the aft lounges, but everyone was jammed into the Ebony Lounge.) They did have food at the past guest party - while I generally can do without the food, they had some really good mini-caprese salads on toast. However, the blue margaritas were flowing freely and were very good.:D

None at the captains party on Imagination 4 days. Didn't miss them though! We thought they were gross. Drinks were Whiskey Sour, Lime Daquiri, Wine, Champagne, and some non alcoholic pink thing.

DW and I always find a seat near the bar and order call drinks and tip the server well. We never have to wait long for our next drinks! :D

The lack of hor d'orves at the Captains Party did not bother us at all, after all we were headed to a nice dining room foodfest anyway, with all the appetizers, main courses & desserts you want. This way, we could mainly focus on the free drinks, which were plentiful!

I agree! I loved the meatballs they used to have and as much as I'd plan to stay away from them it seemed like a server was always there offering more. This way I can totally resist them lol The past guest party had some kind of chicken salad on a piece of toasted bread that was really good. The rest of the hor d'orves were nothing I'd ever miss. Now I won't have to worry about indulging too much before dinner...well on food that is. I always thought the hor d'orves were a way to get people a little full so we wouldn't order multiple servings of lobster LOL Anyhow less food means more drinks ;)

Have been reading quite a few reviews that mention this, is this fleet wide? How about at the Past guest party?

Most of the Hors d'oeuvres were not that good anyway. I will miss the meat balls though.:(

Most of the Hors d'oeuvres were not that good anyway. I will miss the meat balls though.:(

We were on the Valor end of October and Hors d'oeuvres were served at the Captain's and Past Guest Receptions.

Just off the Victory last week and there were no Hors d'oeuvres at the Captain's, but the Past Guest Reception did have them.

John

There were definatly Hors D'oeuvers at the the past guest party on the Valor (First weekend in febuary), not sure about the Captanis party, we were a little on the late side and figured they were all gone allready.

wait were you the feb 1st valor cruise? your aviator says january second... well point being i was on that cruise!! LOVED the hors doeuvers! the lil like clam cakes filled with tuna...YUM

Yes, it's open to everyone and is typically held for an hour before the first formal night, so people are fancied up a bit. The servers carry around trays of different drinks, such as whisley sours, margaritas, wine, champagne, etc. I've heard you can also order whatever drinks you want (free), but would be good to tip nicely if you do.

We were turned down when my DH asked for something not on the tray on the Glory in january - told that only what was on the tray was available.

December on the Triumph....served at both parties.

January on the Liberty....none at the Captain's party....a few at the past guest..... Also were offering fewer selections for drinks....whiskey sours' date=' something pink, martinis and soft drinks were on the trays.

I'm not surprised they would remove the food as a cost cutting method. These occasions, after all, are receptions...not supposed to be a eating and drinking party.[/quote']

Yes - what we were turned down for was DH's request for a Manhattan - it's kind of been his traditional Captain's Party drink but no longer available. They also seem to have stopped the martinis - it's a way to cut costs if they can switch from all alcohol drinks like those to ones with mixers and very little booze.

I have mixed feeling about the food - I really wish they would serve a little something - too many people imbibe way too much at those parties and could use a little food to soak up some of the alcohol. :eek:

Archived