Jewel of the Seas 10 day Panama Cruise - Just back!!!

Waiting for the next installment...we are booked on the 4/24 PC cruise. Did you have a M&M get together and if so where did they hold it??

We did not attend a M&M but I do believe that there was a role call going for this sailing and I'm pretty sure that they did have one. If I had to guess where it was I would guess the Safari Club as that seemed to be the place that all special events happened.

Thanks for all the info so far. I am going on that cruise on 3rd April and was thinking of doing the Gatun Locks and Canal Zone tour for 2 hours 15 mins. Can you go back to the ship from where you came on or you have to wait in the other place until the ship gets to there??

From what I understood all of the tours take you back to Cristobal Pier so you have to wait until the ship gets there. When we boarded there was a little book that had info on all of the tours and if there was a shorter tour it had a note in it that you would probably have a wait at the pier.

Can you at least say who the captain was? :D Was it Capt James MacDonald?

Yes it was Captain MacDonald! we saw him around the ship quite a bit. Of course everytime we would see him my husband would have to ask "who's driving the ship?" It never got old to him.

I have a question for you, was there many kids on your cruise? I'm going on the same cruise in a couple weeks and I want to know if there is going to be many other kids on a long cruise

There did not seem to be a ton of kids on this sailing but we did see a few. There was a terrific kids pool area with a slide and shallow pool though that really looked like fun!

jdg80-I am really enjoying about your experience. We will be on the JOS 4/3/09. Can't wait!

Question for you- When going into the canal, u said there was someone on the loud speaker giving you info, could it be heard all over the ship, or only in the front where you were? And I see you were off the ship by 8am, what was the earliest time they started disembarking? We are hoping to be off early since our departure time has changed.

Thanks for the help!

jdg80-I am really enjoying about your experience. We will be on the JOS 4/3/09. Can't wait!

Question for you- When going into the canal, u said there was someone on the loud speaker giving you info, could it be heard all over the ship, or only in the front where you were? And I see you were off the ship by 8am, what was the earliest time they started disembarking? We are hoping to be off early since our departure time has changed.

Thanks for the help!

You were able to hear the information in any of the common areas of the ship, just not your room.

I believe they started disembarking around 6:30 am

Did you do any excursions on the cruise? How were they? My husband is not to active and I signed up for bus tours. Hopefully not to much activity.

The only excursion we did through the ship was in Panama, the Grand Tour of Panama. The only issue with mobility is that there were two set of stairs that took you up to the viewing area of the locks.

In the rest of the ports we just got off the ship and found a tour at the docks.

We are going on this cruise next week, including Cartagena.

You would totally be my hero if you could get some information for me. As you get off the ship in Cartagena and walk towards the exit you have to walk through a small gift shop. Set up just outside this gift shop was a lady selling some artwork and photography by a man name Greg Hills (I think). Would you please try to get an email address or website for this guy for me. We really loved one of the pieces and we are kicking ourselves for not buying it.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the great review. You answered all my questions.

I've heard so many say you need to re-position to really experience the canal.

Seems you can experience enough leaving from Fla and returning to Fla. It is now on my gotta book this after our up and coming list!!!

You would totally be my hero if you could get some information for me. As you get off the ship in Cartagena and walk towards the exit you have to walk through a small gift shop. Set up just outside this gift shop was a lady selling some artwork and photography by a man name Greg Hills (I think). Would you please try to get an email address or website for this guy for me. We really loved one of the pieces and we are kicking ourselves for not buying it.

Thank you so much!

Will do. I will post back here if I am able to get the information.

Hi JDG,

Thanks for all your wonderful information. Do you have the daily compass from your Jewel of the Seas 10 day cruise?

If you do, and it is possible can you PLEASE email them to me.

My email address is:

ismeliz@hotmail.com

I have been trying to get them for weeks now.

Thanks a million.

We were on the same cruise over X-mas. For all those going, we had the most amazing tour in Panama. It was the Eco tour on the Changris River. This was recommended by the Explorations desk.

The tour did the observation area also. We drove across the locks, and did a walking tour in the jungle and river boat ride. On the boat ride we saw sloths and monkeys in the trees, huge lizards, many, many different species of birds, and ardvark and some other animals. The tour guide and boat driver were looking for alligators:eek: Thank goodness we didn't find any.

When we got to Cristobal pier, the ship was there. There was a drug sniffing dog walking up and down the line as you waited to get back on the ship. I guess a lot of people have tried smuggling drugs.

I agree with OP. The new city in Categena is nothing special. The old city was very interesting. We went to Inquistion Hall. That was interesting and kind of sick. They have all kinds of torture machine (for different parts of the body) that were used hundreds of years ago on people that were accused of being non-believers.

GC is very expensive. Although, I bought dimond ring and diamond bracelet at a jewlery store called Magnun. The sales person said it would appraise for 30% more. I was in for a very pleasant surprise. I had them appraised at a local jewler. They were appraise for 3X what I paid.:D

The Jewel is a wonderful ship. We had a wonderful time. I am sure that everyone will enjoy their cruise.

Hi JDG,

Thanks for all your wonderful information. Do you have the daily compass from your Jewel of the Seas 10 day cruise?

If you do, and it is possible can you PLEASE email them to me.

My email address is:

ismeliz@hotmail.com

I have been trying to get them for weeks now.

Thanks a million.

Sorry but we threw ours away :( I do know that someone is on the Jewel right now doing a blog from their cruise maybe try to catch up with them. Sorry again I couldn't help.

We just got off the Jewel for the 10 day cruise. We had a fantastic time and I have to say this ship is full of activities. The cruise director Joff Easton host game shows that only the Jewel has. His activities manager Steve is excellent and they make a good team. There crew staff are the most experienced that I have seen on a ship. I seen the belly flop contest and it was so funny. Your husband was such an actor! Steve, AM host this and did a good job. Also, if anyone is interested Steve has a service on both sundays at 9:00 for anyone that wants to worship and does a wonderful job. This is also something I have never seen a crew staff member due on a cruise. All the shows at night were great and the Royal C. Dancers were very good. We also did the murder mystery dinner and we had a wonderful time. We were never bored! We went to almost everythng! We had to come back home to get some sleep from our vacation!

We were on the Feb. 20 sailing and had a wonderful time. The people that we met in the concierge lounge were wonderful and the concierge, Nedere Reid, could not have been more helpful.

Thanks for the poster out there who recommended cabin 1050. It was great and only two cabins down from the lounge.

If anyone has any questions about Jewel, just ask.;)

• 3 weeks later...

jdg80,

Hi, Just got off the jewel on Monday from a 10 nighter. I got the info that you wanted on Greg Hills.

his email is: tazdevilgreg@hotmail.com

his website is: greghillsphoto.com

his Movil is: 318 4657742 (I'm sure that Movil mean cell # to us!).

His work is gorgeous! Happy Shopping! - Clancy ;)

Archived