Ow, my ears!

Houndmom

I love to snorkel, but I have a congenital condition in my ears that makes it uncomfortable to dive down more than 6 or 8 feet. Apparently my eustachian tubes are too narrow. Anyhoo, would ear plugs help, or does anyone have any suggestions? Using a decongestant beforehand helps a tiny bit. I'd love to get closer to the wildlife, but OW, my ears! :confused:

I love to snorkel, but I have a congenital condition in my ears that makes it uncomfortable to dive down more than 6 or 8 feet. Apparently my eustachian tubes are too narrow. Anyhoo, would ear plugs help, or does anyone have any suggestions? Using a decongestant beforehand helps a tiny bit. I'd love to get closer to the wildlife, but OW, my ears! :confused:

Earplugs would only make it worse if you want to dive to any depth and you should not try this. If you think it's water causing your ear pain then you might try ear plugs but confine yourself to floating on the surface with your face in the water.

Many scuba divers take sudafed before diving if they're concerned about being able to equalize the pressure in their ears. Clearing your ears can usually be done by moving your jaw slightly (like you've probably done on an airplane while descending to land) or by exhaling a small amount of air through your nose into your mask while diving.

Earplugs would only make it worse if you want to dive to any depth and you should not try this. If you think it's water causing your ear pain then you might try ear plugs but confine yourself to floating on the surface with your face in the water.

Many scuba divers take sudafed before diving if they're concerned about being able to equalize the pressure in their ears. Clearing your ears can usually be done by moving your jaw slightly (like you've probably done on an airplane while descending to land) or by exhaling a small amount of air through your nose into your mask while diving.

Thanks for the advice. I do the sudafed thing every time. I've never tried exhaling air into my mask. I'll give it a try! :)

If you have about an hour to watch this video http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html it will help you learn several techniques, usually at least one or more will help cure your problem. I too have a narrow right eustacian tube and figured I would never be able to dive due to extreme discomfort when hitting depths past 8 feet. Even when I decided to try and get my OW cert I stupidly put up with the pain through my certification dives. My ears snapped, crackled and popped for three days after those dives. None of the basic techniques tought in our class worked for me (holding nose and blowing, moving jaw, etc.) . Sudafed helped a little but sometimes I still had a hard time equalizing without discomfort or taking a long time in the process.

Then I watched this video and learned to use the Adam's Apple bob technique. Now, a hundred dives later, I don't even think about equalizing- it is an instant and automatic response. I don't take Sudafed and never experience discomfort.

Most people usually act to relieve the inward pressure once discomfort is experienced upon descent. However, the key is to learn skills to address the condition proactively rather than a reactive to pain or discomfort. This is done by positively pressurizing your ears (actually pressuring your eardrums out but not to a level of discomfort) prior to any descent. As you descend the atmospheric pressure will pressurize your eardrums inward. Basically you allow this to happen back to normal eustacion pressure but not beyond a point of discomfort (usually within the first few feet). Then your repeat by pressurizing your eardrums out again and allowing the increased water pressure from your next level of descent to pressure them back to a normal level. As long as you continue this process you should never experience any pain.

Give it a try. It worked for me.

'bob

Bob is right, pre-pressuring works for some too. One thing to also pay attention to is your intitial entry into the water. If you dive in or make a giant stride with the effect that your head reaches four or five feet of depth before you come back to the surface, be sure that you've re-equalized before decending again.

I am in (or just jumped off) the same boat. But to the OP, not to be discouraging, note that I assume these techniques are useful on diving decents. Where you may take several minutes descend down thru the first 10-15 feet. You mentioned snorkling, which for most, is a breath-held fast trip down.

So Bob - would the techniques you use, be effective for short duration 10' snorkle dips?

I am in (or just jumped off) the same boat. But to the OP, not to be discouraging, note that I assume these techniques are useful on diving decents. Where you may take several minutes descend down thru the first 10-15 feet. You mentioned snorkling, which for most, is a breath-held fast trip down.

So Bob - would the techniques you use, be effective for short duration 10' snorkle dips?

Absolutely! The point is that there are several techniques beyond those most commonly known (blowing while holding your nose, moving your jaw, etc). Often it just requires finding the one that works best based on your own physical anotomy. Most people, even those who don't think they can, are capable of successfully equializing if they are willing to take the time to learn what will work for them.

Yes, I also snorkel-actually free dive. While I am not very good at it I can still hit depths of 30' plus using the same method that works for me when I dive. To positively pressurize your ears takes no more than a second. The key is to learn the technique then practice it. After watching Dr. Kays video I started practicing while driving to work, watching TV etc. It is not like I poured my life into it but scuba diving is something I was determined to do so it was worth the effort to practice a few minutes for a week or so.

Incidentally, the greatest pressure changes happen within the first few feet of water. This is simple due to the laws of physics. As an example, a snorkler or diver that may have to equalize say 5 - 8 different times in the first ~33 feet of water will only have to equalize 2 - 4 times in the next ~33' and 1 - 3 times in the next 33' and so on. The point it is if you choose to free/skin dive to depths past 6- 8', even as a snorkler you will most likely need to learn to equalize. But it is worth it. To go beyond the surface opens up a whole new world.

'bob

Archived