Tipping Questions

I have only been on two cruises before. On the RCCL one I tipped at the end of the cruise, on the Disney one we pre-paid tipping because we booked a large group.

I have no problems tipping and give the room porter additional tips each day during the cruise. I also make sure to give the waiter and assistant waiter extra, especially if they have been good, like remembering I like coke with meat, and milk with my tea, etc...

I do have a problem with tipping the dining room head person, or whatever he is called.

On my RCCL cruise, this guy came to our table only once, on the last night, to introduce himself and collect his tip envelopes. I had no idea who he was or what his job was, but I had the envelope ready because it was in the room on the last day with the suggested amount written on it.

Does he have to be tipped? I know it is only like $.75 a day but who is he and what does he do for me?

Personally I would rather give a tip to the chef who came out and talked to me about my meal when I said it was a little too rare. He came and introduced himself and apoligized and asked how red I wanted my food. He was great and asked everyone at the table if they needed or wanted anything else.

Ok, question 2..

Do the waiters, porters etc pool their tips and divide them or do they get to keep the extra we give them for themselves? I had read on another post that when you do automatic tips the tips are pooled and divided up.

I would hate to give an extra amount and have it shared with someone who wasn't the least bit helpful.

Are you talking about the maitre d? I'm sure you will get differing opinions on this, but I feel the same way you do. If they have done something for us, I certainly tip (i.e. changing our table or dinner time), but otherwise I don't tip the maitre d. This is just our preferance...like you, we go above and beyond the pre-paid tips and tip our cabin steward and waiters extra for good service.

Are you talking about the maitre d? I'm sure you will get differing opinions on this, but I feel the same way you do. If they have done something for us, I certainly tip (i.e. changing our table or dinner time), but otherwise I don't tip the maitre d. This is just our preferance...like you, we go above and beyond the pre-paid tips and tip our cabin steward and waiters extra for good service.

It sounds like he is talking about the head waiter, not the Matre D. The head waiter supervises the waiters/assistant waiters in a section of the dining room. Sometimes they are visible and get to know the guests well, but others do more of their work behind the scenes. I personally still tip them the recommended amount even if they were not real visible. The only time I would tip them less (or not at all) would be if I made a reasonable request to them and they were unable to accommodate me and/or if they exhibited a bad attitude towards me.

The tip is for the head waiter - one of several in each dining room. Each HW is assigned a section of the dining room and is responsible for supervising the waiters and asst. waiters in his/her area. Even though you have little contact with him/her, he/she has an impact on the level of service you receive.

The guy who came to your table was the head waiter for your section. Technically he oversees the waiters in a section of the dining room and handles complaints with the service or special requests. There are usually several head waiters who report to the maitre d' and each head waiter oversees 3 or 4 waiters. I've had some good ones and some like the one you mentioned who came by once the first night and once the last. Normally the head waiter should stop by each evening to make sure that everything at your table is fine. Some of them will chat for a few minutes or make recommendations about the upcoming menus. A few cruises ago we had a man at our table who was allergic to peanuts. The head waiter came by each evening with a copy of the next night's menu and noted which items had a risk of peanuts.

If he has been around during the cruise asking if everything is okay I tip the suggested amount. If he shows up the last night having been absent the whole cruise I will not tip for service not rendered. That's my opinion.

Who is the person that is standing in the doorway when you enter the dining room? Is that the head waiter or the Maitre D?

Do we tip the Maitre D? I think I might have tipped the wrong person on our last cruise.

We also tip the head waiter, but don't they give you a seperate envelope to tip the maitre d? That is why I was thinking the OP might be talking about the maitre d...but, yes, I agree the head waiter deserves a tip (except for bad service) but coming to your table to collect the tips seems a bit over the top...

Who is the person that is standing in the doorway when you enter the dining room? Is that the head waiter or the Maitre D?
Usually the head waiters will alternate this role. I've only seen the maitre d' at the entrance a couple of times. I've seen the head waiter with the section of tables by the door there each night once.

We also tip the head waiter, but don't they give you a seperate envelope to tip the maitre d? That is why I was thinking the OP might be talking about the maitre d...but, yes, I agree the head waiter deserves a tip (except for bad service) but coming to your table to collect the tips seems a bit over the top...

They do not give envelopes for the Maitre' D; just for the waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, and room steward.

Thank you all, yes, I was talking about the head waiter.

He never came to the table and introduced himself until the last night when he said "I have been your head waiter for this cruise, I hope everything was to your liking. thank you." Then other people handed him their envelopes. I didn't give mine to him right away because I had added extra when I wasn't sure who he was and figured I could take out once I found out. I put the extra into my waiter's envelope and gave the head waiter just what was recommended, I think it was $2 or $3 back then for a 4 day cruise, I think it was $.50 a day or about that.

Archived