Do you skip the shore excursions?

smazerolle

Do you prefer to skip the shore excursions and explore by yourselves?? I'm pregnant and my husband and I were thinking of skipping the shore excursions and just visiting the ports by ourselves (shopping, beach). Will we miss out on much? Will we regret not doing the excursions???

Do you prefer to skip the shore excursions and explore by yourselves?? I'm pregnant and my husband and I were thinking of skipping the shore excursions and just visiting the ports by ourselves (shopping, beach). Will we miss out on much? Will we regret not doing the excursions???
Here's what you'll miss, LARGE Crowds, and HIGH Prices ! :eek:

We seldom take cruise ship organized shore excursions, only when they offer something we truely want to do and can't get it privately arranged. Review ALL the Ports you'll be stopping at here at CC, if you don't see a thread about something you want, just post a question. Chances are great, someone has done it before and will respond with some suggestions. We have always had great success with private tours or just exploring on our own. Private tours are generally smaller and much more personalized, as well as 30-50% cheaper.

Enjoy your cruise and spend all that money you'll save on your newest addition.

CONGRATULATIONS ! :D

I just got back from a cruise last week that stopped in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West and Grand Cayman. The only excursion we booked was the catamaran snorkel and beach in Coz (quite fun and well worth it). It was great not to be rushed and there was plenty to do. We flopped on a free beach and shopped in Costa Maya, and walked, took pictures and shopped in Key West and Grand Cayman. I don't feel like we missed out by not booking more, only that we didn't have more time in each port. There are plenty of free things for you to do if you are worried about your activity level. Have fun, I hoped this helped.:)

Completely agree with above postings. Have gone on many cruises and originally thought I had to do it all. Faulty thinking! A vacation is time to relax, sleep in, enjoy food made for you, warm ocean breezes, and to spend time with the one you love.

My Honey and I added up what we used to spend on shore excursions, and it was astounding. So now, on our next cruise in a month, we stop at 6 ports, and are only going to go ashore on one. Granted, we have been to all but that one before, but we truly love being on the ship. We also take all the money we would have spent on shore excursions and upgrade to a balcony or suite. It is fabulous, and we don't feel that we're missing out on anything!

You might consider this idea as a final splurge as a couple before becoming a "family".

Congratulations!

THEDUCHESS

We did our own thing at both PdC and Cozumel -- rented a car at the former, taxied to Dzul Ha at the latter. For two people, we probably spent less total for those two port days than for a single ship-purchased shore excursion would have cost either one of us.

The internet makes doing your research that much easier, so just plan ahead. Save your money for good food and good times.

Archived