tour Stingray with no barbs?

Tanbella

Hello I was looking for a place to snorkel that had stingrays but Stings had there barbs removed saw something similar but was in ocho rios looking for one in Cayman? Also if you have any idea what the price per person that will be lovely. Thanks in advance:D

Nope. Not in Cayman.

Cayman is well known for the Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar sites where you can interact with rays. These are open areas in the sea and the rays are not penned in. If they don't want to come, they can just swim away.

The rays in Cayman are wild, albeit habituated to an easy lunch handout. They (mostly) still have their barbs. A few have lost their barbs and/or tails to accidents of some sort. Most still have their barbs.

Stings are rare, but there are perhaps 10 or so per year out of more than 1,000,000 visitors to the stingray sites each year.

There is absolutely no reason to fear these stingrays. I have been there twice, both times accidentally lightly stepping on them (there are everywhere you can not help it) and they do not do anything. They are so used to people, it is very similar to how a cat will rub on your legs lovingly!

I am not nervous or scared of them but my Bf actually is we saw the videos on you tube of how they really come up to people and interact he got sort of freaked out, which is really funny cause he is a "macho man". I really want to go but don't want him to sit on the boat not doing anything.

I did see something in Jamaica, about barbless stingrays but can't remember on which broad I saw it on, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew the name.

Personally, I would not go to a place where the barbs were "removed" or the stingrays were penned. It's just cruel to do that to wild creatures.
Sorry you feel this way, As i understand removal of a barb is no more harmless (or painful) to them then de-clawing a cat. As for them being penned most animals are; In zoos and aquariums, but this is justified cause its in the name of science right, right!. Not all stingrays are "wild" We have plenty little barbless stingrays right in the new jersey aquarium which have been born there. I just thought it would be cool to swim with them. But please if anyone finds out anything let me know. Thanks for your time!:D

Tanbella-- Many animals in zoos/aquariums these days are in danger of becoming extinct. The majority of zoo animals are not used for science purposes, often it is for preservation and they are, for the most part, treated well. I don't agree with "in the name of science" caging either. But I won't even get started on that because is has nothing to do with my original comment.

Stingrays in the wild need their barbs for protection, just the way a cat that lives outside needs its claws. It's not fair to the animal to take that away.

I am not nervous or scared of them but my Bf actually is we saw the videos on you tube of how they really come up to people and interact he got sort of freaked out, which is really funny cause he is a "macho man". I really want to go but don't want him to sit on the boat not doing anything.

I did see something in Jamaica, about barbless stingrays but can't remember on which broad I saw it on, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew the name.

The stingrays only use the barb as a defense mechanism. They are far more interested in the free squid lunch:)

To avoid accidently stepping on one, shuffle your feet along the bottom rather than taking large steps. Also, don't smear squid juice all over - you will have a lot of unexplained hickeys:D

The stingrays feel like the velvet on the nose of a horse. My wife, who is afraid of a lot of critters, had the biggest smile ever when she got to kiss one. Have fun.

Oh, and keep your thumb down when feeding...:rolleyes:

i think this is another case of ignorance being bliss. de-clawing cats in a painful and maiming procedure, and is actually illegal in many countries. it's incredibly sad that people think they are so far above animals that it's ok to maim them and cause them pain in order for humans to enjoy them with less "fear". tell the boyfriend to man up and get over it...tons of little kids visit stingray city without incident, he'll be fine.

also, try googling de-clawing cats. you might find yourself horrified. here's a starter link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/774567/why_declawing_cats_is_cruel_and_unnecessary.html

Sorry you feel this way, As i understand removal of a barb is no more harmless (or painful) to them then de-clawing a cat. As for them being penned most animals are; In zoos and aquariums, but this is justified cause its in the name of science right, right!. Not all stingrays are "wild" We have plenty little barbless stingrays right in the new jersey aquarium which have been born there. I just thought it would be cool to swim with them. But please if anyone finds out anything let me know. Thanks for your time!:D

Beware even if you swim with a stingray without barbs. While feeding one, it bit me. Long story short, I was treated with antibiotics for three months with blood tests every two weeks...possible mycobacterium marinum!

i think this is another case of ignorance being bliss. de-clawing cats in a painful and maiming procedure, and is actually illegal in many countries. it's incredibly sad that people think they are so far above animals that it's ok to maim them and cause them pain in order for humans to enjoy them with less "fear". tell the boyfriend to man up and get over it...tons of little kids visit stingray city without incident, he'll be fine.

also, try googling de-clawing cats. you might find yourself horrified. here's a starter link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/774567/why_declawing_cats_is_cruel_and_unnecessary.html

Agreed! Even if you get popped it is not the end of the world. My daughter was hit mid calf when she was 9. I scrubbed out the wound (put tenderizer on it )put on anti-biotic for a few days and she was still certified on s.c.u.b.a. at 12.

Thanks. It's nice to see that someone shares my beliefs.

"...my Bf actually is we saw the videos on you tube of how they really come up to people and interact he got sort of freaked out, which is really funny cause he is a "macho man"."

Well....I love snorkeling and swimming with all of the colorful little fishies, but found that swimming with stingrays made me a little uncomfortable--some of them are BIG! But it is definitely a unique experience.

"I really want to go but don't want him to sit on the boat not doing anything."

Why not have him go on a different excursion? "Cruise people" are usually pretty friendly and intermingle pretty well, doesn't matter if you're a total stranger! As long as you are friendly, people will be friendly right back. My 69 year-old mom goes on cruises by herself and has no problem with it! Of course she goes on GROUP excursion, does not venture off by herself.

Archived