shortage of flu shots

Riotgrl13

Yes, I was.......................................

But unfortunately he has passed on to Klingon Heaven............

Probably where William Shatner should be these days.....:eek: have you seen his face? Tooooooo many face lifts I'd say.

How's the weather down east? We're having a bad ice storm tonight here in Ontarrrrriarrrrrrrrrrrio.

We have lots of vaccine left............ and due to our compassionate nature, and knowledge that the flu doesn't stop at the borders (you affect us too), we have been giving flu shots free to any Americans that show up for one. We don't even ask for any identification!

There was a smal blurb in our paper that a Windsor doctor had a large supply of flu shots available for US residents, for a cost of $50 per shot.

Where can I find the free ones?

I would never get any kind of innoculation in Mexico or Belize. These are poor countries and God only knows what kind of testing if Flu shots were available, were done on them. Or if they are contaminated like England. I get a flu shot every year and so does my husband but We had the pneumonia shot and as long as We have them. They are good for 10yrs. We should be OK. My Dr. said the big concern with getting the flu was getting pneumonia. That is what kills people, especially people who are elderly, and are high risk. I would rather go without the flu shot then take a chance & obtain the flu shot outside of the US.

There was a smal blurb in our paper that a Windsor doctor had a large supply of flu shots available for US residents, for a cost of $50 per shot.

Maybe someone in the health care field will be able to give you a better answer. Until then, maybe you can do some research and find out where the public clinics are being held in the Canadian city nearest you. We had several where I live.

Beth

The flu shot situation, pricewise, varies across the country. In our area, the only free shots go to those over 65, under 6, and anyone who has had a history of respiratory problems, like asthma. All others pay $20.00 if you get it from a doctor. However, some companies arrange for nurses to come in and give the shot to employees for a reduced price. I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is in other provinces.

The flu shot situation, pricewise, varies across the country. In our area, the only free shots go to those over 65, under 6, and anyone who has had a history of respiratory problems, like asthma. All others pay $20.00 if you get it from a doctor. However, some companies arrange for nurses to come in and give the shot to employees for a reduced price. I'm not entirely sure what the procedure is in other provinces.

It's completely free for everyone in the province of Ontario. The rationale behind that thinking is that if the incidence of flu can be reduced, hospitals, Dr's offices and clinics can have their resources freed up to treat other problems.

Beth

The pharmacist at Healthsmart Pharmacy in Windsor has purchased 1000 extra doses of the flu vaccine from Manitoba. In our area (being so close to the border) there has been much publicity about the free shots being ONLY for Ontario residents because they are paid for by the taxpayers of Ontario. Locally at least, they have been asking for id from everyone and non-residents are denied. However, when a pharmacy can purchase quantities of surplus vaccine they are allowed to sell it to non-residents. There's a big article in today's Windsor Star about this pharmacist in Windsor that will be providing the vaccine at a clinic starting this Saturday. His fee is $50 because he had to pay a premium for the surplus vaccine and he has to pay the RN's and a supervising physician to administer the shots. It seems fair to me that non-residents should pay for the shots as it's not their tax dollars that paid for them in the first place. Apparently, his phone has been ringing off the hook with people more than willing to pay the fee.

Just out of curiosity wizfourfam, would the shot be free if you got it in the states?

They were free with no ID in downtown Toronto.

I have about 40 left at work............ and I'll make a deal with anyone who flys me free to their location aslong as you are aboard a cruise ship:cool: , and have a spare bunk for the ride......... after all you will need a nurse to hold your sore arm for at least a week!:D

DaWoods.......... are u DaWoo......... Tigerda Woods........ or????

I should have told you after I explained how Worf went to Klingon heaven, that he was replaced with Ryker...... different breed tho! (Worf was a chow, Ryker is a weimaraner)

They were free with no ID in downtown Toronto.

I have about 40 left at work............ and I'll make a deal with anyone who flys me free to their location aslong as you are aboard a cruise ship:cool: , and have a spare bunk for the ride......... after all you will need a nurse to hold your sore arm for at least a week!:D

You have made my day!

The pharmacist at Healthsmart Pharmacy in Windsor has purchased 1000 extra doses of the flu vaccine from Manitoba. In our area (being so close to the border) there has been much publicity about the free shots being ONLY for Ontario residents because they are paid for by the taxpayers of Ontario. Locally at least, they have been asking for id from everyone and non-residents are denied. However, when a pharmacy can purchase quantities of surplus vaccine they are allowed to sell it to non-residents. There's a big article in today's Windsor Star about this pharmacist in Windsor that will be providing the vaccine at a clinic starting this Saturday. His fee is $50 because he had to pay a premium for the surplus vaccine and he has to pay the RN's and a supervising physician to administer the shots. It seems fair to me that non-residents should pay for the shots as it's not their tax dollars that paid for them in the first place. Apparently, his phone has been ringing off the hook with people more than willing to pay the fee.

Just out of curiosity wizfourfam, would the shot be free if you got it in the states?

Cost of the shot would depend on which clinic you visited. I think it mostly depends on who hosted the clinic (health department, visiting nurses association, etc) If you are a senior citizen and have medicaire, my understanding is medicaire picks up the tab. In the past I have paid as little as nothing (I am a teachers aid for a public school) and as much as 35.00+ (in a doctors office). Currently there is a shortage in the US and you have to meet certain criteria to receive the shot. No shots available for school system employees. DH is a police officer (first response) and his employer had to cancel their flu shot clinic due to the shortage. We are still checking around for shot availability since DH and DS both qualify under certain health considerations. Since I am basically healthy, I have to keep my fingers crossed I won't get sick! Always on the lookout for flu vaccine!

DaWoods.......... are u DaWoo......... Tigerda Woods........ or????

I should have told you after I explained how Worf went to Klingon heaven, that he was replaced with Ryker...... different breed tho! (Worf was a chow, Ryker is a weimaraner)

Tiger is a distant relative with a better tan. Unfortunately, the golfing gene got lost in the cloning process. :D

Give my best to Ryker.

Due to my occupation i was luckily able to get a flu shot, However, If I had not, I would most definately not go to mexico to get one!

As has been said, the specific flu "bug" that is predicted in the US may not be the same as mexico (If that's how their system even operates), plus sterilazation measures may not be so strong in those countries the OP mentioned, leading to infection or even death.

Scott

Archived