How about us average joes??

chloes nana

[quote name='ladyofficial']I am new to all of this. My husband and I were on the 46 day RCCL, Mariner of the Seas South America cruise and met many of the "Cruise Critic" members. I just thought I would give this a try. Not even sure if I am in the right place.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Welcome to Cruise Critic Ma'am! If you are seeking other RCI fans, you'll probably want to go to the RCI (RCCL) blog where you'll find many. Unless of course, you want to stay here and exchange info with us HAL fans and perhaps discuss serving trays in the Lido:eek:;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='chloes nana'][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple][B][I]I am new to Cruise Critic and to cruising in general. I just started posting and reading last October when I booked our Med. Cruise for 8/27, on the Noordam. I am a retired nurse and my husband is a retired truck driver, we are in our late 50's, and that being said we are your typical average Joes. We worked hard and have saved to make this the first of many adventures we plan to take. We are not the bankers, businessmen, travel agents, and upper echelon folks that have no qualms with letting it be known they only travel in the suites and PH. Okay there are some CC'ers who love the inside cabins and this is not directed towards you, I have found some wonderful people that are more than willing to give advice, and wonderful advice and responses I should add, and others who are very short and seeming to look down, literally, at my questions and comments. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800080]on a recent thread this comment "[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=royalblue]Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers[B][I][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#800080]" is typical to what I am starting to see in alot of threads. It seems everyone was a first timer once, but all seem to have forgotten that simple fact. so my question is: are the average passengers on HAL the friendly helpful ones I run into here mostly, or the stuffy ones that don't want to help and if you interject into a thread they dismiss you rather quickly. I have never sailed before and I hope the dream vacation I am preparing for my DH will be everything he can want and not be a disappointment. Any thoughts or help here?? Thanks to all who have assisted me in the past and all who will before we leave. ;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

While I have to admit I havent looked at the know before you go book in a very long time...I will admit I probably got more out of posts here than the booklet. Its been our experience that we have met a pretty diverse group of people on board. Many of which we consider friends. Dont let posts from some people put you off.

I'm not sure what "average Joe" means. Middle class? You go bowling on Saturday night instead of theatre? I dunno, I do both. So where do I fit in? I've booked suites and inside cabins. Talk about how a good filet mignon should be cooked or a squirrel after a hunt on my grannys farm. Big city sophistication and down home hillbilly. I refuse to be catergorized or stereotyped. I'm neither intimidated by a tuxedo nor offended by blue jeans, again, I can do both. Drink Dom Perignon out of paper cup. Why limit your personal expectations with a statement "I'm a average joe"?

[quote name='RonnieS']I'm not sure what "average Joe" means. Middle class? You go bowling on Saturday night instead of theatre? I dunno, I do both. So where do I fit in? I've booked suites and inside cabins. Talk about how a good filet mignon should be cooked or a squirrel after a hunt on my grannys farm. Big city sophistication and down home hillbilly. I refuse to be catergorized or stereotyped. I'm neither intimidated by a tuxedo nor offended by blue jeans, again, I can do both. Drink Dom Perignon out of paper cup. Why limit your personal expectations with a statement "I'm a average joe"?[/quote]
[B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800080]average joe is a very old phrase, guess if you don't know what it means you might not be one, it is not a stereotype at all,;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]

[quote name='chloes nana'][B][I][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800080]average joe is a very old phrase, guess if you don't know what it means you might not be one, it is not a stereotype at all,;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/QUOTE]

You're right, I'm not. ;)

Well I sometime snub people. I consider myself very rich. I have shook the hand of five presidents of these United States. I have served on various boards and counsels of the city, county and state. I paid for my children's education with out them or me having to borrow any money. Now my children are well adjusted and making their own way. So I do snub someone every now and then who looks down their nose at others and "put on airs" toward those who are less their equal such as I. For I may not be wealthy but am very rich in friends, family and good health. I was blessed with a mother who taught me to respect others and to take up for those who are trying to help themselves. Yep kinda feel sorry for those folks who refuse to associate only with the wealthy and forget about the rich folks some who have money and some not so much, their loss is beyond the value of gold. Really only talking about a very, very few here.. Everyone I have met were alomst to a person was/is polite and gracious and a pleasure to met.. ( the only way I can cruise is because my kids did not move back home ...yet ...:D )Notree

I started cruising in about my mid-thirties and have gone on quite number of trips in the last twenty years or so, however, I can never really remember meeting anyone on board who was overly concerned about what cabin we were in, what our occupations were, or if we were trust fund babies. The topic just doesn't seem to come up. I therefore would not be concerned what others may think or ask as you really have no eed to respond to their inquiries. It really does seem to be a non-issue for us. I don't think anyone really cares which cabin you are in, cause we are all in the same boat so to speak.

Having sailed in just about all catagories I can also tell you that cruising is just great where ever you are. Yes there are times when a particular cabin is noisy, or faulty in some way but this can happen anywhere, not just in an "Average Joes" cabin. So cheer up and don't stress you will feel very comfortable on HAL.

Archived