Horseback riding in Ocho Rios

grayvw

Have anyone gone horseback ridingin Ocho Rios recently? I have seen some old postings on this topic but nothing recently.

A group of us (in our early 30's) are thinking of doing the beach ride. Since most of us have never been on a horse, wondering i f you have any experience (good or bad) with any of the horseback riding tour operators that you could share with us.

I'm debating whether we should do that or just hang out at Magaritaville.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Have anyone gone horseback ridingin Ocho Rios recently? I have seen some old postings on this topic but nothing recently.

A group of us (in our early 30's) are thinking of doing the beach ride. Since most of us have never been on a horse, wondering i f you have any experience (good or bad) with any of the horseback riding tour operators that you could share with us.

Thanks!

My husband and I went horseback riding with Chukka Cove Adventure Tours (via the Princess excursion) and they were excellent! The horses were in much better shape than the ones we rode in Mexico one year! We had a 45 minute ride to the beach where we dismounted and donned our bathing suits. We then remounted different horses for about a 15-20 minute ride in the ocean. There is a little shop where you can buy handmade merchandise. They also take pictures of you while in the water that they sell pretty reasonable. (They put them on a cd for you). The guide that we had (Vern) was awesome! I have an UW camera that we brought along and he would take it from me to take pictures for my husband and I. He even video taped for another person on the ride to the beach. We ended up buying some of their pictures as well but it made us feel like they weren't just doing it for the money...Once everyone in our group had a turn riding in the ocean, we changed back into our riding clothes and headed back to the ranch (another 45 minute ride).

There were some inexperienced riders in our group that did fine. When you are doing the ocean ride, you have a bareback saddle so you won't fall off! :) I have horses of my own, so that wasn't a concern, but there were some in the group that looked pretty relieved to have something to hold on to!

Hope that helps!

Chrissie

They have a website: http://www.chukkacove.com/beach_ride.htm

• 1 month later...

Thanks I reread the description and it says Chukka Blue- not Chukka Cove-it says a 30 minute drive. do the horses only walk or can you trot them and canter? My daughter is a rider and wants to do this but i told her they probably can only walk since it's a trail ride and some will be little children. I would like to go to the falls so I'm trying to discourage this trip.

Thanks!

We are going in mid Feb 2005....RCCL....how was it? any tips? what should we bring? I assume cash for pictures and gifts? Do you have to wear a helmet? My husband is close to the weight limit...do they weigh you?

Chanser

• 2 weeks later...

chanser -- we had fun; bring $$ for tips, drinks, souvenirs...and a CAMERA! Your guide will take pix as you ride along. DS had to wear a helmet because he was under the age cutoff (he was 12.) DD did not (15.) As to weight - I don't remember anyone getting on a scale...;)

hlsess -- it was pretty much a walking pace, although they did let the horses trot a little - whether it was trotting in the true sense I can't say; my daughter's the rider in the family. We rode single-file along a dirt road from the stables to the beach area.

Archived