Duck...help!!

Danno

Or anyone else with knowledge of New York city.

I am trying to find where the cruise ships dock on a map of New York...what do I look for??

It looks like I'm flying in the night before, late 9-10pm...what part of New York should I request a hotel in. Cost is secondary to seeing a bit of the city, (and a slice of REAL NYC pizza), safe would be nice also. In other words I would prefer to stay away from an airport hotel.

What should I do Saturday morning to kill 4-6 hours??

Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

Danno,

The ships leave from the pier located on the west side of the island around 42nd Street.

If you are doing Priceline for a hotel, I would recommend selecting mid-town East. You'll be close enough to everything but away from the maddening crowds in Times Square. It's a very safe area and a quicker trip from LGA, which is located east of the city. (Virtually all of the city is safe these days, so really you can stay just about anywhere.)

On Saturday morning, if the weather is decent, you should get on one of those double-decker busses and see the whole city. They take you to all over, you can get on and off, and it's really the best way to get acquainted with our little town.

Ed

danno

relax...its all good!!!! when i took the horizon in 1991 i left from the pier on the west side hwy (west street) somewhere in the low west 50's. i will get you exactly before you fly into ny even if i have to take a drive by there. as far as hotels...i highly recommend the Hudson 356 w58st tel 212-554-6000.

i stay there quite a bit and usually pay $170 per night for week end rate. call as early as possible it will sell out. rooms are like small studio apt. very similar to a ships cabin. decor is contemporary. GREAT BAR

just called them the ships leave from west street and w48st.

come in earlier if you can. its a convenient area in mid town

How much are you willing to spend on a hotel room? If you want to splurge, there's a new hotel near the river called The Maritime Hotel. The rooms all have giant circular windows, like portholes, and the decor is out of this world. The bars and restaurant are very trendy. I'm sure Duck has been there!

Ed

It's a one night in NY so $200-300 wouldn't hurt my feelings...$79.95 for the Waldorf would be nice but I'm a realist icon_biggrin.gif.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

Now I'm going to ask you the same question you ask when someone posts a "what cruise should I take" question: What's important to you in a hotel? Do you like old or modern, big or boutique, romantic or utilitarian. . .

Give me an idea of what you like and I can help you narrow your choices.

Ed

plaza is great. stood there twice..once for mrs d's birthday and i cant recall the other time. located in a great area on central park west. not very close to the pier but not a bad cab ride either. the last time i stood there some years ago it was $275 per night for the weekend rate. the oak room is a great place to grab a cocktail. mickey mantles is right down the block. although it is good, i dont recommend eating in the place there are much better choices close by. an excellent Indian rest (nirvanna) is right next door. get a window seat since rest is in penthouse overlooking central park GREAT VIEWS. and of course tavren on the green is in the park (again in my opinion there are better places but if you are in ny only once its worth going to). for steaks i like the old homestead on 9th ave.

Danno,

As an infrequent visitor to NYC recommend you do see Times Square. Its absolutely amazing with the rush and bustle that happens there. Free entertainment.

Also, from your posts you've indicated you like entertainment. The NYC theater district is about as good as it gets in North America. Try catching a stageplay if you have the time (and money and book well in advance).

Enjoy, NYC is almost as good as San Fransisco (had to PO Duck off some how).

George & MaryBeth

thay doesnt p me o. but why do you have to try icon_biggrin.gif

by the way...if you want to do a bway show and cant get the tix i have a couple of excelent connections. not free but excellent seats. i will be more than happy to lay the $ out for you

Ed...you are absolutely RIGHT!!! I want a hotel in an area that gives me a sense of New York. The Waldorf would be my first choice but I think that might be a little rich even for a one night treat. An older hotel with a feel of some history would be nice...I won't arrive until about 10pm so a show is out. A morning walk would be great, so a safe area with points of interest would be great.

Thanks for the offer DUCK but I think we'll be fine...by the way when is the duckling due??

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

I actually like the area of the Plaza more than the Waldorf (I've also stayed at both)...I love walking out the door of the Plaza and having the Park right there and all the 5th Avenue shops. I like seeing a play near Times Square but taxiing back and forth from the Plaza.

Duck, no offense be we are allowed to diss you until Easter when we have our smoked barbecued duck. This in retalation for your April 1 prank and can easily be seen in the "Rules" set forth for this board. icon_biggrin.gif

George & MaryBeth

Don't rule out the Waldorf. . .they often have very good weekend specials, especially in the off season.

Others that might fit the bill include:

The Mark

Rihga Royal

Beekman Tower

The Algonquin

The Roosevelt

All are classic NY hotels with lots of history. Most are in mid-town.

The Beekman Tower is one of my favorites. It's close to the United Nations which is beautiful to see in the morning, because it's on the East river where the sun rises. You can walk to Grand Central Station, another must-see. The hotel is a landmark art deco building with tons of old world charm. The area is quiet at night and VERY safe, due to the proximity of the UN.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.affinia.com/6_2_2_1_bee_photo_gallery.cfm

Ed

What a great help you all have been...my only experience with large cities are Toronto and Montreal which sprawl for miles, many miles. I assume all these places are within an moderately easy commute of LGA and the cruise ship pier??

I may just ditch the cruise and spend a week in NYC...maybe not.

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

The pier is located smack in the middle of city on the far west side, meaning that it's a short cab ride from just about any hotel in the city. You wouldn't want to stay too close to the pier, since it is located in an industrial area that can get seedy in places.

When you fly into LGA, you drive into the city from the east. So an East side hotel is more convenient to the airport. When you go through the tunnel into the city, you will be just a few blocks away from the Beekman. Hotels on the West side aren't that much further, but you have to fight crosstown traffic to get there.

When you take the cab to the pier from the East side, you can ask the cabbie to take you through Central Park.

If you want to see more of the city after you check into your stateroom, you can catch a cab from the pier and head downtown to see Ground Zero. Right across from Ground Zero is the best discount department store in the world, Century 21.

Ed

Hi Danno,

To turn the tables a bit, do you happen to know any good hotels in Ottawa?? DH and I will be there at the end of May and haven't booked a hotel yet.

Thanks!

Kelly

Cruises

RCCL Grandeur--1997

RCCL Grandeur--1998

Carnival Triumph--1999

RCCL Voyager--2000

Celebrity Galaxy--2002

Celebrity Galaxy--2003

Danno - the area between Times Square and the Hudson pier is... they don't call it Hell's Kitchen for nothing! Not - today. The Bronx was named after Dutchman Johannes Bronkes farm... But 8th Ave to the river is lonely...

(As an ex-manhatten indian) if I were in your shoes I'd splunge a little and check the net for a "greater" Central Park south hotel deal. They regularly offer "deals" (usually 2 for 1) on weekend Fri./Sat. - off biz bookings. South Central park or the area 'tween it and Duffy ("Times") Square (Sheraton, Omni) is great for a pedestrian wander and a cheap cab to the pier.

Enjoy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ceallaigh:

Hi Danno,

To turn the tables a bit, do you happen to know any good hotels in Ottawa?? DH and I will be there at the end of May and haven't booked a hotel yet.

Thanks!

Kelly

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a true taste of a grand Canadian hotel...the Chateau Laurier. This hotel was featured in America's Castles (go figure).

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

The hotel verdict would seem to be in...my wife says I prefer the Plaza!! I'm not sure why I prefer the Plaza but apparently I have my heart set on it icon_confused.gif.

Thanks all...thanks Renee...thanks Duck...thanks ED!!! Hope you all don't mind I expect I'll have many more inane questions.

You guys don't need to know anything about Toronto do you?? Do you know Toronto has the busiest highway on earth? It also has the most frustrating hockey team on earth!!

Dan

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

The embassy suites in lower manhatten is reasonable (financial district). Free breakfast and eve horderves. It's close to the subway which can take you anywhere quickly. My favorite areas are soho, little italy, and chinatown. (Central park a must). The embassy is right next to the wtc and the memorials around the area and church are numbing. New york is suprising safe (and clean) for such a big city. Janine

Century 5/1/04 DESTINY 4/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;1;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Danno,

Been to or around Toronto many times (mostly to go up to Rice Lake).

As far has who has the most frustrating hockey team, stand in line. How can a team with a goal scorer that tied for first in the NHL finish up in the basement (again). icon_confused.gif

George & MaryBeth

Archived