Qm2 laundry

chriswat

We are sailing on QM2 and wonder if there is a laundry room, and if so, what deck?

There is a laundry room on each deck.

Deck 4 it is Starboard Forward

Deck 5- Portside Aft

Deck 6- Starboard Aft

Deck 8- Portside Aft

Deck 10- Forward

Deck11- Porside Forward

I am certain you will hear many tales about the laundry rooms. Some good, some grim. We have found them to be laughable and a bit of a challenge. Yes, people hog machines and yes some don't work all the time, but I have had wonderful chats with fellow washers as they waited to fill a machine.

We are sailing on QM2 and wonder if there is a laundry room, and if so, what deck?

The laundry on QM2 is FREE--both machines and soap--which is nice. No coins to collect and need to remember. We used the laundry facilities during a transatlantic crossing in '07 without problem. During a 28-day-'09 segment of World Cruise, however, when EVERYONE aboard needed to share and use the laundry, it was a nightmare. Too many people. Too few machines. Consequently, we washed socks (etc) out in our sink and hung in our shower as much as possible to decrease the number of visits to the laundry room. People queued in the laundry and out into the hallway for long periods of time. There wasn't a single chair for those unable to stand. Hallway noise in the early morning resulted in the laundry remaining locked until 9:00, although posted hours were "supposed" to begin at 7:30. There is a "small bag of laundry" service, for I think about $30, which would make sense for someone on a long cruise who didn't stand-up very well. Also, their dry cleaning service was reasonable and EXCELLENT! Sometimes, the mood in the laundry was friendly and sometimes people were miffed because they left and others removed their clothes (often not completely dry) from dryers. There was need of more drying time than coordinated with washer time, which routinely "backed-up" the process. In the end, laundry worked out, but tolerance of queueing is vital on a longer QM2 voyage. And, yes, people did their laundry on whatever floor had the shortest queue, not necessarily the floor where they were staying.

The laundry on QM2 is FREE--both machines and soap--which is nice. No coins to collect and need to remember. We used the laundry facilities during a transatlantic crossing in '07 without problem. During a 28-day-'09 segment of World Cruise, however, when EVERYONE aboard needed to share and use the laundry, it was a nightmare. Too many people. Too few machines. Consequently, we washed socks (etc) out in our sink and hung in our shower as much as possible to decrease the number of visits to the laundry room. People queued in the laundry and out into the hallway for long periods of time. There wasn't a single chair for those unable to stand. Hallway noise in the early morning resulted in the laundry remaining locked until 9:00, although posted hours were "supposed" to begin at 7:30. There is a "small bag of laundry" service, for I think about $30, which would make sense for someone on a long cruise who didn't stand-up very well. Also, their dry cleaning service was reasonable and EXCELLENT! Sometimes, the mood in the laundry was friendly and sometimes people were miffed because they left and others removed their clothes (often not completely dry) from dryers. There was need of more drying time than coordinated with washer time, which routinely "backed-up" the process. In the end, laundry worked out, but tolerance of queueing is vital on a longer QM2 voyage. And, yes, people did their laundry on whatever floor had the shortest queue, not necessarily the floor where they were staying.

I found that I always had enough clothes that I could wait until later. I certainly would not wait in line for a long period of time. That seems a bit silly to me. After all you are on a holiday. By the way I like your name!!!:)

One ugly problem is people opening the dryers a lot to check on them and not starting it up again. I stated doing my laundry right before closing, slipping it into the dryer just before heading off for second seating dinner. The laundry room would be locked up shortly thereafter and I'd pick up my clothes out of the dryer the next morning.

I was a bit wrinkled, but happy.

I have a great idea. Why doesn't Cunard just slip one of those small washers and driers--the ones that sit one on top of the another--into a closet, so that each cabin has its own washing center. No complaints and everyone stays clean.:)

One ugly problem is people opening the dryers a lot to check on them and not starting it up again. I stated doing my laundry right before closing, slipping it into the dryer just before heading off for second seating dinner. The laundry room would be locked up shortly thereafter and I'd pick up my clothes out of the dryer the next morning.

I was a bit wrinkled, but happy.

Are you kidding me? Check the fire hazard warning on dryers left running and unattended. It shouldn't be done at home, much less inside a ship. I would hope the crew member who locks the door turns off all machines!

Similar logic applies to having high wattage appliances in small enclosed spaces such as closets.

We always use the on board laundry/dry cleaning via room service. It is excellent and so very trouble free.

When on vacation, the last thing l need is to start washing, drying and ironing.........No Thanks :eek:

Jackie :)

I don't understand. I put my laundry in a white cloth bag and leave it by the door. One or two days later it is back and the clothes are hanging up.

Very nice, You must have a laundry fairy watching out for you. Pitt or UConn?

Very nice, You must have a laundry fairy watching out for you. Pitt or UConn?

I watched todays game and imho believe Pitt gets away with a lot of physical play which will be called differently in the BIG tournament. Pitt will probably win the the Big East Tournement because they have been allowed to physically dominate the game. I think they will be true to form (choke) and loose in either the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAA tournament.

I watched todays game and imho believe Pitt gets away with a lot of physical play which will be called differently in the BIG tournament. Pitt will probably win the the Big East Tournement because they have been allowed to physically dominate the game. I think they will be true to form (choke) and loose in either the 2nd or 3rd round of the NCAA tournament.

I watched too. I really don't like Pitt, however it seemed some of the commentators have them to win the whole NCAA Tournament. I agree they are very physical and hopefully won't get away with in the Big Dance.:)

There is a laundry room on each deck.

Deck 4 it is Starboard Forward

Deck 5- Portside Aft

Deck 6- Starboard Aft

Deck 8- Portside Aft

Deck 10- Forward

Deck11- Porside Forward

I just looked through your slideshow of the QM2 -- very nice pictures -- and you helped me figure out the crowd on the ship. Now I know I would enjoy it and enjoy myself. Seems to be quite a mix of people. Can't wait to sail on her. Looks like a fabulous ship.

When she came to Halifax (Nova Scotia) on her maiden call a few years ago, I was lucky enough to go with the pilot to meet her so the pilot could board and do his job. What an impressive thing to see the ship from up close! Good Lord!

Archived