Killer Water??

jbroons

Someone mentioned on another board that the antibacterial version of "Wet Ones" is effective in killing norvirus germs. We just bought some of them (the travel pack version) for our cruise next week....hope it works!

People don't necessarily get sick from drinking, or eating food products that have been prepared with 'dirty' water in other countries. It's just that our bodies are used to the 'flora and fauna' in our own local water where we live. When we travel to a different country, we may encounter water that contains elements that our bodies are not used to and have not adapted to, and we have a reaction to that. Some people aren't affected but because I am, I stick to bottled beer in port if I have a drink.

The only problem there is that Noro is a virus... not a bacteria. They aren't effected by the same things...

Mach - Do you know if Purell or other sanitizers are stationed in public areas of the Freedom? Thanks.

Just off the Freedom, and yes, there are hand sanitizers throughout the Lido Deck by the buffet stations.

Sioux

Husband and I went to Cozumel to one of the resorts. I drank 1 or 2 fruity cocktails and literally by the time I was walking back to the ship my stomach was cramping and that night I was horribly sick with stomach pain/vomiting...The good thing is that within about 12 hours I was fine...But I will definitely be more careful when on shore...:o

We've been on four cruises so far and have had something to eat and drink in every port we've been to. For us, sampling the local food is a big part of the travel experience.

We've had pina coladas and guacamole in all of the Mexican Riviera ports, plus Cozumel, ate food from street vendors in Puerto Vallarta (best meal we had on our 5 night trip there), margaritas on Grand Turk, and a marinated calamari salad on Grand Cayman.

No sickness. Although my stomach was a little touchy after eating way too much for 7 to 10 days straight. In fact, I think the worst experience I had was a bad-burp-inducing hot dog in Central Park NYC.

Or the time I tried to combine ice cream, cotton candy, carmel apple, krispy cream, and a yard of margarita in Vegas.:o

Husband and I went to Cozumel to one of the resorts. I drank 1 or 2 fruity cocktails and literally by the time I was walking back to the ship my stomach was cramping and that night I was horribly sick with stomach pain/vomiting...The good thing is that within about 12 hours I was fine...But I will definitely be more careful when on shore...:o

If someone is to get sick like bnsilly, God forbid, does anyone know of medications appropriate for stomach cramping & vomiting? It's quite possibly the only time that I wanted to die quickly (when it happened to me in Dominica).

We've been on four cruises so far and have had something to eat and drink in every port we've been to. For us, sampling the local food is a big part of the travel experience.

We've had pina coladas and guacamole in all of the Mexican Riviera ports, plus Cozumel, ate food from street vendors in Puerto Vallarta (best meal we had on our 5 night trip there), margaritas on Grand Turk, and a marinated calamari salad on Grand Cayman.

No sickness. Although my stomach was a little touchy after eating way too much for 7 to 10 days straight. In fact, I think the worst experience I had was a bad-burp-inducing hot dog in Central Park NYC.

Or the time I tried to combine ice cream, cotton candy, carmel apple, krispy cream, and a yard of margarita in Vegas.:o[/quote]

OMG! Really.....are you serious? Were you at WillieWonkaville??!!:eek:

Thanks Karen. What about ice in cocktails? In Dominican Republic I drank bottled bud/coke for 5 days....and then after one frozen margarita I was dead for three days!!

If you are drinking at a major resort or chain resturant/bar they make their own ice with filtered water. At small local hangouts you may want to avoid drinks with ice in them.

If you are drinking at a major resort or chain resturant/bar they make their own ice with filtered water. At small local hangouts you may want to avoid drinks with ice in them.

Wolfie - I was at Casa de Campo in Dominican Republic when I had that margarita.....major resort!!

My husband spent half our honeymoon in Mexico sick after we had drinks with ice in them. I was sick for a day but he was sick for three days. It really put a damper on things. :)

I do think places like Cozumel are safe but I would stick to bottled beer unless in a resort area that caters to tourists. We were at a small local bar in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and this was years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to have a drink at a hotel in Cozumel.

I guess I am a bit paranoid after our experience. I know my husband is!

My husband spent half our honeymoon in Mexico sick after we had drinks with ice in them. I was sick for a day but he was sick for three days. It really put a damper on things. :)

I do think places like Cozumel are safe but I would stick to bottled beer unless in a resort area that caters to tourists. We were at a small local bar in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and this was years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to have a drink at a hotel in Cozumel.

I guess I am a bit paranoid after our experience. I know my husband is!

rian - I don't blame you for paranoia! It's dangerous....what medication did you guys take?

Or the time I tried to combine ice cream, cotton candy, carmel apple, krispy cream, and a yard of margarita in Vegas.:o[/quote]

OMG! Really.....are you serious? Were you at WillieWonkaville??!!:eek:

Dead serious. It falls under the heading of "what was I thinking". Just too much food and not enough time.

We started out at the Excaliber in Vegas and I just had to have a Krispy Kreme, since I never had one before (they only have one in Oregon, and it's 2 hours from where I live). Then we walked by a cotton candy stand inside of the MGM Grand. Then I saw the margaritas and just had to have one of those. But the ice cream stand was right across the way, so I figured why not? It's Vegas, have fun, right? Surely ice cream and margaritas mix (they don't, by the way). Then my hubby got a carmel apple, and I just had to have some of that too. This is all within a span of about 30-45 minutes.

Let's just say that I didn't get to keep my food, but I was good to go an hour later.

Dead serious. It falls under the heading of "what was I thinking". Just too much food and not enough time.

We started out at the Excaliber in Vegas and I just had to have a Krispy Kreme, since I never had one before (they only have one in Oregon, and it's 2 hours from where I live). Then we walked by a cotton candy stand inside of the MGM Grand. Then I saw the margaritas and just had to have one of those. But the ice cream stand was right across the way, so I figured why not? It's Vegas, have fun, right? Surely ice cream and margaritas mix (they don't, by the way). Then my hubby got a carmel apple, and I just had to have some of that too. This is all within a span of about 30-45 minutes.

Let's just say that I didn't get to keep my food, but I was good to go an hour later.

WOW....you were probably good to go because, first, the food "went away" and, second, all that fresh oxygen in Vegas hotel rooms!!!

I love where you live, btw....it's beautiful (krispy kremes or not).

Archived