Sun vs. Dawn

whival

Hi all,

We're going on a cruise on the Star in 3 weeks (woo hoo). When we're on the cruise we want to book our next cruise :rolleyes: for March 2011 (sigh). I notice the 14 day Caribbean cruises on the Dawn and the Star are both very competively priced. Which would you choose? Or would you choose neither. FYI- Our children will be 8 and 6 at the time of sailing.

TIA

Justine

Hi all,

We're going on a cruise on the Star in 3 weeks (woo hoo). When we're on the cruise we want to book our next cruise :rolleyes: for March 2011 (sigh). I notice the 14 day Caribbean cruises on the Dawn and the Star are both very competively priced. Which would you choose? Or would you choose neither. FYI- Our children will be 8 and 6 at the time of sailing.

TIA

Justine

As far as ships, they are both a lot a like. Do you mind giving the dates you are thinking about so we can look at the itinenaries? That might help us give you some advise.

BTW.. you will LOVE the Star on your upcoming cruise. She is our favoite ship.

Hi all,

We're going on a cruise on the Star in 3 weeks (woo hoo). When we're on the cruise we want to book our next cruise :rolleyes: for March 2011 (sigh). I notice the 14 day Caribbean cruises on the Dawn and the Star (Sun) are both very competively priced. Which would you choose? Or would you choose neither. FYI- Our children will be 8 and 6 at the time of sailing.

TIA

Justine

Didn't you mean "Dawn and Sun"? How about the itineraries? If one is more appealing than the other, I'd choose that one. The Dawn and Star are sister ships, so if you like the Star, you'll like the Dawn, too. The Sun is smaller, which I really like, and its interiors are not as vibrant as those on the Star and Dawn, with lots of cherry wood throughout. I actually prefer the brighter, more vibrant interiors, but I do love the Sun. Other plusses about the Sun are its Great Outdoors Cafe, on the aft of the Pool Deck, just outside the buffet; Il Adagio, which an alternative restaurant serving delicious Italian food; Las Ramblas Bar and Restaurant, a good place to go for breakfast and lunch, and where they serve tapas in the evenings (with entertainment); and the Windjammer Bar. I don't think you'd go wrong with either ship!

Since you are going on the Star soon this should help with your decision. As mentioned earlier the Star and the Dawn are sister ships. So if your children really enjoy the kid's pools and hot tubs on the aft of the Star, plus the size and location of the kid's club then go on the Dawn. If those things are not important to you or your children then you could consider the Sun.

The Sun and the Sky (aka: Pride of Aloha) have similar kid's facilities. The kid's pool is not much bigger than a large hot tub and the kid's club is shoved extreme forward enclosed in the bow; appears to almost be an after thought in design. On our Hawaii cruise during rough seas the kid's club was abandoned and the children were moved to a conference room in the middle of the ship due to seasickness.

We knew before going on the cruise about the lack of kid's club facilities, but the Pride of Aloha offered the itinerary we wanted. With close to the same itineraries in the Caribbean we would chose the Dawn over the Sun, so that our DS would also have a good facilities on the cruise. Also this is not a knock of the kid's club crew; they did a great job working in a poor location and with poor facilities.

Archived