Gem - wireless in cabin? AF Mini.

SuiteCruiser

Hi folks,

This is my first time in an AF, and the first time on the Gem. On the Dawn, in an AB we had wired internet access in the cabin. If I bring my laptop and pay for service on the Gem, will we be able to connect in the cabin, or will we have to go to a hotspot on the ship somewhere?

I'm travelling with someone who wants to use skype so her son can have a video call with his dad who is staying at home, and it might not be ideal if they have to do it in the atrium!

Sorry if it's been asked before, the search function isn't working for me today.

Thanks for your help!

Hi folks,

This is my first time in an AF, and the first time on the Gem. On the Dawn, in an AB we had wired internet access in the cabin. If I bring my laptop and pay for service on the Gem, will we be able to connect in the cabin, or will we have to go to a hotspot on the ship somewhere?

I'm travelling with someone who wants to use skype so her son can have a video call with his dad who is staying at home, and it might not be ideal if they have to do it in the atrium!

Sorry if it's been asked before, the search function isn't working for me today.

Thanks for your help!

We were on the Pearl in an AF , no wireless in the cabin but it did have an ethernet outlet ( make sure you bring an ethernet cord)

Depends where the AF is located. If you are near one of the ABs you will have WiFi. You will have an Ethernet jack at a minimum.

Now about Skype. The last I heard it is blocked onboard since it is a bandwidth hog for the limited uplink.

OR you can stand in front of the ship cam on deck while you are on your lap-top :D

Funny stuff!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think we won't count on it, interesting about Skype specifically. Really appreciate it.

I know on the Dawn our neighbours in an AF had the plug for the wired internet but it wasn't functioning, I thought maybe they only had the full suites ethernet functional, but it could just be that outlet was bad.

I guess we'll stick with old-fashioned email for updates.

Thanks again!

This is all I can tell you.

We sailed on the Gem in Feb this year and my friend used his laptop in his room on the 8 floor (oceanview cabin). I do believe the entire ship is now wireless.

My other friend was on the Pearl and Skyped me from her cabin. So Skype seems to work fine. I watched her eat dinner in her cabin.

Funny stuff!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think we won't count on it, interesting about Skype specifically. Really appreciate it.

I know on the Dawn our neighbours in an AF had the plug for the wired internet but it wasn't functioning, I thought maybe they only had the full suites ethernet functional, but it could just be that outlet was bad.

I guess we'll stick with old-fashioned email for updates.

Thanks again!

It wasn't working? or they did not pay for a plan and have it turned on?

It wasn't working? or they did not pay for a plan and have it turned on?

It wasn't working. They had paid for a plan, but had to go to a hotspot and use wireless because the ethernet in their cabin didn't work. I (wrongly so, it seems) assumed that they only had the ethernet set up for the suites as the rest of our party in OV didn't even have the ethernet outlet in their cabin.

Good to know the wireless will work everywhere though! I will definitely bring my laptop along.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Gf and I sailed Gem in Dec '08 in an AF aft and had great wireless signal. We also got a great signal in the Garden Cafe. Paid for the larger time package and used almost all of it over the week. btw you also get unlimited free acess to NCL.com the entire trip. We had read it was VERY slow and tho it wasn't really fast it was faster than we expected after reading the CC boards. Hope you have a great trip, I think you will!!!!!

Gf and I sailed Gem in Dec '08 in an AF aft and had great wireless signal. We also got a great signal in the Garden Cafe. Paid for the larger time package and used almost all of it over the week. btw you also get unlimited free acess to NCL.com the entire trip. We had read it was VERY slow and tho it wasn't really fast it was faster than we expected after reading the CC boards. Hope you have a great trip, I think you will!!!!!

Awesome! Thank you & I'm sure we will have a great trip!

speed will vary depending on how many other people are sharing the uplink at one time.

Have heard Skype has worked for some, but I surely would think you could get a video signal. The speed is somewhat better than dial up, but not much.

Remember, it is $.75 to $.40 a minute while logged on.

Cell phones at sea are $2.50 a minute using your phone.

Archived