First Time Cruise -- Summit - Mediterranean - early Sept

40th celebration

We are making final plans to take Celebrity 12 nt. Mediterranean Sept. 7-19. Would appreciate any suggestions for shore excursions. Having been to Rome several times think we will pass on that city and rather stay closer to port. At the moment we are holding a stateroom on Vista deck mid ship with veranda. Any experienced cruisers wish to comment on the location?

As to formal nights - just what is needed?

Thanks for any information -- surely I'll be back with more questions.

We are making final plans to take Celebrity 12 nt. Mediterranean Sept. 7-19. Would appreciate any suggestions for shore excursions. Having been to Rome several times think we will pass on that city and rather stay closer to port. At the moment we are holding a stateroom on Vista deck mid ship with veranda. Any experienced cruisers wish to comment on the location?

You don't say what your itinerary is, but... may I suggest getting on your Roll Call and arranging some private tours. They are definitely the way to go.

The Vista deck is great. Have you cruised before?? The Europe board would really have some great information for you also.

I am also taking that cruise but the one just ahead of you on Aug 26th. I am also interested in shore excursions so I thought I would tag along and read your replies here rather than post my own question. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary so congratulations to you as well!

To answer the 'formal' part of your question: anything from dressy pants and a glittery top to an all-out ball gown will do! I try to pack the nicest clothes I have that fit reasonably in my suitcase--short black cocktail dress, mid calf lacy dress, and a pair of velvet pants with a nice top is what I ended up with on our 14 day cruise last Fall. For DH, a tux, rented or brought, or a dark suit with a variety of ties is fine.

Does that help? It's a great itinerary--and don't discount doing at least some ports on your own--you can have great days just wandering. Also the train to Rome is very easy if you want a low key day there--not much to do in/around Civitavecchia. Lots of info on the Med boards.

Cathy

:) Hi did a similar cruise 12 day Brilliance OS. Had a blast with the smaller private tours. Yes, I was nervous giving my credit info over the net but just stick to those co. highly recommended. Just cross check the person writing the comments. Hook up with your fellow cruisers. Met some great people & had experiences my parents (50-60 years old) did not get to enjoy (they stayed with the ship's tours).

Have Fun!

Hi 40th celebration.

If you are an adventurous couple, on your shore days do your own thing, travel is excellent & cheap in most places, & you are also not tied down to any time table,except of course getting back to the ship. Part of the holiday experience, for me, is to go on Tripadvisor & do lots of planning,being retired I have lots of time ,you may not have the time.

My wife & I did an Adriatic cruise in Oct/09,amongst the ports we had were Venice & Istanbul,both very easy Ports of Call. We did our own thing,& discussing it over dinner with our table companions we found we did roughly the same things @ at the least a tenth of the tour cost.

Which ever way you choose to do it,you will enjoy yourselves.

Cheers

We were on the summit for a Med cruise on Oct 2008 and it was spectacular. We had cabin #7199 and #7202 and 4 other cabins in between all in the aft of the ship. Our cabins were huge but our decks were the largest on the ship except for maybe some suites and the penthouse which is what we looked down on. We lucked out with the 2 family cabins which never booked up and I called in the last 30 days and we were able to have them. They are very private and not only do you get the back of the ship you also get a very private large side view. It was phenomenal.

We used private tours at all the ports and I cannot say enough about how fantastic they were. We covered so much more ground with great professionals and because we had a large group it was very cost effective. If you are interested I can get the name of each tour company I used. I am out of town and do not remember each one.

I do know the one we used in Florence, Naples, Rome and Venice. Easy Italy tours. They were so over the top I can hardly wait to go back and use them again. We had first class treatment every place we went. It was amazing they must know everyone. It did not matter what city we were in we always managed the best tables in restaurants and literally no lines anywhere. Good luck!!! Michelle:)

Hi 40th,

We are booked on the same cruise (also on Vista Deck). There is a Summit Connections Roll Call thread started for our 7-19 Med Cruise located at.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=886590

You might also want to book into the Cruise Critic Celebrity Connections party at

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruisecritic/home.do

Look forward to seeing you there.

Rich

Archived